Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2022 2:29:26 AM EDT
Does anyone have inside info on why Underwood loads their 45 Super ‘down’ to 1100fps.
That’s roughly a 45 ACP+P. I’m inquiring about the penetrator so bullet deformity should not be an issue.

Buffalo Bore lists much higher velocities.

Underwood is a fine company and I’m expecting there is a solid reason for not pushing it to 1200 or more.
I’ve spent hours on reloader forums and 1100 is the low end.

I appreciate any insight you can offer or if there is an ‘in-house’ Underwood rep that would be great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps to keep them subsonic?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perhaps to keep them subsonic?
View Quote

If you dig into their specs it’s listed as ‘subsonic’ but that may be a carryover from general description.
Of course it would depend on barrel lengths as far as subs.

I understand on their ‘defender’ offering staying at 1100 may prevent excessive penetration.
On an Extreme Penetrator one would ponder that they would want to max it out.  

It’s a guess on my part but I wonder if the powder they are using hits their pressure limit at 1100.

A screwdriver profile solid copper 200G at 1200 fps should be possible with the right powder.
Maybe it’s a liability issue but Buffalo Bore doesn’t seem to have a problem in that range.

This question has nothing to do with a proper personal carry round. I understand penetration windows.

It’s just about EXTREME PENETRATION. Real world application is not part of my curiosity. Simply from a ballistics standpoint why wouldn’t they drive the solid to the max?

I’m new to ‘Super’ and couldn’t find any Starline. My intent is to safely obtain 200G solids at 1200 if it’s practical. This is the best place I trust for the collective knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Probably because it's a solid copper bullet.
View Quote

I’m a hillbilly. Explain why this would be a limiter please.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’m a hillbilly. Explain why this would be a limiter please.
View Quote

Solids don't swage into the rifling as easily as lead core so it can lead to pressure increases.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Both sensible answers I would have never though about.

Thank You.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Just looked it up. Extreme Penetrator Bullet Length is .696

For comparison of opposites looking at lead bullets.

45 ACP 200 Grain Round Nose Flat Point Lubed Bullet

Bullet Length 0.54 inches.

That’s a .156 difference in length. I would think the solid copper is at or nearing a compressed charge.
Mystery solved. Also as mentioned, copper being less malleable would be more pressure.

This also answers my questions about why Buffaloe Bore uses Hard Cast on their 1200+ fps.
Simply more room for powder increases velocity and less friction lessens pressure.

Thanks again for pointing out the obvious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top