Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2017 10:17:36 AM EDT
After a successful early muzzleloader season in PA, we're thinking about returning for the late flintlock season. I have never even fired a flintlock, although I have shot many deer with percussion muzzleloaders before switching to inlines.

The gun probably won't be fired much outside of hunting, sighting in and some target practice for hunting. So far I haven't really seen anything bad written about  the Traditions PA Pellet Ultralight (one bad review at Cabela's) and the Traditions Deerhunter, .50 caliber. A friend has and recommends the Lyman Deerstalker but that is 2.5 lbs heavier with a 1:48 twist. I kinda like the idea of the 1:28 that the PA Pellet offers. Would a Traditions rifle make a good starter flintlock for deer? Get the Lyman instead? Any recommendations for other brands? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Lyman Great Plains Hunter Rifle in .50 is a good choice IMHO. 1 in 32 twist if you are shooting bullets, or 1 in 60 if you shoot patched round ball. 
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with a Lyman or Pedersoli flintlock over a Traditions
I have heard that some of the Traditions have an overly soft frizzen that needs to be hardened before it sparks reliably.

I have a Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock that shoots fantastic, i would not hesitate to get another.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
or a Investarms is another good brand too look at..
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you, brother?  I am in Cheshire Co. (by Keene)

I have a traditions, "Deerhunter"?  It's an older model in .50 cal
I also got the TC Hawkens .45 that i switched over to flinty.
Both work GOOD!

You are welcome to try both and see what you like.

ETA: The manual of arms is particular w/flintys.  Nothing bad, just have to pay attention to details.

Also, where do you go in PA? I usually go to Susquehanna county (NEPA)
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. after reading quite a bit I think I'll go with a Traditions (I like my hunting guns short and light) and then maybe install an RPL lock. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be too busy this Jan so I'll have a year to do it.

Quoted:
Where are you, brother?  I am in Cheshire Co. (by Keene)

I have a traditions, "Deerhunter"?  It's an older model in .50 cal
I also got the TC Hawkens .45 that i switched over to flinty.
Both work GOOD!

You are welcome to try both and see what you like.

ETA: The manual of arms is particular w/flintys.  Nothing bad, just have to pay attention to details.

Also, where do you go in PA? I usually go to Susquehanna county (NEPA)
View Quote
I'm over by New Ipswich and am a member of Peterborough Sportsman's Club. Not too far from Keene. Sure, let's go shootin' sometime, maybe this summer.

Yeah, we also hunt Susquehanna County. It's crazy how many bucks I saw there during the antlerless only muzzleloader season last month.

ETA: This guy stood right in front of me about 50 feet away for over a minute. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
If its not too late look at TC Renegade's, I have a few for PA muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
There’s quite a few options.

I’ve hunted withe a TC Firestorm for about ten years now. Never killed a deer with it though. In fact only managed two shots at deer from it and missed both times.

Last January I ordered a Late Lancaster style rifle from TVM and it is an amazing piece of functional art.  However, starting all over again, I would look at one of the Lyman offerings or a used TC Renegade/Firestorm or PA Hunter. Thompson no longer makes flint guns since Ruger bow gut them out. The Cabelas rifles are rebranded Pedersoli I believe and I think a good option.

The main thing is a good fast lock. IMHO this seperates a junk gun from a good rifle. I’ve seen locks on production guns that barely sparked, striking the frizzen a 1/4” from the bottom. And there are cheap locks that are perfect and reliably fast.

I don’t know much about Traditions. But I will tell you that the late season in PA is tough. We usually have snow and ice.  Now a good loading and firing technique will make weather a nonissue on a flint gun but if you don’t understand the relationship between cock, frizzen, pan and touch hole, you will have issues. I can tell you this, my Siler lock will fire the rifle with barely a sprinkle of powder in the pan. I’m talking a few individual grains. I went so far as to lightly wet the pan with spit, charge it, and then pour out what didn’t stick and she fired just fine and very fast. YMMV.  My TC won’t do this.

A few things to look for is a good lock geometry where the flint strikes the frizzen somewhere at the top 1/3 of the face. Also the flint should rest above the pan when the cock is at rest. The touch hole should be centered and present something of a half moon above the pan if level with powder.  Many will say that a 1/16” touch hole is ideal and that depends a lot on the pan and what typing liner you have.

As for rifling, I like a round ball set up. I’m not a fan of the powerbelt bullets but many love them. I get good accuracy with 75gr under a pillow tick patch lubed with deer tallow and a hand cast pure lead .490 ball.

All in all buy the best gun you can afford.  Though the season is short and you may only get one or two days, don’t short change you, the deer or or your enjoyment with cheap crap. It’s still a tool and you’re still hunting an animal and it deserves the best you can do.

Good luck!  I’ll be out after Christmas too, saving a doe tag.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have the time, look into a TVA  kit. I bought their Early Va long rifle and love it. It took me about three months to complete. The lock and trigger are excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top