Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2020 10:09:05 PM EDT
You know how ARs with "restricted" markings on the receiver, something when the Clinton Ban, to the effect "Restricted - Law Enforcement/Military Use Only."  Anyhow, I found a blued Mini with that writing on the receiver for $550 and am trying to decide whether or not to buy it.  If it weren't for that special wording I wouldn't consider it because I like to know I can get my money back out of a gun if I have to sell it and for a blued Mini, $550 is about the limit where I live.

Thoughts of the hive?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid around $800 for an LE blued mini-14 GB factory folder (186) if that helps.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Minis are only going to get more expensive, I'd jump on it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
There are collectors/buyers wanting LEO restricted markings on their guns.  Sort of like US Property mark - it may seem like a detriment initially but then over time becmes more of a collector interest - The gun was designed for Mil/Law Enforcement and not commercial.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of JUST Mini-14 GBs.

LE marked Mini-14s are usually less desirable and valued lower in price than a NON LE marked GB model.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speaking of JUST Mini-14 GBs.

LE marked Mini-14s are usually less desirable and valued lower in price than a NON LE marked GB model.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
they run about $100 more. non le more than le.

trending sales indicate this.

Maybe some states have some pre ban provision?

I have noticed different castings lines on the LE marked ones.

No valid reason.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

they run about $100 more. non le more than le.

trending sales indicate this.

Maybe some states have some pre ban provision?

I have noticed different castings lines on the LE marked ones.

No valid reason.
View Quote
GB’s were government only sales when they were being produced, because Bill Ruger was a douche, so basically they were all restricted guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I did the Mini 14 thing in the eighties. Only way I would buy another if it was dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

GB’s were government only sales when they were being produced, because Bill Ruger was a douche, so basically they were all restricted guns.
View Quote
They were hard to get but dealers could get them as well as AC-556 models for sale to public. Such sales were frowned upon.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a nice looking Mini.  I did buy a stainless Mini, one of the newer models. I wish it had the Ruger flash hider on it, but it didn't.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a Ruger flash hider?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did the Mini 14 thing in the eighties. Only way I would buy another if it was dirt cheap.
View Quote
Your loss as you're missing out on a good shooter with the 58X Series they produce now.

Back in the 80's the Minis were all 'pencil barrel' versions (180 - 197 Series made from 1978 to early 2004) and suffered from barrel whip and poor accuracy.  Since then, they've been redesigned and fitted with thicker barrels and have much, much better accuracy potential; about 2 MOA stock out of the box with decent ammo and with a few simple do-it-yourself teaks you can do to them to further enhance their accuracy, 1 MOA accuracy using premium bullet handloads is doable.

My 583 Series Mini14, with a few simple teaks and some inexpensive additions that cost me about what a decent AR trigger costs, produces 1" groups with simple Hornady 62grn fmj bullet handloads and iron sights.  That's plenty good enough accuracy to shoot bowling pins at 200yds.  Try that with an iron sights AR and the same ammo.  I've got 3 ARs, all with RRA's NM triggers too and the 2 iron sighted carbines don't do any better than my Mini while the 3rd is a scoped A4 set up to shoot apples at 400yds.

I haven't bothered shooting my 68grn accurate loads in my Mini with their more expensive bullets because my Mini is an irons only carbine so I'm not interested in long range precision shooting with it.  At 300yds and below, with it's target rear aperture and thinned front blade giving it a 'NM' like sight set, it will take on anything I can see without a scope so I'm really pleased with it accuracy.

In addition, a couple years ago I wanted to go with a 'Mini M14' look to match up with my M1A, the semi-auto version of the M14 I had in the Army a long time ago so I went a bit nuts by adding a walnut stock, front sight/FH combo, and straight 20rd mags. I think it came out just fine.  It's accurate, super reliable, compact, and just a ton of fun to shoot.

ETA: My 'Mini M14' did come out looking a lot like my M1A didn't it?

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I would snag it at $550. Mini 14 prices are retarted these days even for 20 year old models. I have a 180 series and want a newer version that is actually able to be worked on. Looked around and all the 182 series and up are expensive
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Mini 14 around here are getting higher and higher .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top