Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 3:49:07 PM EDT
I recently took possession of a fantastic 1873 Springfield trapdoor carbine. Would love to be able to do some research on this. I have sent out emails and I have done internet searches but I really haven't been able to find any success.

Any ideas where I can get my serial number research at? I don't even mind paying, I would just like to know.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a book from Springfield that has a registry.  Granted, it doesn’t have all the numbers but it has quite a list.  You can PM me with the number.  I believe you can also write to Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thank you sir! I tried him it was no bueno.

He didn't have my serial number on record but the closest one to my serial number was issued to the 5th cavalry in early 1881 and returned back in 1885.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you sir! I tried him it was no bueno.

He didn't have my serial number on record but the closest one to my serial number was issued to the 5th cavalry in early 1881 and returned back in 1885.
View Quote

The Springfield Armory is a National Park, and may be able to help you with information.

Either way, you should visit it.  Bring your Garand serial numbers- I know they can give you info on those.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go over to Culver's Shooting Pages, (www.jouster2.com) and post in the trapdoor section. With any luck, Dick Hosmer will chime in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd go over to Culver's Shooting Pages, (www.jouster2.com) and post in the trapdoor section. With any luck, Dick Hosmer will chime in.
View Quote

I tried there, but so far the only person to post had no info.

Thanks for the tip though!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Springfield Armory is a National Park, and may be able to help you with information.

Either way, you should visit it.  Bring your Garand serial numbers- I know they can give you info on those.
View Quote

I have reached out to them twice but I don't know if its because of covid since they are closed, but I have not heard back from them.

I will try again with my M1 number.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top