Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2018 3:08:28 PM EDT
Just saw that a LGS has one of these listed, never heard of them before. I'm assuming they're similar to the Century builds? Then-new receiver and GI parts?  What I'm wondering is, are the receivers any good at all? A friend of mine has had me looking for an M1 receiver he can use for a custom project. If these are any good, he can buy it for his project and no "real" M1 is modified.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Sand cast receiver. Much like a Santa Fe Ordnance 1903. Very dangerous.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sand cast receiver. Much like a Santa Fe Ordnance 1903. Very dangerous.
View Quote
Thanks-didn't see anything about them in a quick search, figured someone was bound to know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:  Sand cast receiver. Much like a Santa Fe Ordnance 1903. Very dangerous.
View Quote
All of Springfield Armory's M1A receivers are cast.  What's so dangerous about this cast receiver?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

All of Springfield Armory's M1A receivers are cast.  What's so dangerous about this cast receiver?
View Quote
Doesn't matter. I looked at it out of curiosity. They want $899 for it, and the only desirable part is the lockbar rear sight.

ETA-as for cast, it has to do with HOW it's cast. Do a lousy job and it's unsafe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Doesn't matter. I looked at it out of curiosity. They want $899 for it, and the only desirable part is the lockbar rear sight.

ETA-as for cast, it has to do with HOW it's cast. Do a lousy job and it's unsafe.
View Quote
I would be rather more concerned as to what it's cast of.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would be rather more concerned as to what it's cast of.
View Quote
There's that too, I just figured poor quality metal fell under the lousy job part of it.  Cosmetically, it looked closer to correct than a Century, with a rougher surface, and the heel stamp looked like what you see on the James River BM59s-manufacturer info stamped like a GI rifle and SN looked engraved.

Also, I had it wrong, it was national Ordnance, not US Ordnance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The Nat Ord receivers don't have a great reputation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top