Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2017 11:08:50 AM EDT
I built a 7 baffle suppressor for my 30-06 class and under hunting rifles. The suppressor is hearing safe but barely.

I was thinking abut clipping the baffles but I like how with out the clips I get a very repeatable poi shift on all of my guns even when the baffles are taken out and put back in again. I also don't want to have to clock the baffles for each rifle to keep the current shift in the vertical plane only.

I am wanting to know what my options are for clipping or slotting etc that might minimize a non repeatable poi shift and would make it quieter.

By the way the suppressor is 10"x1.5" with a 3" or so blast chamber. And I use a few different adaptors with it for different rifles. When they are removed all pressure is off the baffle stack so the baffles can shift when the next one is put on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Google "double hybrid clip"......
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. How is the tone with that set up compared to a single clip?

Also how critical is it to have a flat face on the bore entry?  I only did it on the blast baffle and it's not a very thick one. The rest of my cones have a slight chamfer on each bore entry. I also had to be them out to 7/16" or .4375 because it's for a 9.3x62mm or .366 dia bullet.

I may want to do three clips instead of four so I have a larger Web between each that way they don't splay out since the wall thickness on each prong will be thinner on mine. Or maybe they  wont. I'd have to measure.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I have a friend that did a F1 with the dual hybrid clip, after being disappointed with unclipped cones.  The DHC is much quieter, and he said the alignment of the clips doesn't matter at all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I see what you did now. Its two clips with a cut across each side. I thought it was four clips.

Also that design is symmetrical so there should not be a poi shift as compared to unclipped baffles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That picture shows a rounded clip cut and the original designer says to square cut them.  3/16" bit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The DHC works quite well. I can't comment on indexing as my only device using them is welded.

Quoted:3" or so blast chamber.
View Quote

Why such a large blast chamber?
You should have decreased this and added more baffles.

Quoted:I use a few different adaptors
View Quote
Id keep this under wraps as your phrasing sounds like you have spare parts, ie illegal no no's
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Iirc the blast chamber is actually something less than 3". I needed to be able to use the can with a Griffen taper mount break.

Also the adaptors are the different threaded adaptors to attach the suppressor to different muzzle devices and direct thread sizes. It's no different than having the same type adaptors for commercial cans like the .30 harvester or hybrid 46.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Griffin's longest taper brake is 2.3". Most adapters are around .5" long. This would mean your brake protrudes into the blast chamber by 1.8". This would give you a first baffle spacing, off the brake, of approx. 1" +/-. there's no reason for this as your brake is separating the initial impulse wave. I'm trying to say that aside from clipping (which I believe will help immensely) your baffle spacing can help and/or hinder performance. Think about this while your altering the internals.

Your idea of how silencer parts work is skewed. Just because SilencerCo can sell spare parts does not mean you're allowed to make them. Also, your description of this Form 1 can's rear portion doesn't sound like how an ASR mount works.
Quoted:When they are removed all pressure is off the baffle stack
View Quote

When an ASR mount is swapped, the rear cap stays in place and the baffles do not move.
Maybe it's how I'm envisioning your words, but what you're describing sounds like the rear cap is being changed. This is considered a silencer part.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Noticeable difference after clipping the cones in my Form 1 suppressor.  1.5" x 8" with 8 cones. Entire reason for the DHC was to minimize POI shift and the additional sound reduction was a plus. Have only used this suppressor on my Blackout but will be checking out any POI shift this spring when my Creedmore is finished.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
From what it sounds like, you have multiple end caps that you're swapping to attach the can to different hosts. That's a big no-no. Since your end cap holds the baffle stack it is very much considered a silencer part and any others would be considered having spare parts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From what it sounds like, you have multiple end caps that you're swapping to attach the can to different hosts. That's a big no-no. Since your end cap holds the baffle stack it is very much considered a silencer part and any others would be considered having spare parts.
View Quote
I’ll start by saying I only have commercial cans, but I think you’re wrong on the mounts. It is no different than a user serviceable pistol can or a rimfire can with multiple mounts. You can have a griffin checkmate with a 1/2x28 dt module and a qd module. They retain the baffles. You can have all the mounts you want as long as there is no way to make an illegal suppressor with them. You can not have ANY extra drilled baffles. That is clear. Mounts are not silencer parts on commercial cans, why would they be on home made cans as long as you have no way to illegally assemble them.

I would not have an extra tube that is threaded the same on both ends that your could make an illegal suppressor with by putting your extra.mounts on both ends.  That would be seen as illegal by the batfe.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I would also assume that if you had a commercial can that had multiple mounts and those also fit your Form 1 tube then you have a legal reason for those parts independent of whether they fit your Form 1 can.  DMs ASR tube for instance can take many of the mounts that a SiCo owner might already have.  Putting an ASR adapter into the back of DM's bigger tubes completes the back end of the can and holds baffles in so in that case commercial mounts are clearly nothing more than thread adapters.

Along a similar vein I wonder if one had a blast sleeve for different mounts then one has a lawful reason for having those parts independent of whether they might also fit a Form 1 build.  Reading the law it would appear that is allowable but the history of case law and prosecutions is enough to leave one wary of doing anything other than toeing the imaginary line of compliance.

$200 to register another can or even mount is pretty cheap protection money.  I wonder how easily a silencer Form 1 for a 7/8" long 1 inch caliber 'silencer' (a Tapermount adapter) would get through the examiners?  Because under the hard line interpretation we are all recommending here that is exactly the ridiculous risk mitigation strategy one would need to make sure there are no unregistered silencer parts for many plug and play designs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Commercial manufacturers get stuff approved before they go to market and as such can sell modular cans and multiple end caps. This has been hashed out on several Form 1 suppressor forums and has always come back as not acceptable. I have threaded end caps on each end of my F1 can in 1/2-28 and 5/8-24. I swap the caps to fit whichever barrel I'm screwing it on. The other acceptable method is brakes or flash hiders with common outer threads,  ie: Griffin or AAC.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Commercial manufacturers get stuff approved before they go to market and as such can sell modular cans and multiple end caps. This has been hashed out on several Form 1 suppressor forums and has always come back as not acceptable.
View Quote
Because forums always have the best grasp. It's amazing how many lawyers we have on here. You'd think everyone here passed the bar exam. Well if gem tech can do it with the 9mm multimount why can't someone else make one nearly identical to it. This would be very entertaining to see in court. A prosecutor would be made to look very stupid if someone copied a MM 9mm can and they wanted to make a stink about it. Laughable at best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top