Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 3:11:15 PM EDT
Warranty applies only to original owner?  Really?   They sell these at a premium, and it’s a great product, but this warranty policy seems a little fucky.  Am I wrong?   I can understand not wanting to cover a bajillion used acogs, but you’re not gonna cover the second owner of a 1 year old $9k scope?  I’m not in any fix right now, but it gives me a hell of a pause buying them on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#1]
this is the case with all armasight/flir products as well. only applies to original purchaser. i found this out on a product that Armasight previously warrantied, but would no longer support after FLIR took over.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
That sucks.  I bought several used Armasight scopes and they did zero charge warranty work on them.  This was pre Flir.   What’s pulsar’s policy?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet they did that so they don't have to do warranty work on any old military/LE scopes if they ever make it onto the secondary market.  I think it is a smart move...but I don't like it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That does suck. Good info, I'll keep Trij off my trade lists.

Anybody have firsthand experience buying a used Trij thermal with no warranty carry over and had to use their support or had to send it in? Curious if they blew you off, ass raped you for repairs, treated you right, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I spoke to them today about buying a used Reap, which would have been my third Trijicon thermal.  CS said nope, you won’t be covered.   He was polite like they always are, and also very clear about the policy.  I’m not bitching, as they have every right to do business as they choose.  Just be aware of the policy before buying one of their thermals.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve owned all 3 majors , that were bought used.  All 3 fixed them, knowing they were used, when needed. I haven’t had anything that was second hand recently from flir.  In my experience, it really depends who you talk to at the mfg. I think their blanket answer is , no, we won’t cover that ..... but if you’re polite, and talk to the right folks, they will.  I’ve also had both good and bad overall experiences with all 3 regarding warranty work .

The flip side of all of this.... if the used market is warranty free, buyer beware , as their new stance (all mfg included) then they should probably be ready to stop riding the wave of popularity.  For 7-10k, it don’t matter if I bought it new, or I bought it from tacosis.   It’s still only a year old. I’ve got a client that’s a lawyer, I actually talked to him about this the other day. He’s in the same boat buying used, then raw deal from mfg . Long story short , just because they say no on the phone , doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true .   To be clear, I’m not an attorney, and don’t know laws/legal speak ect .  But I would be interested to here from folks that are on this matter.  May save folks headache down the road .
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned all 3 majors , that were bought used.  All 3 fixed them, knowing they were used, when needed. I haven't had anything that was second hand recently from flir.  In my experience, it really depends who you talk to at the mfg. I think their blanket answer is , no, we won't cover that ..... but if you're polite, and talk to the right folks, they will.  I've also had both good and bad overall experiences with all 3 regarding warranty work .

The flip side of all of this.... if the used market is warranty free, buyer beware , as their new stance (all mfg included) then they should probably be ready to stop riding the wave of popularity.  For 7-10k, it don't matter if I bought it new, or I bought it from tacosis.   It's still only a year old. I've got a client that's a lawyer, I actually talked to him about this the other day. He's in the same boat buying used, then raw deal from mfg . Long story short , just because they say no on the phone , doesn't necessarily mean it's true .   To be clear, I'm not an attorney, and don't know laws/legal speak ect .  But I would be interested to here from folks that are on this matter.  May save folks headache down the road .
View Quote
My brother is a lawyer and what he's telling me is if the second hand buyer has the original purchase order from an authorized dealer, then warranty repair should be covered. No guarantees, but also no reason why they shouldn't cover it. I think the opposite view for this is Trijicon doesn't want to repair an item they didn't receive money for, i.e. stolen.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I could certainly understand not wanting to warranty stolen property. I’m sure there’s some that turns up “unaccounted for” . I may be way off base, but my gut feeling is it’s a way to help ensure folks buy new product.  Why chance it if your only gonna save 2k?  Surely there’s somebody here that has connections with mfg?? Maybe they could reach out to them, and have them explain here in an open forum?  That would help clear the air of speculation from commone folks, like me..... my personal thought is that it would be extremely beneficial if this happened.  Best I can tell there’s several sponsors, and quite a few more involved in the sales of all this stuff here.  So hopefully one of them can help clear this up .  Can’t see any downside to a company being upfront about their policies.

Side note, my wife bought one for me as a gift a while back .  Is warranty valid or not? I wasn’t original purchaser.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I was told by a rather large dealer that pulsar has same original buyer only policy.  I can tell you for absolute fact, that is not accurate, in my experience.  Got a deal that was too good to pass on.  Had some trouble few weeks later , they took care of it . Pretty hassle free.  This was recently
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks.  I bought several used Armasight scopes and they did zero charge warranty work on them.  This was pre Flir.   What’s pulsar’s policy?
View Quote
My recent experience with pulsar is they will honor warranty.  I’ve been told by 3 dealers that they wouldn’t.  But it was too good a deal to pass on. Obviously I can’t speak for pulsar, but that’s my experience
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a second hand mk3 (under IRD no less) and still got a rma from trijicon. Mine was technically out of warranty , which according to trijicon started as of manufacture date and not selling date but they did the work anyway. All these guys' calls are monitored and they have to say the company line but in practice they are good
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That was similar to my experiences with them. Hopefully tnvc, unv, or some other vendors will be along shortly to clarify...

I have seen from time to time, unv sell their rental stuff. In the past they have advertised some with warranty remaining. Maybe it’s different because they’re dealers, but second hand, is second hand
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Figured I’d bring this back up
@tnvc do you have any insight on this?  With nvision warranty policy, us peons would like to compare all this stuff before making any decisions. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if this help but recently my sisten-in-law sent my 3 year old IRD scope back that she borrowed for hogs because the screen when blank.  No questions asked, I have an recently rebuilt scope.

THANKS TRIJICON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok so if that’s your policy announce it as your policy.   Don’t explicitly tell people the exact opposite.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top