[#1]
vepr 12
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
vepr 12
View Quote
Definitely the best if you're looking for something fed by detachable mags.

Some have QC concerns (gas ports), but if yours checks out then it's awesome.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
vepr 12

I've never seen a Vepr or Saiga make it through a multi day class. They almost alway break or develop some sort of feeding/extraction problem. I really want to like the Vepr. I love the continuity of fire a mag fed shotgun can bring to a fight but only as long as it functions properly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had an 1100 and currently own an 11-87. Both have been completely reliable. I've done several 250-300 round days shooting casual clays with my sons (passing the one 11-87 back and forth) without a hiccup. Also, the local trap/skeet range has several 1100 rentals that see a lot of use...bluing is worn and stocks are dinged up but they just keep chugging along. I do keep my guns clean and change the O-ring every so often even though they're likely fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the 11-87 reliable?
I had an 1100 and currently own an 11-87. Both have been completely reliable. I've done several 250-300 round days shooting casual clays with my sons (passing the one 11-87 back and forth) without a hiccup. Also, the local trap/skeet range has several 1100 rentals that see a lot of use...bluing is worn and stocks are dinged up but they just keep chugging along. I do keep my guns clean and change the O-ring every so often even though they're likely fine.
@ALASKANFIRE

My experience too.

The 11-87 is pressure regulated (vs. 1100) so it is supposed to run smoother over a wider range of shells.

It has been dead nuts reliable, feeds & shoots both lightest cheapo dove - skeet loads & up to serious 3" heavy high speed duck & buck.

Of course being one of the most popular semi-auto shotguns there is a lot of parts & support.

The O-Ring is the wear part and costs .60 cents at Ace Hardware.  I put a fresh one in once a year as "the tune up".

They are often overlooked and you can find some great values at pawn shops or gun show tables instead of the prices for Benellis & Berettas.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I only have experience with two semi-autos.  1100/11-87's and Auto 5's (the original Auto 5).

My Auto 5 looked really bad when I bought it.  Sort of a rusty brown color.  Checkering on the stock/forend worn almost smooth, very little finish left on the wood.  Got a good deal on a "poor" rated old shot gun.

Got it home.  0000 steel wool and oil and elbow grease revealed only one small area of pitting on the receiver and a lot of the finish was blue after the light rusting was removed.

Inside it was filthy, bad, really nasty.

The magazine spring was broken in two.  Someone had used pliers to twist the two broken ends together and the darn thing still worked.  The action spring guide was the original old piece of factory wood.  Yeah, a wooden spring guide, back there in the stock/receiver.  So dirty/black I thought it was some type of plastic/phenolic till I got the crud off it and saw the grain.  Seemed good once cleaned so I re-used it.  Put all new springs in it and added a magazine tube extension.  Sitting behind the bedroom door right now with 9 rounds of 00 buckshot in it.  Just as smooth as the day it was made back in 1934.  No doubt it's uglier, but it still runs like a champ.

John Browning knew what he was doing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
My VEPR has been 100% with everything I have tried. I replaced the wood stock with a Magpul fixed stock and had a gunsmith chop the barrel to 18.5". I love it now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]
In regards to cycling, my M2 has been outstanding from cheap bird shot to buck to slugs.  What I have had a problem with is when flock-shooting blackbirds with it trying to put up the largest amount of lead into the air in the shortest amount of time, I’ve had problems outrunning the trigger unless I make a conscious effort to slow down my rate of fire.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I only have experience with two semi-autos.  1100/11-87's and Auto 5's (the original Auto 5).

My Auto 5 looked really bad when I bought it.  Sort of a rusty brown color.  Checkering on the stock/forend worn almost smooth, very little finish left on the wood.  Got a good deal on a "poor" rated old shot gun.

Got it home.  0000 steel wool and oil and elbow grease revealed only one small area of pitting on the receiver and a lot of the finish was blue after the light rusting was removed.

Inside it was filthy, bad, really nasty.

The magazine spring was broken in two.  Someone had used pliers to twist the two broken ends together and the darn thing still worked.  The action spring guide was the original old piece of factory wood.  Yeah, a wooden spring guide, back there in the stock/receiver.  So dirty/black I thought it was some type of plastic/phenolic till I got the crud off it and saw the grain.  Seemed good once cleaned so I re-used it.  Put all new springs in it and added a magazine tube extension.  Sitting behind the bedroom door right now with 9 rounds of 00 buckshot in it.  Just as smooth as the day it was made back in 1934.  No doubt it's uglier, but it still runs like a champ.

John Browning knew what he was doing.
View Quote
I am a fan of the Browning Auto 5/Remington Model 11. I got a hold of an old Model 11 and modified it for 3-gun. It required a new barrel and springs, and I put on rifle sights and threaded the barrel for chokes and installed an extended mag. More recently I installed a split lifter from the Auto 5 to speed reloading. It works fine and it is fun to see guys with their nice expensive, new guns choke.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top