Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2022 11:23:21 AM EDT
Jumping back into NFA land again after a 10 yr hiatus and getting ready to submit multiple F1's.

I'm listed as a co-trustee on a family NFA trust in PA and I'm now living in NC.  If I add these new F1's to the old trust do I mark them with my City, NC or do I mark them with the original city, PA as listed on the trust?

Conversely, I'm giving some thought to just creating a new trust all together for these specific items.  I'm building multiple (at least 2) DeLisle carbines.  I'm very tempted to create a new trust with the name, Sterling Co Trust or similar so the engraving on the tube will be less obtrusive than <Last Name> Trust.  I figure that at some point in the future one or more may get sold either by myself or by a beneficiary.  To my brain that seems like it would be more betterer from a buying/selling perspective than personalizing it like it is.  Maybe I'm overthinking this one though.  Would you care if you're buying a DeLisle clone and it had someone's last name on it or would the uniqueness/coolness factor of it override that?  I'd probably be putting the engraving just forward of the handguard on the underside of the tube and not with the typical "The De Lisle 'Commando' Carbine" engraving up top.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't help with the first question but, when I did my trust I did my initials and not a full name. So the trust is first name initial, middle name initial, last name initial. So it reads like XZY Trust. You don't have to use your name for the trust so you can go with something like you want to do or something completely different.
When I did the engraving on my SBR, the engraver blacked it out so unless I point out the engraving no one sees it. I would not worry about the engraving keeping someone from buying your SBR down the road. If someone wants the gun, I doubt the engraving will be the deal breaker.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The city and state you mark it with is the city and state where you actually perform the physical making of the NFA item after the form is approved.  

Obviously at a minimum that would have to be in the same state as the state you list on the form in 3(b) as the primary storage location of the item, since you cannot get approval to make the firearm in state "A" then actually make it in state "B" because you would have violated the crossing state lines without approval rule right off the bat.  However, the city you engrave on it and make the item in doesn't necessarily have to be the city recorded as the primary storage location of the item.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The city and state you mark it with is the city and state where you actually perform the physical making of the NFA item after the form is approved.  

Obviously at a minimum that would have to be in the same state as the state you list on the form in 3(b) as the primary storage location of the item, since you cannot get approval to make the firearm in state "A" then actually make it in state "B" because you would have violated the crossing state lines without approval rule right off the bat.  However, the city you engrave on it and make the item in doesn't necessarily have to be the city recorded as the primary storage location of the item.  
View Quote
So basically whenever the "birth" happens. The trust address itself is immaterial then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
@BigWaylon

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if I needed to modify/amend the trust.  I'll just use my current address for the F1.  Also makes sense where if I move before I complete the F1 I engrave the new city/state on there and update the storage location with the ATF at that point.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top