Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2022 3:59:33 PM EDT
I hadn't even heard of this rifle before a few weeks ago. Was this a well known weapon?

Here's The Drive's article about it:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44687/ukraines-indigenous-malyuk-bullpup-rifle-is-the-weapon-of-choice-for-its-special-operators
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It is by all reports a pretty standard AK-74 in a bullpup stock. I guess they own stock in Tapco or something.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I dunno.  Years ago, I converted an Egyptian Maddi AKM to bullpup configuration with a K-Var AKU-94 bullpup conversion kit.  Honestly, that thing sucked!  Horrible ergonomics, small trigger guard and the worst trigger I have ever felt.  It turned me off of bullpups for years until I got to handle a real AUG.  I hope they did a better job with their rifle conversions than K-Var did.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Can they work out a deal with arsenal or kalash USA or something to import them after they win is the real question.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I dunno.  Years ago, I converted an Egyptian Maddi AKM to bullpup configuration with a K-Var AKU-94 bullpup conversion kit.  Honestly, that thing sucked!  Horrible ergonomics, small trigger guard and the worst trigger I have ever felt.  It turned me off of bullpups for years until I got to handle a real AUG.  I hope they did a better job with their rifle conversions than K-Var did.  
View Quote
I think the Chinese and Romanians did something like that too.  For commercial sale.

I get the feeling the Malyuk was engineered a bit better if Ukrainian special forces are using it as their preferred go-to.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is by all reports a pretty standard AK-74 in a bullpup stock. I guess they own stock in Tapco or something.
View Quote
You could almost say the same thing about the VHS/Hellion except it's a G36.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would not say that is an accurate comparison.

The Malyuk is literally a stock kit that drops onto an AK.  

The VHS has the lineage of the G36, but in no way, shape, or form is just a kit that drops onto a G36.  Nothing between the two is interchangeable.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

My mistake. I didn't realize the Malyuk was a kit. I thought it was a complete rifle based on the AK.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is an AK that may have a different rear trunnion (or they may just use rear sidefolder trunnions) and the trigger piece altered/replaced to interact with a trigger bar, but beyond that it is pretty much a stock AK underneath the polymer housing.  Conceptually it is similar to the AK bullpup kit K-VAR and Century Arms used to offer, although the execution seems far superior!

No worries, I certainly don't know everything, I just happened to see a cross section somewhere of the Malyuk and having already done work on a possible AK bullpup conversion, I recognized exactly what they did to accomplish everyting.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I'd like to see how they did the drop free mag linkage part.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is an AK that may have a different rear trunnion (or they may just use rear sidefolder trunnions) and the trigger piece altered/replaced to interact with a trigger bar, but beyond that it is pretty much a stock AK underneath the polymer housing.  Conceptually it is similar to the AK bullpup kit K-VAR and Century Arms used to offer, although the execution seems far superior!

No worries, I certainly don't know everything, I just happened to see a cross section somewhere of the Malyuk and having already done work on a possible AK bullpup conversion, I recognized exactly what they did to accomplish everyting.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not say that is an accurate comparison.

The Malyuk is literally a stock kit that drops onto an AK.  

The VHS has the lineage of the G36, but in no way, shape, or form is just a kit that drops onto a G36.  Nothing between the two is interchangeable.

Sven
Manticore Arms

My mistake. I didn't realize the Malyuk was a kit. I thought it was a complete rifle based on the AK.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Manticore malyuk… do it… do it .
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]
At least they moved the charging handle up front. I'd hate to loose my sexy smile.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The Armourer's Bench just did a video on the Vulcan/Malyuk.  I have to say, this is a pretty nifty conversion with a lot of thought and development that went into it.  At it's heart, it's an AK, but it's got a lot of updates to the ergonomics; I especially like what they did with the magazine releases and the safety and fire selector.

Enjoy!

Vulcan / Malyuk: Ukraine's Bullpup
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm probably gonna regret this.....but I bought an extra receiver to try to homebrew a Malyuk inspired rifle. Will be ordering a WBP 5.56 essentials parts kit from AoA when they get more in stock.  I do have a few Beryl mags, but since this won't be a true clone I may skip them in favor of making an AR mag well and using that instead.

Is anymore making an adjustable gas block for AKs that's reasonable?  I do have a spare 45 degree take off that I will otherwise be using.

Don't expect this to be a fast build. I have a bunch of other stuff on my to do list, but with politics being what it is I'm going to start gathering parts now rather than hope I can later.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I like it! Like most Bullpups it's short and cuddly - - -

https://gunsweek.com/en/rifles/articles/ipi-malyuk-bull-pup-assault-rifle-kyivs-defender
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm probably gonna regret this.....but I bought an extra receiver to try to homebrew a Malyuk inspired rifle. Will be ordering a WBP 5.56 essentials parts kit from AoA when they get more in stock.  I do have a few Beryl mags, but since this won't be a true clone I may skip them in favor of making an AR mag well and using that instead.

Is anymore making an adjustable gas block for AKs that's reasonable?  I do have a spare 45 degree take off that I will otherwise be using.

Don't expect this to be a fast build. I have a bunch of other stuff on my to do list, but with politics being what it is I'm going to start gathering parts now rather than hope I can later.
View Quote

...ordered that parts kit.  1 step closer, just need another barrel now and a whole mess of free time to play around with CAD and fabricating up ideas for how to do the trigger and magazine release linkages.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Manticore malyuk… do it… do it .
View Quote

+100!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Not lefty friendly, that’s for sure
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to admit to being intrigued by this.  I’d ask about a torture test, but I’m reasonably certain combat against Russia ualifies…
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Very intriguing rifle indeed!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top