Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2019 11:18:03 AM EDT
My buddy is thinking of picking up a Universal M1 carbine for $300. He said that it has some surface rust, but he is planning on cleaning it up to resell it. So my question is, is an early 60's Universal carbine worth buying for that price with the intention of flipping?

Here are the Pics.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
So he has a FFL?

What you mean is he wants to see if he likes them and if he doesn't, he won't lose money if he sells it, right?

Earlier Universals are fine but they don't have the following the USGI one's have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Not great quality, and a poor reputation for reliability. Not the sort of thing I'd be interested in either owning or passing off to someone else.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So he has a FFL?

What you mean is he wants to see if he likes them and if he doesn't, he won't lose money if he sells it, right?

Earlier Universals are fine but they don't have the following the USGI one's have.
View Quote
Of course. Do you think that is a fair price?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not great quality, and a poor reputation for reliability.
View Quote
That's what I've been reading.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he has a FFL?

Probably going price unless it's rusty but demand..........he'll have to find someone who wants a M1 carbine but doesn't want to spend the coin on a new quality one or a decent USGI one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's an early GI compatible, it's @ least worth $300 if it's running.  I paid $500 last year for a drilled & tapped Inland in a Choate folder.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it's an early GI compatible, it's @ least worth $300 if it's running.  I paid $500 last year for a drilled & tapped Inland in a Choate folder.
View Quote
Cool. I told my buddy to talk him down to $250 and he got it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the link!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#10]
$250 is a great deal on an early Universal.  If anything breaks, replace w/ GI parts.

The later Universals are orphans, as they are mostly incompatible w/ GI parts, and Universal is gone, so no parts supply.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a second gen Universal carbine I picked up at a show in NY back in the 80's... Other than the bolt, the gas piston, and the trigger parts, nothing is compatible with a USGI version. That being said, it was in virtually new condition when I got it, and other than replacing the recoil spring, I have put at least 2k rounds through it over the years and it has been nothing but reliable and accurate (3 to 4 inches at 100 yds). It does have a funny microgroove style barrel though (maybe they got some from Marlin?). While I could probably sell it quickly at a decent price ($400 to $500), I will hang on to it as I have virtually nothing in it $ wise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Local shop has one for $275, appears to be a gen 2 based on links provided.  
SN#:104xxx

Asking$275
Should I Fo?

Edited to correct serial number.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The later Universal M1 is what gave Universal the bad reputation. Early Universals are mostly made from USGI surplus parts, could be all surplus parts except receiver. Then at some point in the early ones they used different type front sight with a barrel that is 1/4" longer, bayonet won't latch on it because of that. They also started using an alloy trigger housing at some point, but it is interchangeable with GI trigger housing, later model wide trigger housing could not be. I would buy an early one for $300 if I ran across one and had the $.

I kind of like the high wood stock and hand guard that touches it keeping dirt out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Local shop has one for $275, appears to be a gen 2 based on links provided.  
SN#:104xxx

Asking$275
Should I Fo?

Edited to correct serial number.
View Quote
If it's the two width trigger group/magazine housing, and doesn't have a cut all the way through the oprod for the bolt lug, yes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it's the two width trigger group/magazine housing, and doesn't have a cut all the way through the oprod for the bolt lug, yes.
View Quote
@TMB-1
@BackBencher

Thank you for he replies.  I’m going back this afternoon to look at it again.  Please forgive my ignorance, when you mention double width trigger group what is that referring to?  Where do I look to check the oprod?  Thank you again for your insight!

Rdb2403
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The Universal you pictured is an early one....and all USGI parts should fit....

300 is a good deal
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If the magwell/trigger housing is two different widths, then it's GI compatible; if it's a single width straight back from the magwell, then it's not GI compatible and parts are no longer made.

GI & GI compatible oprods have the bolt lug cut in a slot on the INSIDE of the oprod right by the oprod handle; late Universal carbines' oprod just has the cut all the way through the oprod so you can see the lug, and they are not GI compatible & the part is no longer made.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m sorry, I realize I’m hijacking OP’s thread.  Thank you for your help and I’ll step out now.  Thank you again for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top