Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2018 12:34:29 AM EDT
Stamps in hand, for those that wonder*

As we likely know, coming by tubes has become much harder. Who still actually produces them?

Also, I’m building two .30 cal cans, and want the hives opinion. Primary uses are going to be for hunting and carbine classes .... and here’s the kicker: the everyday carbine is a 16” .308.

Is readily available titanium suitable for a tube that will see a lot of quick .308? Or do I need to have someone just do a couple SS tubes? Blast chamber, and all baffles will be stainless regardless.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 2:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Ti can take quite a bit of abuse.  It's wise to keep them under ~900°F, but they'll hold together above that.

My Valkyrie series, a 1.5" x 8" can, uses .070" wall gr. 9 tube, turned down to .050" between the threads.   I've hammered that thing with mag after mag after mag of full auto fire on my 13" .308 AR post sample to the point that it deformed the 17-4 blast baffle pretty badly, and the tube is still fine.  I'm actually still running the same prototype, same tube that I had a catastrophic baffle strike with from a failed muzzle brake that sent I don't even know how many rounds through the core.  I couldn't unscrew the core with the damage to the stack, so I cut the tube off behind the threads, removed the core, rethreaded, recored it and I'm still doing destructive testing with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stamps in hand, for those that wonder*

As we likely know, coming by tubes has become much harder. Who still actually produces them?

Also, I’m building two .30 cal cans, and want the hives opinion. Primary uses are going to be for hunting and carbine classes .... and here’s the kicker: the everyday carbine is a 16” .308.

Is readily available titanium suitable for a tube that will see a lot of quick .308? Or do I need to have someone just do a couple SS tubes? Blast chamber, and all baffles will be stainless regardless.
View Quote
Here is a thread on suppliers.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Form-1-Suppressor-Parts-Suppliers-list-and-Form-1-Parts-Weights-List-/55-457778
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top