Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2021 8:41:31 PM EDT
Has anybody seen or used one of these? Seems like they dropped recently and I cannot find any info other than what is on us night visions website.

I'm looking for a compact light weight IR laser to run on some LVPO mini-recce style rifles. I like all my rifles to have at least a passive aiming option via either the red dot or a 1.93 offset RMR in the arisaka mount for my LVPO guns. I would like an IR laser option as well no need for an illuminator for the setup based on my intended use and enviromentals. I'm already rocking a MAWL on an LVPO gun and one with a Unity Comp M5 setup....not every gun in the safe needs a MAWL but I like options. Not every gun NEEDs and IR laser.....but again I like options. The main gun I'm looking at this for is a 14.5 with a Gen iii Vortex and offset RMR.

I purchased and am testing a couple TOR Mini IIs from TNVC right now. They laser is more than adequate but there are some things I don't care for. No indicator if the laser is on and no lock out/off switch. It has an autoshutoff after 5 mins which is well and good and I wouldn't have a problem necessarily if the button was a lil more solid/protected.  It's not a positive clicky type activation. It's mushy and if you're not on NODS there is just no way to tell if you pushed it accidentally or if some gear pushed it or it got activated in a bag etc....  The battery cap cannot be backed off easily to lock it out either. It's in contact and functional basically as soon as the cap is in the threads. I do like it's incredibly small and light and low to the bore. It's good but it could be great if Steiner made some small improvements.

OTAL C is an option but I like the look of the switch layout on this DesignatIR and the slaved green laser is a plus.  OTAL is also 3 ounces lighter and 250-300 bucks cheaper.

Standing by for thoughts and info if there is any out there. I called U.S. Night Vision....the guy I got didn't seem to know much.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Also curious is someone has used one. I happened across it on the web the other day
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing this on facebook a while back. The company who makes this is Lumen Defense.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember seeing this on facebook a while back. The company who makes this is Lumen Defense.
View Quote

Thanks. Checked that out. 1 video and a couple pictures. Still not much. Looks like their website is down. Unit does look very low profile which I like. I'm guessing it's so new there won't be much out on it or folks with them.

EDIT: Here is their reply to me on FB.....

"Yes we have it down and are busy stocking our distributor for the next month. Price is 795 and the listing on the US Night Vision sight should have all the information. In a nutshell it’s extremely compact and low profile. The lasers are set to the max allowed by the FDA and it features a 6 hour run time. Ip67 waterproof rated and two year warranty"
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Wish there was an IR laser/IR illuminator version.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not CQBL-1?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
In fairness to my statements above. I did some more testing with the TOR mini tonight. at 1.6 oz I want desperately to love it.  Upon further investigation there is a very subtle raised portion around the actual activation button. If you press on it with the palm of your hand it's difficult to activate. Something flat like a book....yup tried it for giggles...you cannot activate it. I did a bunch of dry practice around the house. Threw it down on things, smacked it against my leg repeatedly to simulate running or moving with it slung, did transitions with it slung, put it in a back pack and tossed it around and put things on top of it. Pulled it in and out of the bag as if deploying the weapon from the bag etc.....  I am happy to report it did not activate. My EDC bag has a bunch of stuff in the outer pockets that I thought with weight on it might activate it. So far it did not. Not impossible but I think with more time I will trust it more. May suit my purposes after all. Still wish it had a lockout feature though. Certainly cool for 270 bucks.

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why not CQBL-1?
View Quote

I looked at it. Don't really care for the red laser or ergos and height of the unit for a 12 o'clock mounted unit which is what I'm after. Don't like the price point much either. Now at 795 this DesinatIR isn't much cheaper but is much sleeker and I like the location/design of the activation button as well as the ability to take standard crane laser remote switch type attachments. If you look at the photo on the FB page mentioned above the top of the unit sits about flush with a magpul buis when folded down.

https://www.facebook.com/lumendefense/photos/a.2187045031569868/2743328945941471/
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not CQBL-1?
View Quote

It's tall. Steiners have been having issues with remote switch ports lately. The DesignatIR is super low profile and you can pair it with a scout light for those who want vis laser/flashlight activation at same time.

