Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/23/2018 7:42:17 AM EDT
First off - There’s no Uzi forum!??! It’s probably just as iconic as any other carbine/subgun...

So please tell me about the model A&B IMI Uzi’s...

Anything bad or good about them ?
Magazine availability ?

What was the original military barrel length?

Are replacement barrels available ?

Are micro and mini uzi barrels the same and interchangeable ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Uzitalk.com. Is your friend.

Iconic 80 sub gun, semis are build like a tank. Parts are cheap and plentiful, accurate and low recoiling in semi and auto.  Ergonomics could be better, not optic friendly, mags cheap and well made.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First off - There’s no Uzi forum!??! It’s probably just as iconic as any other carbine/subgun...

Magazine availability ?

View Quote
I have a Vector semi SBR.

Good? It's an Uzi and thus cool.
Bad? Ergos are obsolete, and it's heavy (lol grow stronger).
Magazines are easy to find.
Full size barrel length is 10.2, but the Secret Service did 8.5" as well.
Barrels are easy to find too from a number of sources.
No.

RobertRTG.com is where I go for lots of parts.

ETA: When I got mine the top cover was too tight. I did some home gunsmithing and got it back into spec with two pieces of wood and a rubber mallet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Join up on UziTalk like mentioned before, you could spend a week in the library over there and still not read all of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mini Uzi is a little over a pound lighter than the full size A and B models; however, the Mini is more expensive, especially the IMI Mini.

Disclaimer:  I have a Vector Mini Uzi, an Uzi mag AR magwell adapter, and a Glock mag AR magwell adapter; and have no regrets from buying any of them.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Well an elderly gentleman is selling me his Uzi model B. All original. Never shot &6 mags for 1K.

Is that a decent price ? Comes
With a blue Uzi case
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well an elderly gentleman is selling me his Uzi model B. All original. Never shot &6 mags for 1K.

Is that a decent price ? Comes
With a blue Uzi case
View Quote
Yep, I paid $1400 for mine. $1000 is a great price for a real deal IMI factory semi.

The Model B has better sights than the Model A.

Like most PCCs, these are mediocre with a 16 inch barrel. SBRing is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
With the proper paperwork switching to a shorted barrel is easy correct?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unscrew the barrel, take the barrel off.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just unscrewing the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the secret service barrel. 8.5?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's stupid easy. I picked up an Uzi B carbine last fall and had my tax stamp filed by Thanksgiving. My package came with the 16" barrel and serial# matching 10" barrel, which is the barrel that give the typical Uzi-look. It also had an aluminum dummy display barrel that looked the a 10" barrel was mounted.

I realized it needed to be suppressed so I ordered an Omega9k to use on it (still pending).

Now wanting to thread my SN matching 10" barrel, and to not have a can hanging off the end looking weird, I went ahead and ordered a BWE 9" 3-lug barrel which is pretty awesome.

I have the gun with the SBR stamp, the 3-lug barrel, and a Silencerco 3-lug adapter...now my Omega9k stamp just needs to clear!

Pic time! First Uzi w/9" BWE 3-lug barrel

3-lug barrel was boring alone and I ended up finding an AAC 3-lug flash hider for a deal just to look cool when can isn't mounted.

I did shoot my Uzi with the 16" barrel and it seemed to shoot with laser-accuracy, but it looks and handles weird so tax stamp was filed. I used the Silencer Shop Form 1 service with kiosk for prints and it was stupid easy. With the eForm system back you should file your Form 1 ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, my first SBR I think will be my Uzi.  I actually have and like the original wood stock, but it really needs a shorter barrel!  Hopefully while I'm home at Christmas, I'll get the Form 1 submitted...a few others planned, but I'm think the Uzi will be first since I love the original design with wood stock (I have the folder, but the wood stock just feels better).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh, as a note, unlike most other post WW2 SMG designs, the Uzi can take a bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh, as a note, unlike most other post WW2 SMG designs, the Uzi can take a bayonet.
View Quote
Yes it does.

Fast forward to 2:20 for some bayonet action.

MI SMG Championship 2016 Iron Sights
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1oRDoRD2ck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it does.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bayonet stick at the very end of the run?  It would simulate a soldier using the next best available weapon after they're out of ammo; and it would help clean the power residue that has been accumulating during the shooting section of the run off the blade.

In any case, looks like a fun time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes it does.

View Quote
Very cool
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bayonet stick at the very end of the run?
View Quote
The stage description had you start with an empty gun, as if you had already run out of ammo. Start by sticking the sentry and taking his ammo. All reloads had to be picked up on the stage.

