Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2021 11:05:25 PM EDT
I wanted to see if there was a way to make more room in an ACH? (BAE LWH to be exact)

It seems the easiest way to do so would be to replace the pad system. I looked online to see if there is a 1/2" replacement pad system out there but so far no luck.

Otherwise, does anyone have recommendations to help fit a M/L head into a Medium ACH?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Some time back, the Army did a study.that apparently showed TBIs could be reduced by using one or two sizes larger helmets.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some time back, the Army did a study.that apparently showed TBIs could be reduced by using one or two sizes larger helmets.
View Quote

I don't know that study, but this makes sense to me (think of back-face deformation for body armor).

Space between is a good thing OP, even for bumping your noggin. A thicker pad would be better, would it not?

Why do you want a size M helmet so bad?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't know that study, but this makes sense to me (think of back-face deformation for body armor).

Space between is a good thing OP, even for bumping your noggin. A thicker pad would be better, would it not?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m on the edge for both and it was used/surplus/what they have available for a good deal
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Pads come in both 1/2 and 3/4". The pads location and thickness along with their stiffness allows for a lot of size adjustment. A bigger helmet will be easier to fit multiple heads but bigger helmets weigh more and are obviously bigger, so there is good and bad to going the next size up, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pads come in both 1/2 and 3/4". The pads location and thickness along with their stiffness allows for a lot of size adjustment. A bigger helmet will be easier to fit multiple heads but bigger helmets weigh more and are obviously bigger, so there is good and bad to going the next size up, IMO.
View Quote

Could you point me towards where there are 1/2” pads? I can’t seem to find any online
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some folks buy appropriately-sized helmet, and adjust things to use thicker pads most of the time.  In cold weather, perhaps switch to thinner pads, and wear a fleece beanie or the like.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Im in the same boat between L and XL. Used the 4D pads in the L and fits great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im in the same boat between L and XL. Used the 4D pads in the L and fits great.
View Quote

Good to know. I was looking at that or the Team Wendy EPIC system since they seem to offer a choice between thick and thin padding.

I also might try to see if there is someone local willing to swap or trade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried the Epic and for me it was a no go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for 4D Tactical pads.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks fellas I might have to take you up on the recommendation.

I saw these as well if anyone has opinions on them:

-GALVION BATLSKIN VIPER ACH PAD SET

-MSA ACH MICH 1/2 Pads (only $28)

Gotta get a chinstrap as well soon
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy the size you need sell the size you have
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Just an update: found some 1/2” Oregon Aero pads that fit amazing. They feel fantastic and their harness system works great too
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Could you point me towards where there are 1/2” pads? I can’t seem to find any online
View Quote

The army only has 2 sizes of pads. 3/4” and 1”.

This is because 3/4” provides the minimum cushioning acceptable to the army. Size discrepancies that cannot be resolved by 3/4” or 1” pads are solved by a different (correctly) sized helmet
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is because 3/4” provides the minimum cushioning acceptable to the army. Size discrepancies that cannot be resolved by 3/4” or 1” pads are solved by a different (correctly) sized helmet
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I went down the rabbit hole and started to learn about the different pad offerings out there. It makes sense that they would set a minimum. I know people want to swear by Mil-spec standards, but I think personally for civilians that will just have a helmet sitting in a closet for emergency use it’s not as big of a deal. I opted for 1/2” pads and now the set-up works great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah I went down the rabbit hole and started to learn about the different pad offerings out there. It makes sense that they would set a minimum. I know people want to swear by Mil-spec standards, but I think personally for civilians that will just have a helmet sitting in a closet for emergency use it’s not as big of a deal. I opted for 1/2” pads and now the set-up works great.
View Quote

Where'd you find the pads? I'd like to have some on hand for some of my spare hand me down ach's. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]
If you know how to sew you can take the pads apart, thin them down, and resew. You will see how the pads are made as well.

I have made some custom pads that were very comfortable.

Going with a lighter helmet may not be ideal for impacts but it would have to reduce neck injuries. I know lighter is better when wearing all day.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#19]
You don't even need to sew the covers to change padding. I make a small cut at the rear of the pad covers to remove and install pads. Once the covers are stuck into the helmet, the Velcro keeps them closed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where'd you find the pads? I'd like to have some on hand for some of my spare hand me down ach's. Thanks.
View Quote

They have size 4 pads on Oregon Aero’s website. They are patterned green/black so look out for those. I checked eBay and they have some crown pads but I didn’t see a full kit available.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you know how to sew you can take the pads apart, thin them down, and resew. You will see how the pads are made as well.

I have made some custom pads that were very comfortable.

Going with a lighter helmet may not be ideal for impacts but it would have to reduce neck injuries. I know lighter is better when wearing all day.
View Quote

I saw the same recommendation in another thread and I had done that with the typical pads the LWH comes with. I realized that there are two forms of foam thickness so cutting the material you have to decide which side to shave down.

It worked in a pinch but I much prefer the Oregon aero system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top