Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/30/2018 4:49:56 PM EDT
I've had this AUG A3 M1 for a bit now, round count is somewhere between 500 and 1000. The gun has always operated fine, except the bolt would fail to lock back after the last round maybe 1 out of 3 times. This would happen with Steyr and Magpul mags. Ammo used is milspec brass case M855, M193 and Wolf Gold, no steel case.

For the past couple hundred rounds I used the adverse gas setting, thinking it just needed breaking in. It seemed to work and I can't recall any instances of the bolt not locking back. Fast forward to today and I turn the gas back down to normal and hit the range. The bolt failed to lock back on 2 out of 3 mags.

I get home and strip the rifle down. I check the normal stuff. Piston has all gas rings, trigger pack is properly installed, rifle is clean, etc, etc. Then I notice the plate that locks up against the barrel seems to be getting hammered on and pushed out?

Attachment Attached File

Not really sure what the issue is here and if this related to the bolt not locking back. Any of you guys seen this before? Probably going to send some pics to Steyr and I would imagine they will want me to send it in. Bummer, I hate getting a lemon!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:06:32 PM EDT
I see two problems in that picture. This is a problem that rarely affects some guns, but it is known. Call Steyr.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2018 5:10:33 PM EDT by blfuller]
The sleeve on the side that is pushed up may be pushing on the plate with the 2 screws. Did you disassemble? Wonder if they just didn't press that sleeve in to be flush or maybe the the plate is supposed to retain the sleeve and it is too long. Mine is flat and not pushed up. It is Austrian.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:08:48 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maleante:0
I see two problems in that picture. This is a problem that rarely affects some guns, but it is known. Call Steyr.
View Quote
Could you elaborate? So I can better explain the problems when speaking with Steyr.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2018 6:14:54 PM EDT by maleante]
The receiver front plate is bent toward the charging handle side of the gun and the charging handle side steel bushing on the front of the receiver is pushed out.

They'll know exactly what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:17:53 PM EDT
To the question of the failure of the bolt locking back, I'd say it's unrelated.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:19:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maleante:
The receiver front plate is bent toward the charging handle side of the gun and the charging handle side steel bushing on the front of the receiver is pushed out.

They'll know exactly what you're talking about.
View Quote
Thank you for the help, I`ll update this thread with what happens.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:21:42 PM EDT
Talked with Herbert at Steyr about the issues with the rifle, nice guy. Going to send the rifle in next week for repair.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:06:25 PM EDT
Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:11:36 PM EDT
Late to the party, but I believe you are looking at two separate, unrelated issues. AUGs have stoopid strong springs when new. My usual recommendation on a new AUG is to store the gun with the bolt locked to the rear for at least two weeks to help the springs take their initial set. The spring tension may very well be the cause of your short strokes.

I had the same issue with the bent receiver plate on my old A3; I had to send it in as well. Honestly, I've had to send both my A3 and M1 back, but that's another discussion. The issue with the bent receiver plate is that either the heat treat was wrong on the plate, or the thrust piece of your bolt carrier is out of spec and slamming the charging handle nipple and bushing beyond their normal range of travel, which pushes up on the receiver plate. Herbert is the smartest AUG man here in the states; he'll get you sorted out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:45:47 PM EDT
Spoke with Herbert today, rifle is fixed and on the way back. Pretty good turnaround time.

Charging handle assembly replaced, plate replaced and bushing repaired.

As to the bolt not locking back: Herbert said he "adjusted" the hammer spring. Apparently Steyr started using a heavier hammer spring on the semiautomatic AUGs a few years ago and it can cause issues, Herbert didn't agree with this design change. I'm not sure how a hammer spring can be adjusted, maybe he just installed another one from a full auto hammer pack. Regardless, I'll take his word it's GTG. He certainly seems to know his stuff.

Looking forward to getting it back!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:15:07 PM EDT
Awesome!

And yea, AUG hammer springs are ridiculous
Top Top