I think if they hadn't partnered with USNV, it would sell rapidly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I looked at it. Don't really care for the red laser or ergos and height of the unit for a 12 o'clock mounted unit which is what I'm after. Don't like the price point much either. Now at 795 this DesinatIR isn't much cheaper but is much sleeker and I like the location/design of the activation button as well as the ability to take standard crane laser remote switch type attachments. If you look at the photo on the FB page mentioned above the top of the unit sits about flush with a magpul buis when folded down.

https://www.facebook.com/lumendefense/photos/a.2187045031569868/2743328945941471/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not CQBL-1?

Fair enough
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's tall. Steiners have been having issues with remote switch ports lately. The DesignatIR is super low profile and you can pair it with a scout light for those who want vis laser/flashlight activation at same time.

I think if they hadn't partnered with USNV, it would sell rapidly.
View Quote

This. I remember when the original guys designing it dropped it. There was a fair amount of hype behind it. After the wraps debacle it seems most people don’t want to touch USNV with a 20 foot pole. I wouldn’t buy one after seeing their CS on the unit I had from them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reached out to the company and been chatting with the dude who runs it. I will just say in my opinion very exciting things coming and he wouldn't let me nail him down to the exact timeline but soon and with an illuminator on the order of MAWL-ness if what he says is true using VCSEL technology.....if you don't know google it. But if you are lazy this is from the B.E. Meyers MAWL description....."Designed to address the shortcomings of common laser devices in use with both military and law enforcement, the MAWL incorporates cutting edge VCSEL technology which eliminates the current problem of inconsistent and granular, speckled illumination. "

The prototype I saw a picture of or at least the aluminum housing looked very very awesome. Really cool dude to talk to and I'm very excited and hopeful for what is coming.

I'm also probably going to buy one of the current versions to pair with a surefire M340V which I just got to play with. I am very pleasantly surprised with the level of IR illum that thing puts out in a tiny package and the built in mounting solution is genius and light.  Way better than what I was expecting. I'm waiting until a week or so from now after chatting with the dude hopeful to have a particular switch he has first. If it all comes together I will report back.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagging for interest
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Tagging. The IlluminatIR would replace my DBAL. I'd love to see pics if you've got any, or if any are open source.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Reached out to the company and been chatting with the dude who runs it. I will just say in my opinion very exciting things coming and he wouldn't let me nail him down to the exact timeline but soon and with an illuminator on the order of MAWL-ness if what he says is true using VCSEL technology.....if you don't know google it. But if you are lazy this is from the B.E. Meyers MAWL description....."Designed to address the shortcomings of common laser devices in use with both military and law enforcement, the MAWL incorporates cutting edge VCSEL technology which eliminates the current problem of inconsistent and granular, speckled illumination. "

The prototype I saw a picture of or at least the aluminum housing looked very very awesome. Really cool dude to talk to and I'm very excited and hopeful for what is coming.

I'm also probably going to buy one of the current versions to pair with a surefire M340V which I just got to play with. I am very pleasantly surprised with the level of IR illum that thing puts out in a tiny package and the built in mounting solution is genius and light.  Way better than what I was expecting. I'm waiting until a week or so from now after chatting with the dude hopeful to have a particular switch he has first. If it all comes together I will report back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He made a comment to me back in December to hold off buying anything as something along these lines was in the works and coming out soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Are they still gonna be partnered with US NV?
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tagging. The IlluminatIR would replace my DBAL. I'd love to see pics if you've got any, or if any are open source.
View Quote

An IR/IR version would be interesting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I went and looked. Its not really getting my motor going in current form.  Its very much offset from the bore (more so than the OTAL). The integrated push button is neat and I like the location but many use a switch so the button just adds cost and takes up real estate.

Also of note: I dont see a single exterior screw or adjustment location on the housing. Hopefully you dont have to stick an Allen key down the emitter port or through the battery slot.