For those who didn’t have a bayonet-equipped subgun, there was an empty rifle with a bayo. Stab the sentry and pick up his gun and continue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the explanation.

And as for those who didn’t have a bayonet-equipped subgun; as the cheerleader said in "Night of the Comet", 'Daddy would have got us Uzis.'

ETA:  IIRC, there was a Cobray branded clamp on bayonet for the Ingram pattern subgun firearms, but they are rather scarce.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes it does.

View Quote
So rad. Makes my semi-auto jealous.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Magazine availability ?

View Quote
I had an UZI Model B with the three piece bolt in the late 80s, 16 inch barrel. I hate to say it - it was the worst jammamatic I ever owned. It would not get through a single magazine without jamming. I sold it for a tidy profit during the ban years, and never ever missed it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Century UZI for $700 and it is pretty cool to shoot.  I got four mags with it and it will fail to properly eject one or two times per mag.  Accuracy is really good with my 16 inch barrel, but I wish I could figure out the failure to eject issue.  The empty case will get stuck in the bolt backwards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#22]
RE jamming/ejection issues with Uzis both full and semi auto:  Uzis prefer ammo that is on the more powerful side.  Full autos have a heavy bolt and semis have a heavy recoil spring.
Milder ammo such as the UMC green box 9 mm is notorious for not running well in Uzis.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a model B IMI uzi. Got an extra top plate and added a short rail and a red dot sight. Also a vertical foregrip and a barrel shroud. I reload and its likes all kinds of ammo, I usually used 115gr copper platted boolets. Shoots like a dream and is very accurate. Its not a light rifle, all steel and built like a tank and will last forever. Lots of cheap surplus mags out there too. Here is a pic without the red dot sight. The shroud is nice because is protects the barrel and the barrel can get pretty hot when dumping 30rd mags.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, if your uzi is having issues most of the time it is either weak ammo or bolt gap.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#25]
" />

they are a good time.
with 147gr sub sonic loads they are almost hollywood quiet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know if it’s possible to put the factory b model adjustable sights on the atlantic arms(McKay receiver) version?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
RE jamming/ejection issues with Uzis both full and semi auto:  Uzis prefer ammo that is on the more powerful side.  Full autos have a heavy bolt and semis have a heavy recoil spring.
Milder ammo such as the UMC green box 9 mm is notorious for not running well in Uzis.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote
True about the full-size Uzi's.

But one of the most fun guns is the Uzi Pro pistol with a brace.  Very compact, and shoots cheap Walmart Winchester White Box all day long.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone know if it’s possible to put the factory b model adjustable sights on the atlantic arms(McKay receiver) version?
View Quote
I am also interested in doing this. Tagging for an answer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
The threaded hole in the front sight base is a different diameter/thread (larger dia) than the "B" front post.....the base also lacks the recess for the detent.

The rear sight thru pin is also a different diameter on the "B" (larger), and the (R) side sight wing/protector lacks the recess for the leaf spring that acts as a detent for the windage adjusting nut......

Anything is possible.....but it would require welding, machining, taps in mystery threads, and refinishing...

IMHO, there would be very little gain over the SMG / Model "A" sights
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The threaded hole in the front sight base is a different diameter/thread (larger dia) than the "B" front post.....the base also lacks the recess for the detent.

The rear sight thru pin is also a different diameter on the "B" (larger), and the (R) side sight wing/protector lacks the recess for the leaf spring that acts as a detent for the windage adjusting nut......

Anything is possible.....but it would require welding, machining, taps in mystery threads, and refinishing...

IMHO, there would be very little gain over the SMG / Model "A" sights
View Quote
Well my plan was to replace the peephole sights with the Uzi pro sights. I use my weak eyes when shooting rifles so I’m bigger on three dot and AK style sights then I am peephole sights. Left handed right eye dominant. Easy to bring sights up under a target than to have to search through a peephole. I guess I need to find s vector Uzi on a Israeli kit. Really don’t feel like paying $1800 just because it says action arms.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
The Uzi to get is the Mini, and then SBR it.

The full size is too big and heavy and poorly balanced.  I had one, then sold it when I found a Mini.

It has the same classic lines, but is a reasonable size and weight.  I SBR'ed it, had the barrel threaded, and put the rail handguard on it, so I can use a CT green laser, and a forward grip on it.

Fantastic for close encounters.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Uzi to get is the Mini, and then SBR it.

The full size is too big and heavy and poorly balanced.  I had one, then sold it when I found a Mini.

It has the same classic lines, but is a reasonable size and weight.  I SBR'ed it, had the barrel threaded, and put the rail handguard on it, so I can use a CT green laser, and a forward grip on it.

