Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 10:13:25 AM EDT
Anybody have one?

I am looking at it. I like that it can be used as a monocle, clip on and as a weapon site.

It seems to be able to do all things well, except for short battery life, which is concerning.

I am looking at it for hunting and surveillance.

Anybody have one?  Like or dislike things about it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. I like it.

The 1X and fairly wide angle view for scanning is the main feature I wanted. Helmet mounting is no more expensive or tricky than mounting a PVS-14, but bridging with a PVS-14 is expensive.

Rifle mounting makes it good for aiming within 100 yards or so but don't expect to identify a small visible piece of even a lareg animal at that distance - say a deer's head in the brush.
For that, you need magnification, and with magnification you lose the ability to walk around behind the thermal and recognize the physical world downrange.

The device is very good. Perhaps the best for the money for what I want.
It is tricky to sight in and stores only one set of reticle values.
The menu system is easy to screw up and takes time to reconfigure if you do screw it up.
Rifle mounting is a snap, but requires a rail that extends well back, like an AR15 upper, to get close enough to it. Don't expect to mount it to a bolt action rifle without effort.
I got a 3X TPL magnifier for mine. It's awesome but since it clips to the objective it will shift POI when using the IRP as a scope.
I never used clip-on mode. No idea if guys are happy with that.
The firmware could use some serious attention as regards several features but Trijicon doesn't seem to be interested.
Mine goes through a battery in about 45 minutes. I have the extender but with that on the device it eats two batteries in less than twice the time, so I don't use it.
I don't much care because I wanted a thermal that runs on batteries and have no interest at all in thermal with built-in rechargeable batteries.

i could go on longer. What else do you want to know?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is not Clip on capable, none of the Trij/IR def units are. Not even the SNIPE IR accomplished this. Just know that info going into a purchase.
View Quote
When I bought mine the device was claimed to be clip on capable. It has a clip on mode that displays a smaller-than-normal screen size.

But I was never convinced and had no interest in the mode anyway.

After a warranty repair that included a firmware update (18 months or so ago), the clip-on mode still appears in the menu.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My REAP barely fits the G22e fully extended, it basically rubs my glasses unless I get it just right
That said if you don't wear glasses it should be fine in a G24 or G22e

An external battery pack is a must with any of the IR series thermals because the battery life is pretty miserable but once you go external the battery life is awesome
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Ir patrol with extender using a 16650 battery I get at least 2 hrs per battery I carry 3 spares so battery runtime not an issue.

The 16650 Sanyo bare cells with a 4.35v charger work great.

I use it as a scanner when closing the distance to the critters. When critters are stopped looking around I pause till they go back feeding. Edge mode is great for detection on open fields.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have one. I like it.

The 1X and fairly wide angle view for scanning is the main feature I wanted. Helmet mounting is no more expensive or tricky than mounting a PVS-14, but bridging with a PVS-14 is expensive.

Rifle mounting makes it good for aiming within 100 yards or so but don't expect to identify a small visible piece of even a lareg animal at that distance - say a deer's head in the brush.
For that, you need magnification, and with magnification you lose the ability to walk around behind the thermal and recognize the physical world downrange.

The device is very good. Perhaps the best for the money for what I want.
It is tricky to sight in and stores only one set of reticle values.
The menu system is easy to screw up and takes time to reconfigure if you do screw it up.
Rifle mounting is a snap, but requires a rail that extends well back, like an AR15 upper, to get close enough to it. Don't expect to mount it to a bolt action rifle without effort.
I got a 3X TPL magnifier for mine. It's awesome but since it clips to the objective it will shift POI when using the IRP as a scope.
I never used clip-on mode. No idea if guys are happy with that.
The firmware could use some serious attention as regards several features but Trijicon doesn't seem to be interested.
Mine goes through a battery in about 45 minutes. I have the extender but with that on the device it eats two batteries in less than twice the time, so I don't use it.
I don't much care because I wanted a thermal that runs on batteries and have no interest at all in thermal with built-in rechargeable batteries.

i could go on longer. What else do you want to know?
View Quote
45 mins on the battery sucks, but maybe thermal is like that,

I was hoping the 8x digizoom would provide better engagement and ID ranges out to 300 yards on a man sized target with the 640 sensor.

I am looking for a scope that does  a fusion between 1x for scanning to compliment my PVS-14 and then zoom for shot placement, the Patrol is one of the few that has the 1x and can also be mounted as a scope.

Thanks for the info, I have to think about this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My REAP barely fits the G22e fully extended, it basically rubs my glasses unless I get it just right
That said if you don't wear glasses it should be fine in a G24 or G22e

An external battery pack is a must with any of the IR series thermals because the battery life is pretty miserable but once you go external the battery life is awesome
View Quote
What is a G24 or G22e?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ir patrol with extender using a 16650 battery I get at least 2 hrs per battery I carry 3 spares so battery runtime not an issue.

