Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2018 3:35:47 PM EDT
Swap meet at the Gun Club this afternoon; I saw this Arisaka, the gentleman selling it was asking what I felt like was a pretty reasonable price for a rifle with an intact Mum.

How'd I do?

Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
An intact mum is a BIG +++   How much did you pay for it will determine how good you did.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
also curious as to what you paid.  nice looking rifle.  I have one with dust cover but looks like a bayonet was used to put an x in the mum.  I got mine for free from a friend who found it in a crawlspace 20 some odd years ago.  he overheard me mention guns one day and remembered it was there.  he went and got it out, I started talking about it and telling him what is was ect.  He said you want it, seems to interest you more than me.  that was a lucky day, only gun I've ever been given.  nice poking rifle op.  now go out and shoot it.  6.5 is fun.  I reload it as it is expensive to buy from the factory.  couple boxes factory ammo to get the brass and get the dies and you're gtg.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
$300; I thought that was a heck of a deal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$300; I thought that was a heck of a deal.
View Quote
you did well!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
nice score, and price.  enjoy it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, OP a few questions.  How is the bore?  Also, if you want to check to see if numbers match, they will not match the serial# they are matched to the 3 digit assembly number stamped under the receiver.  It is also possible for it to have more than one assembly number, this would indicate a rebuild.  Take a bunch of pics of the numbers and markings under the wood as well.

Also OP, can I have the serial#?  I can get you a date of manufacture.

Very nice find though
View Quote
Bore is dark, but the rifling is sharp. I haven't tried to clean it yet to see if it will brighten up. (I'm not even sure I have a 6.5mm brush...)

It appears to be a mixmaster. The last 3 of the SN is stamped on the bayonet lug and the trigger guard. The numbers on the receiver and the bolt do not match. I'm just now reading the take pics... I didn't and it's back together.

It's a Nagoya, what appears to be a series 26.

I sent you the SN via IM.

I ordered McCollums book off Amazon...
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If you go to Gunbroker the Type 38 and 99 with intact Mum are bringing some high money right now. It is harder to find a gun with a Mum than one without the Mum. I have been watching them and so far I have not bid on any. I want a Type 38 and 99 to add to my collection.

Yours also looks like one that hasn't been messed with. Does it have the cleaning rod? Does it have the metal butt plate? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Great score and congrats on the rifle! Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you go to Gunbroker the Type 38 and 99 with intact Mum are bringing some high money right now. It is harder to find a gun with a Mum than one without the Mum. I have been watching them and so far I have not bid on any. I want a Type 38 and 99 to add to my collection.

Yours also looks like one that hasn't been messed with. Does it have the cleaning rod? Does it have the metal butt plate? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

View Quote
Almost every one I've seen has been molested in some way; usually badly(or priced higher than I'm willing to pay). This was the better of the two that the gentleman selling them had. The other one didn't have the Mum and was generally in worse condition.

It does have both the cleaning rod and the metal buttplate. It's a prewar built gun. jnk556 is chasing down just when for me, but the SN block it's in would say 33-40. The only major thing this is missing is the dust cover.

I may swing back by tomorrow and look around again. There was a Vetterli that caught my eye as well, but it looked to have been mildly sporterized. But it's a swap meet, there may be someone there tomorrow that wasn't there today.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Almost every one I've seen has been molested in some way; usually badly(or priced higher than I'm willing to pay). This was the better of the two that the gentleman selling them had. The other one didn't have the Mum and was generally in worse condition.

It does have both the cleaning rod and the metal buttplate. It's a prewar built gun. jnk556 is chasing down just when for me, but the SN block it's in would say 33-40. The only major thing this is missing is the dust cover.

I may swing back by tomorrow and look around again. There was a Vetterli that caught my eye as well, but it looked to have been mildly sporterized. But it's a swap meet, there may be someone there tomorrow that wasn't there today.
View Quote
That is awesome! The dust cover keep looking at ebay and Gunbroker. They do show up from time to time. I keep hearing that soldiers ditched them in the field. You got a great looking rifle. Keep us posted on what you find tomorrow. My itch to get a Type 38 and 99 needs to be scratched soon. I just bought an M1 Garand and now I'm looking for a carbine. I may have to get a Type 38 and 99 before that. If I see a dustcover in my search I will send a link to you. I wonder if your rifle was a bring back? Any import marks?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Talk to any hard core Jap collector, and 9 out of 10 times they would rather have a matching scrubbed mum gun as opposed to a mummed, but mis-matched gun...