Fantastic for close encounters.
View Quote
I love my full size and will never get rid of it, but, yeah, if you can find a mini get a mini.

I have a full size and want a mini to go with it. If I had a mini, I'd probably never get the full size.

Mini's are hard to come by though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/brian45auto/miniA_zpsd9815549.jpg" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/brian45auto/miniA_zpsd9815549.jpg

they are a good time.
View Quote
Always wanted a Mini Uzi, and with that wire stock as a tail hook it would be fun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/brian45auto/miniA_zpsd9815549.jpg" target="_blank">http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/brian45auto/miniA_zpsd9815549.jpg

they are a good time.
View Quote
Always wanted a Mini Uzi, and with that wire stock as a tail hook it would be fun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Minis are excellent and the weight is on par with the mp5k.  Mine have been flawless and are great suppressor hosts. I ended up with a rmr mount on the top over and it has held zero fine and makes shooting it accurately easy.  I do love me some uzis!  I just wish I would have picked up a vector FA when they could be had at $2500.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#36]
IMI Model B is great and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I sould probably get one of those railed top covers and a small red dot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I just screwed myself. I bought a parts kit, 80% receiver, and a McKay semi auto bolt assembly.

It will be registered as a/an SBR. 16.5" bbl as of now.

How difficult is this build? I have hand rolled and built G3 semi auto clones.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Way easier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Who makes the red dot mount?

Quoted:
Minis are excellent and the weight is on par with the mp5k.  Mine have been flawless and are great suppressor hosts. I ended up with a rmr mount on the top over and it has held zero fine and makes shooting it accurately easy.  I do love me some uzis!  I just wish I would have picked up a vector FA when they could be had at $2500.
http://i67.tinypic.com/14b6u7t.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who makes the red dot mount?
View Quote
It’s been a few years but I’m pretty sure it was BWE.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Way easier.
View Quote
Bunk, if you were responding to my post, thank you.

My parts kit was not what I expected. Mostly useful. The other half is junk.

I have been doing research on this build and it is a bit easier than a semi auto G3 clone.

This is getting expensive. Engraving and tax stamp not included.

edit: I am new to this.

Are the handguards and screws typically sawn through? The right hand guard has a saw cut 1/2 way though it. I have only one good screw.

The rear receiver section has a saw cut through the serial number.  It looks errant. I was hoping to weld this section on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Bunk, if you were responding to my post, thank you.

My parts kit was not what I expected. Mostly useful. The other half is junk.

Are the handguards and screws typically sawn through? The right hand guard has a saw cut 1/2 way though it. I have only one good screw.
View Quote
TheYellowThing, I was.
The handguards and screws were nearly perfect on mine.
I bought my kit from RTI about 2 years ago. I think it was a mid grade kit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#45]
@Bunk

I did a bunch of cutting today. All of the weldments can be re-used on the 80% repair section.

I am not that great of a welder to salvage the serial number area on the parts kit back area of the receiver. I really wanted to use that. A good TIG welder could possibly make it work. I am too shaky.

A team member here has offered me a set of new hand guards.

I am taking my time with this build. This is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#46]
So, I figured I’d jump in.  Used to own a full size, two mini’s, and a Micro, all full auto.  I ended up getting out of the FA game but really enjoyed the UZI platform so I picked up a Vector Mini a couple years ago.  Form 1 SBR registered it and slapped a three lug barrel in it.  I really enjoy it.  Different kind of fun than my MP5’s, but still very cool.

My wife got me a sweet UZI SWAT case for it for Christmas so here’s some pics:

Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So, I figured I’d jump in.  Used to own a full size, two mini’s, and a Micro, all full auto.  I ended up getting out of the FA game but really enjoyed the UZI platform so I picked up a Vector Mini a couple years ago.  Form 1 SBR registered it and slapped a three lug barrel in it.  I really enjoy it.  Different kind of fun than my MP5’s, but still very cool.

My wife got me a sweet UZI SWAT case for it for Christmas so here’s some pics:

https://i.imgur.com/3U4sa2o.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tboMrbW.jpg
View Quote
This is exactly what I'm looking for!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Vector semiauto Uzi's were $500 prior to 2006, then jumped to $690. Now they are around $1175 when I see them. They are a worthwhile piece in any collection. Accuracy is really very good at 50 yds with the 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#49]
McKay Enterprises has fully welded semi auto Uzi receivers back in stock. Must ship to FFL.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Looking at the other sites, nobody seems to answer how close the Duracoat Uzi Green matches the earlier Israeli parts kits' finishes.

I plan to parkerize then paint. I like the greenish hue on the parts kit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top