Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2020 3:14:37 PM EDT
I have a new Uberti 1858 target pistol with the following issues purchased from Dixie gun works.

1 At 7 yards it shoots 5 in high. I guess my only option would be to replace front sight with a taller one. I cannot lower the rear sight. Are they sighted in for 25 yards and they all shoot high at 7.  approx 30 gr pyrodex p, 454 ball ammo, cci 10 cap, and rws cp

2 The caps need 2 strikes to fire. I can fire the whole cylinder and will have no ignition , on the second time around I get about 4 out of 6 ignition. Will this be solved with replacement Treso nipples? Which nipple ie they offer 2 models of the 10-24.

3 Warranty issue ie the set screw in the back of the target sight was buggered up ie screw head was damaged. I took off the sight and found the set screw would not  screw past level with the bottom of the sight. IE the sight was not threaded all the way thru so whoever put the gun together over torqued the screw damaged it, trying to get it to go past the bottom of the sight. I will see if Dixie gun works can send me a new sight.

I shoot a ruger old army. This guns when it fired is just as accurate fyi bit I am hoping an uberti expert can help. thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much all the reproductions shoot high.  I think they are supposed to be sighted in for 50 or 75 yards, or something like that.  Looks like the front sight on the adjustable sighted Uberti is not the same one as on standard models - looks like the only option is to maybe have a taller front sight custom made for it.

The cap problem is from the caps not being seated completely on the nipples.  The CCI #10's and the RWS are a bit smaller diameter than the Remington caps or CCI#11's.

You can try to seat the caps a little better by pressing on them with a dowel or something to make sure they are completely seated on the nipples, or try the CCI #11 caps or Remington #10's.

The Treso nipples are sized for #11 caps, not sure if they will work any better than the stock ones if you are using CCI #10's.  

Not sure which size Treso your revolver would need - you might have to measure the cone length of the stock nipples to find out which will work best with yours.  The Possibles Shop has the stock numbers listed by by the different cone lengths.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll add; ditch the pyrodex
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]

after capping, point the weapon downrange, and use a stick, or bic pen and slowly, but firmly push the cap on fully, each of the 6

dump the pydrodex and get some GOEX FFFg

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Another add. They are supposed to shoot high. Originals were sighted at 75 yds, at least the .44s were.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I would test it at different distances to see where it is on target.  

Bill
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

after capping, point the weapon downrange, and use a stick, or bic pen and slowly, but firmly push the cap on fully, each of the 6

dump the pydrodex and get some GOEX FFFg

View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#8]
They all shoot high. Use a 6 o'clock hold on your target.

I prefer Pietta for C&B and Uberti for 1873 Colt cartridge guns.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
As others have said. Shooting high is normal. the 1800's version of a propper zero was very different from ours. The Repro's are Zero'd MUCH further out than a modern handgun will be.. combine that to the basketball like ballistic arc of black powder and roundball/early connicals (relative to todays ammunition) and 5in high at your distance sounds pretty normal.

again. seat your caps firmly, as others have said.

also. if you are properly oiling your weapon. be sure to burn a set of caps on empty cylinders before your first load of the day. it helps blow any residual oil out of the flash holes in the nipples that can cause misfires.

my two newest
Attachment Attached File

my wife wanted the top one i wanted a Sheriff model to go with my full sized remington repro.. now i want another 1860.. cause the trigger is better on it than the remi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top