If they're an unknown and charging $800 for this then anything comparable to a MAWL will likely be similarly priced. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
It’s a solution looking for a problem.

It’s also sold by USNV so be default I would never buy it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I have invited pertinent people to this thread.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Not gonna lie, I like it
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It’s a solution looking for a problem.

It’s also sold by USNV so be default I would never buy it.
View Quote

@tlandoe07

I'm fairly new to this market, what is everyone's issue with USNV. Honest question, as I'm curious.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@tlandoe07

I'm fairly new to this market, what is everyone's issue with USNV. Honest question, as I'm curious.
View Quote

The owner is a total prick. Tried to strong arm nocorium into selling them their gear skins and when they declined (respectfully and graciously honestly) USNV threatened to try to run them out of business basically. Big shit storm on social media. No reason to give assholes your money on the night vision market, especially when the tubes, housing and glass generally all come from the same sources.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The owner is a total prick. Tried to strong arm nocorium into selling them their gear skins and when they declined (respectfully and graciously honestly) USNV threatened to try to run them out of business basically. Big shit storm on social media. No reason to give assholes your money on the night vision market, especially when the tubes, housing and glass generally all come from the same sources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@tlandoe07

Yep. That was a douche move.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep, when Nocorium said "no thanks, maybe later" the owner of USNV said he has the capability to knock off the nocorium product in house and run nocorium out of business. Saying he made a big mistake and "created a monster"

Real weird stronghanded stuff. Wonder what happens when a girl turns him down for a date
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, in John's defense, it was my understanding that he had suffered from a stroke prior to whole nocorium melt down.  Given what I know of post stroke mood disorders, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  In my conversations with him he was one of the nicest most genuine guys I've dealt with.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, in John's defense, it was my understanding that he had suffered from a stroke prior to whole nocorium melt down.  Given what I know of post stroke mood disorders, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  In my conversations with him he was one of the nicest most genuine guys I've dealt with.
View Quote

Well thats good to hear. Hope he is recovering well. I really do like the layout and idea of this product.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

That does add another layer to the mix, for sure. Does anyone know if they have done things prior, similar, or if this is out of character?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's wild. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Any update on this potential IR/IR unit?

@fitzghan
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know about a 1-whatever optic, but a 2.5x- or 3x- variable in a 1.5" mount will usually see over a CQBL fine, if you're stuck with one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I too think it's an interesting design. Would love to see how they'd incorporate an IR illuminator, and how it might inflate the price. If it's much more than a Perst or a D2, I won't be that interested. So looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#32]
These things are interesting. The focusable beam has me wondering how tight a hotspot is possible. The few videos I’ve watched concerning laser Illuminators show a very “solid” looking hotspot. That full power lasers are not readily available to us here Stateside and the civi versions being a bit anemic, could these be used to fill in as a pseudo-aiming device up to say maybe 200 yards?

Wouldn’t mind if it that were possible.

ETA: Then Maybe I’d be able to use that Malkoff EX IR 700 head again instead of having to go to a weaker 250 head. Honestly, civi lasers aren’t that impressive. Especially when considering the money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Any update on this potential IR/IR unit?

@fitzghan
View Quote

Looks like the lumen defense website is up. Units available through them instead of going through US Night Vision which seems to be a plus based on folks comments on here about them. I'm digging the setup with the switch for the light. Have not picked one up yet myself.  Waiting to see the final product with the illuminator incorporated. Last message I sent to check in was a week or so ago and he said VCSEL models are probably about a month out.

https://www.lumendefense.com/products/remote-switch-tan.htm
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Looks like the lumen defense website is up. Units available through them instead of going through US Night Vision which seems to be a plus based on folks comments on here about them. I'm digging the setup with the switch for the light. Have not picked one up yet myself.  Waiting to see the final product with the illuminator incorporated. Last message I sent to check in was a week or so ago and he said VCSEL models are probably about a month out.

https://www.lumendefense.com/products/remote-switch-tan.htm
View Quote

Thanks for the update, looking forward to seeing what they release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top