The 16650 Sanyo bare cells with a 4.35v charger work great.

I use it as a scanner when closing the distance to the critters. When critters are stopped looking around I pause till they go back feeding. Edge mode is great for detection on open fields.
View Quote
So a 16650 li-ion rechargable can be used with the extender?

That is great to know and makes a big difference for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I found the prior thread about the M300

so no need for this one, thanks for the replies.

Also looking at the Reap
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is a G24 or G22e?
View Quote
Wilcox helmet mounts

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Was an early adopter of the IR Research version.  The IR Research version had several shortcomings.  The mount was not up for the task.  The software lacked x,y offset display, so was a pain in the ass to sight in - a HUGE pain in the ass.  I never bothered to attempt to use it on a clip on as it was not worth using as a scope - and why would I want to magnify a 640x480 display, it looks great as is, but pixelates badly if you magnify it.  Then add that the native magnification is barely more than 1x.  Then I think there was also an issue with recoil effecting the joystick (I never actually dealt with that one).   I retired it to monocular scanning use only after about 1 year.

Now, they did come up with a fix for the mount, but by the time I tried to purchase it, it became impossible to find (outside of purchasing a new M300).  I suspect if I researched it, the software issue was fixed - but they did not offer the fix to earlier purchasers.  The only way to get that fix is with a warranty repair from what I heard.  That only leaves the issues with the native magnification and the battery life.

That said, they do have great looking display.
——
I have a 60mm IR Hunter and I am fairly happy with it.  Only real issue is it is a tad heavy.
—-
Per other peoples reply, sounds like they never put the x,y offset on the display.  With a digital scope that is bad, with the click-less sight in of the Patrol it is inexcusable.  I can sight the IRHunter in with 1 shots.  I can waste a box of ammo and not get the Patrol perfect.  I went so far to ask them how to sight it in - they said put the gun in a vice, shoot it, then move the crosshairs to the point of impact.  That was bullshit.  All they needed to do is display the x,y offset in the menu.  You could see how much the offset = in mill or MOA, then fiddle to you got the right number.  1 shot sight in - just like every day scope should be..  With a >6K scope I just don’t know what they were thinking.

The M300 is a good monocular.  Even owning the IR Hunter, I use the Patrol a LOT more as a monocular.  Even if I could have upgraded the scope mount (from the Wilcox mount), the lack of the x,y offset display makes it a marginal scope at best.  Plus magnification is nice to have in a scope.  Research the ReapIR, I think it is the scope that the M300 should have been.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the info
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry I missed your remark about digital zoom. I use 2X zoom fairly often. Never more. The image gets too poor.
That's why I use the 3X Torrey Pines Magnifier. Very clear image, and with 2X digital gives me 6X with a decent image.
But, as I mentioned, use as an aiming scope with the 3X attached might be both mechanically risky and shift the POI.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry I missed your remark about digital zoom. I use 2X zoom fairly often. Never more. The image gets too poor.
That's why I use the 3X Torrey Pines Magnifier. Very clear image, and with 2X digital gives me 6X with a decent image.
But, as I mentioned, use as an aiming scope with the 3X attached might be both mechanically risky and shift the POI.
View Quote
I bought a REAP-IR -1  35mm  Missdle of the road optical zoom. Not the best (20mm) for scanning and not the best ( 60mm ) for long range shots. I think it is a good compromise middle of the road does both ok, I think.

Amazing, but this is my first and only thermal.

For observation, yeah 2x is about it. It looks like for shot placement the higher digital zooms might be useful but lack of clarity at the higher digital zooms is very evident, but for head shots or center of mass it seems useful, though I have not shot with it yet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#16]
A pal of mine up here chose REAP as well. He bought his from P&R Infrared in Beaverton, and he loves it.
REAP wasn't available when I bought the IRP. Never looked at one seriously. And I am smart enough to know that, if I handle these things, I'll turn into a NV cat-hoarder and be institutionalized by my family. So, I don't.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I am setting up a dedicated rifle for night ops.

Suppressors are a bozo no no in this state.

Does it matter whether I use a FH or a comp or a linear comp with thermal on the rifle and NV on the helmet. Is an SBR bad with thermal and no suppressor due to the fireball, especially with a linear comp?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Thermal no issues shooting.
NV blast will temp obscure target, if no wind smoke will obscure target as well, even worse if using IR light. The smoke will reflect the IR light. If windy no problem. Just my past experiences. Suppressor really helps.  May try a flaming pig style muzzle brake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top