I like mums myself....

But OP you did great on that!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, OP a few questions.  How is the bore?  Also, if you want to check to see if numbers match, they will not match the serial# they are matched to the 3 digit assembly number stamped under the receiver.  It is also possible for it to have more than one assembly number, this would indicate a rebuild.  Take a bunch of pics of the numbers and markings under the wood as well.

Also OP, can I have the serial#?  I can get you a date of manufacture.

Very nice find though
View Quote
I’m trying to figure out what you mean by “under the receiver” for matched serial numbers.  Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:33:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’m trying to figure out what you mean by “under the receiver” for matched serial numbers.  Can you elaborate?
View Quote
Most (I am not 100% sure on ALL) Type 38 and some early Type 99's were matched up by what they call "assembly numbers".

There was a 3 digit number stamped on the receiver on the underside (can only be seen if barreled receiver is removed from the stock) which the other numbered components were them stamped with to keep everything together during assembly. The final serial number stamped on the gun did not relate to the assembly number.

So guys who don't know (sellers and buyers) may not realize their mismatched gun may actually be matching....of course if a seller does not know this, he may very well price the gun as a mismatch. But again, you can't tell until you pull the stock off...
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most (I am not 100% sure on ALL) Type 38 and some early Type 99's were matched up by what they call "assembly numbers".

There was a 3 digit number stamped on the receiver on the underside (can only be seen if barreled receiver is removed from the stock) which the other numbered components were them stamped with to keep everything together during assembly. The final serial number stamped on the gun did not relate to the assembly number.

So guys who don't know (sellers and buyers) may not realize their mismatched gun may actually be matching....of course if a seller does not know this, he may very well price the gun as a mismatch. But again, you can't tell until you pull the stock off...
View Quote
Thanks, that cleared it up.  Good info
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is awesome! The dust cover keep looking at ebay and Gunbroker. They do show up from time to time. I keep hearing that soldiers ditched them in the field. You got a great looking rifle. Keep us posted on what you find tomorrow. My itch to get a Type 38 and 99 needs to be scratched soon. I just bought an M1 Garand and now I'm looking for a carbine. I may have to get a Type 38 and 99 before that. If I see a dustcover in my search I will send a link to you. I wonder if your rifle was a bring back? Any import marks?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a Dustcover. The fact that it's a mixmaster makes me feel better about putting a non-correct dustcover on it.

No import marks that I can see, and I don't remember anything under the stock, either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Talk to any hard core Jap collector, and 9 out of 10 times they would rather have a matching scrubbed mum gun as opposed to a mummed, but mis-matched gun...

I like mums myself....

But OP you did great on that!
View Quote
Yeah, in general I'd prefer a matching gun, if I see one of almost anything I'll usually jump on it. I grabbed an all-matching (and very good condition) 1891 Argie Mauser a few months ago, and the Argentine crest is scrubbed on that (as they are on most of them), and the matching numbers (and the $199 price...) really sold that gun to me.

But with the mum... any gun that has one that's a good price I'd probably have jumped on, just to have one with it. I'm not a collector of any one specific thing, but I like having kinda typical examples of a lot of stuff. I feel like your collection can tell a story of world history like that, which is probably the best way of describing my collecting goals.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm pretty sure this is rearselaned at some point, because the last 3 of my SN is stamped on the Bayonet lug and the trigger guard. That would be too random for me not to think it was intentional. But the 3-digit number under the barrel doesn't match anything else on the gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
May 1938 is your approx date of manufacture.
View Quote
Nice! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice rifle OP, I've got a similar one with the Mum still intact.  Missing the upper handguard IIRC.  Uncle give it to me long ago and its still down at my mothers house which is half way around the world it seems.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top