Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2018 2:54:00 PM EDT
A trip to the scrap yard this morning turned out better than I hoped. Long story short, I walked away with a Type 30 Arisaka barreled action, with trigger, for a dollar. No chrysanthemum, but life goes on.

I've spent the morning cleaning up the rust. Most of the blueing is intact, she looked FAR more rough than she was. Bolt racks, trigger works, bore looks pristine.

I've been googling around for... Well... The rest of the damn gun, I guess.

Anyone have a lead on a stock assembly? Or even just a bare stock. I think I get find the rest of the parts, just not the wood.

Alternatively, how does the action compare to later type Arisaka models? Would it possibly fit into another Arisaka stock with little or no modifications?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice score!   Congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice score!   Congratulations!
View Quote
Thanks! I'm pretty stoked, just hoping it doesn't turn into a money pit. If that's the case, the goal of factory configuration may go out the window.

At this point, I may even settle for a sporterized stock.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Need pics of junkyard gun
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Need pics of junkyard gun
View Quote
Wish I took some before shots. But it was just like this, but Rusty and dirty.

Let's see if this works...
Edit: embedding did NOT work. Let's try hotlinking...

https://m.imgur.com/CAREJUV
https://m.imgur.com/PKR4amL
https://m.imgur.com/khTBndl
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is something wrong with your last image.
View Quote
Thanks, man. I think I fixed the link.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, that was a great score....but good luck finding parts, hook safety stuff is nigh impossible to find, and unless you luck into, prices will be incredibly high...

A classic "white elephant", but how can you go wrong?

A very hard to find rifle complete...
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, that was a great score....but good luck finding parts, hook safety stuff is nigh impossible to find, and unless you luck into, prices will be incredibly high...

A classic "white elephant", but how can you go wrong?

A very hard to find rifle complete...
View Quote
You ain't lyin'.

Thankfully I live near Sarco. I'm gonna stop in and see if they have anything close enough to modify.

She might be a single shot bolt action Frankenstein, but she's GONNA shoot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid $20 for a bbl action @ a show, but it was $20 b/c someone tried to cut off the bbl in front of the chamber.  Like OP, will need all the other bits; figger I'll build a stock out of Legos.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Update: the Type 30 might fit a Rem 700 long action stock with only minor modifications. Purists might try to burn me at the stake, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Will update when I perform further comparison.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The dollar Arisaka saga continues.

Spent a little more than I wanted, but project is underway. A Chilean Mauser stock, a Type 99 Arisaka trigger guard assembly and magazine, and a Springfield 1903 mag spring and follower.

Modding parts now to fit, but so far so good.

Parts-bin Frankenstein special.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The dollar Arisaka saga continues.

Spent a little more than I wanted, but project is underway. A Chilean Mauser stock, a Type 99 Arisaka trigger guard assembly and magazine, and a Springfield 1903 mag spring and follower.

Modding parts now to fit, but so far so good.

Parts-bin Frankenstein special.
View Quote
@HellSpork, Any updates?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Aren't some Type 30s legally antique?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Any updates ?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry guys, no updates yet. The holidays don't offer enough free time to work on guns. Gosh darn "family time" and all. Hah.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Could you cannibalize a T30 trainer for the stock and furniture?  I see liberty tree has a couple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top