Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Posted: 12/1/2021 8:52:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: Mooninite]
Hoping to get some feedback from some of the users here with a lot more knowledge than I have, so anyone who wishes to is invited to participate in this discussion.

I have a PVS14 with a white phosphor XLS tube and I'm mainly just trying to determine if there might be an issue with it or not. Some things might be difficult to describe well but I'll do my best.

Most of my concerns are centered around how it handles bright light sources vs other NV I've had in the past. One issue is that if I look into an area with high contrast from light the image will have kind of a weird shadow on the edge of where the light and dark meet. For example if I'm looking into an area of lit street with a tree between myself and the street, the edge of the lighter part of the image from the street will have a shadow around the dark part of the image with the tree in it. It's most apparent when scanning and dragging the image across the tree, looks somewhat similar to when something is pressed into a tv display. I've seen this before in other tubes so I'm not overly concerned about it, it's just more apparent than I'm used to.

A possible issue I'm more concerned by is in regard to when an actual light source appears in the image. If I scan and come across a porch light or something like that it will leave a very defined streak, again similar looking to a finger being dragged across a tv display. I've had units where a slightly dark streak would appear and then fade quickly but they were never defined like with this one. The definition is most apparent within the halo around the light source and is very fine. Also when I look somewhere else with the unit instead of the streaks being dark and slowly brightening it will be the opposite where that area appears slightly brighter than the rest of the image before balancing out.

The 14 was made by a major vendor here with a good warranty so I'm not worried about anything like that. Mostly just seeing if any of this sounds like actual problems or if I just might not get along with this tube for whatever reason. I was originally planning on just moving on from this one but the more I've thought about I wanted to see if there might be a problem with it before doing anything like that.

Also the image overall is dimmer than I'm used to and I get less scintillation in darker environments than previous NV I've owned. Gain seems to max out about 2/3 of the way up when I adjust it.

Housing is fully Carson so I don't think there's any issues caused by the glass or anything like that. Was mostly wondering if these sound like possible issues with power or autogating.

Specs are pretty good overall and in line with what ive had in the past.

SNR 30
Res 64
Halo .9
EBI .7
Gain is around 68k
PS just under 1900

Sorry if my descriptions aren't the best but I did try
missing
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:33:16 AM EST
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:41:13 AM EST
[#2]
Also it's been reported by some that the newer lenses from different vendors have a similar effect.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:12:15 AM EST
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does any of this sound like something I should send it in and have it checked out for or just quirks?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 1:22:38 PM EST
[#4]
I don't know man, I'd wring it out a little more before I sent it in.  Have you tried a "re-focus" ring yet?  Just a BC #07 with a .223" hole in it.  I use these in high light areas to "stop down" the amount of light getting in.  If that's just a quirk of your tube when brighter light hits it, that might help you out some.  

When you say the gain doesn't go up as far as other tubes you've used, that makes me wonder about the tube, more so than temporary "light streaks"?
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:24:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: Mooninite] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
I don't know man, I'd wring it out a little more before I sent it in.  Have you tried a "re-focus" ring yet?  Just a BC #07 with a .223" hole in it.  I use these in high light areas to "stop down" the amount of light getting in.  If that's just a quirk of your tube when brighter light hits it, that might help you out some.  

When you say the gain doesn't go up as far as other tubes you've used, that makes me wonder about the tube, more so than temporary "light streaks"?
View Quote

What I mean by the gain not going up is that it seems like ABC kicks in much earlier than I'd expect when cranking it up.

I don't have another unit to compare it to at the moment so a lot of my comparisons to my previous units might mostly be in my head and me over scrutinizing it. I can still definitely see in the dark well with this and comparing pics/videos I've taken with this to ones I took with previous ones doesn't really seem to show a difference.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 8:47:01 AM EST
[#6]
Well geez about the only other thing I can think of is it's a XLS tube, which means it might have some "issues" somewhere.  I mean lots of guys have gotten good deals on these, but at the end of the day, it's still sort of "pot luck".

If it performs well, on it's own merits, then so what if it's "different" from your other tubes.  

Like I have a 10-yr old GP thin-filmed, that I compare against my new WP thin-filmed, and like no shit, they are different.  BUT.  When I take the GP out by itself, it's still a good unit.  So if that streaking is just happening under certain circumstances, and not all the time, meh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top