Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 7:27:56 PM EDT
Good evening, all.

I'm sure this has been discussed at length, and I apologize for starting what is likely the nth thread of the subject.  I am preparing to submit a Form 1 for a 12" 6.5 Grendel.  I'd like to also purchase a 9" 300 BO upper to be used on the same lower as the 6.5.  Since I will be 3" shorter with the 300, do I need to do a second Form 1, or can the same tax stamp cover both calibers/lengths?

Thanks much in advance, and have a great night.

Aaron
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a lawyer, not legal advice, take this for what it is worth;

Everything I have read is one legal SBR lower covers multiple uppers.

As long as there is a legal path to assemble your gun into a legal configuration, this seems to be the key.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The lower is what is registered. Once you have the stamp you can swap uppers.
https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/national-firearms-act-nfa
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Once a lower has been registered (has its ONE tax stamp), you can put ANY upper you want to on it.

The configuration submitted on the Form 1 can be thought of as your "original configuration" for that lower.  "Making" a firearm requires that details like caliber, barrel length and overall length be stuck in the NFA database.  Changing uppers is not "making", it's just swapping parts.

There's an old joke whose punchline goes "with what you have, you can have as many of those as you want."  It really does work that way with SBR'd ARs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To be clear...

That would be any rifle upper.
View Quote
As opposed to what other kind of upper?  So called “pistol” uppers are simply AR uppers with a barrel shorter than 16”, meaning they aren’t
legal to use on a non-SBR.  If you have a registered SBR lower, you can use any barrel length AR upper on it, regardless of what it’s called.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Big Waylon  is absolutely correct. The other caution is that non-AR firearms don't always have the lower as the registered portion of the firearm (e.g. HK type guns). From the OP's description it looks like he is talking about registering an AR type lower.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No...as opposed to a short shotgun upper or DD/launcher upper.
View Quote
Any non DD upper, though a "pistol" upper would be legal as well.  Any upper that doesn't itself need its own stamp.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think a <18" shotgun upper falls into your description (it's non-DD, not a pistol upper, and doesn't require its own stamp)? But it certainly couldn't go onto a lower registered as an SBR.
View Quote
Ya got me there.  My blanket statement has fallen on its face.

With an SBR registered AR lower receiver, you may use an upper with a rifled barrel regardless of barrel length.  DD uppers, integrally suppressed uppers, etc. are special cases requiring their own stamps or not meeting the definition of "rifle" for purposes of a short barrel rifle.

Man, it's those details that can trip you up.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top