Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2018 3:43:51 PM EDT
I have a savage 300 win mag. Love the round and am keeping it.

However, I love the 30.06 m1 garand.

My thought and I have already spoke to a gun builder local to me. Take the garand and form it to carry the 300 WIN MAG.

I know a lot of adaptation needs to be done to fit the receiver but that is a minor process.

My question is the receiver itself. I would need a rebarreling and chamber for sure.

Anyone done this, heard of it being done?

I am needing to know if the receiver can be built and then form the stock around it.

Want to get as close as I can to the traditional with a slight twist.

Thoughts, guidance and help will be valuable. If not, it may be something he and I will stretch out on by ourselves.

ETA: McCann Industries made the 458 WIN MAG. I know a 300 can be done.

Info from Hornady:

Diameter - 308
Max Case length- 2.620
Max COL: 3.340
Case trim: 2.610

Diameter- .458
Max COL: 3.340
Max case length: 2.500
Case trim: 2.490.

As seen, the case length overall is the same. It could be adaptable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bolt face diameter, extractor, ejector, and magazine are likely to be the biggest obstacles.  Followed by regulating the gas, although an adjustable block might be sufficient.

A character named McCann built a few .458 Win Mag conversions, but I don't think he's around any longer, so there is hope.
View Quote
That was what the gunsmith said as well. I am wondering if I couldn't get the bolt face diameter off my bolt for my rifle now (I know the bolt itself can't work but just the size would help).

The gunsmith said he is going to see what needs to be done for the ejector and extractor. Both should be able to be adapted from the Browning rifle (If I am thinking clearly). However, the magazine may present a problem. I did not look and see how close the round case was compared to a 3006 but for that, 5 rounds sits inside the mag. I am wondering if we can adapt the clip that pings out after the last shot to hold this larger round.

Sorry for my ignorance on that part. I am not sure what it is called.

Any thoughts on these kind of adaptations to fit the Garand? I have not broken one down. I have only been able to just hold them in a store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The bolt for a M1 or M14/M1A is for 0.473 inch diameter cartridges; this is probably the most common rim diameter amongst all cartridges, including rimmed and pistol cartridges.  The .300 Win Mag requires a "magnum" bolt face for ~0.532 inch diameter cartridge rims.
View Quote
That is good info. Thank you. I did see a video of a Garand being used with a WSM round and it was mag fed.

The next thought I need is an extractor, ejector and mainly an entire chamber able to handle the pressure. I am assuming I can alter the front gas block with an adjustable block to help alleviate the gas.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Leave the Garand alone!!!!!

Granted that converting it to 308 or 243 is a snap with just rebarrel since it pretty close to the same base line case, but when you are going up to a mag belted case, it a whole different ball game isntead.

If your looking for an auto in 300 mag, then suggest that you start looking at the AR platforms that mags are available instead.
View Quote
The Garand is an iconic weapon no doubt. If we can change it to 308 or 243, I see no issue in going to something else. Starting mainly with the innards geared for the 3006.

But let me explain why I am doing this or wanting to do this.

First is nostalgic. My grandfather fought in WWII Pacific theater. He carried the rifle as well as a flame thrower. I have heard many stories about the rifle and in honor of his service, I want a rifle that captures the very thing he had to use in part because of the history and in part because of memory.

I could go with the 3006 or the 308 but the reason the 300 is so desirable also in part is because I am already knee deep in reloads and supplies for it. If I knew I could sell my entire stuff, walk out, pick up a 3006 Garand and dies with powder and brass as well as ammo, I would do so. As it is, I am not even sure if I am going to be able to do what I am talking about. The cost may be way over my limit and being in a single income home with a family, my finances are usually tight. I am really trying to get prices and ideas of doing this. I am even willing to offer my 300 I have now up as parts to make this happen.

Lastly, I want to do this because it is not being done. I have a local gun smith who also may be interested and who knows. We may have a good run with it. I know it is possible as I have seen several videos and articles with this being used with a 458 WM.

Not sure if this explains my motives or reasoning but I am wanting to do something creative for the present while honoring the past.

ETA: I had looked at an AR platform for the 300 WM. Ranging anywhere from $2,500-$6,500 puts it way above my ability. If this project turns to that...I am going to have to walk away from it. But I won't know until I try.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The correct location is my next series of thoughts. Is there an online schematic that shows the proper placement? I have searched for that but again...I am not having good success.

As far as the AR style, I was wondering about that. I am used to bolt action for such a round but had always been curious.

Maybe I am asking a simpleton question and I am sorry if it is...I just don't know. By getting the correct placement, I am needing to make sure the size is correct, the fitting is correct yet the specs are a little bigger to handle the extra pressure?

Here is another question. The Browning has a 300 WM semi-auto...could I technically take that chamber, and build the entire frame around that instead? It would encase the workings that are needed and then I can just adapt the outside to fit? Again, this may be a naive question and I am sorry if it is. Trying to learn more as I have never even seen a browning in that caliber.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lets walk this through step by step.

First we need to enlarge the bolt face recess, and rework the extractor and ejector for a case that will have a rim  .572" (stated at .473).
http://southtexasshooting.org/sitebuilder/images/M1_Garand_Bolt_face-774x603.jpg

Next, we have to re-chamber a heavy barrel from it ID of .470 in 06, to .513" at the back of case/.532" at the belt.
http://criterionbarrels.com/image/data/M1%20Garand%20Chamber.jpg

And to point out, would need to do such on a heaver full contort barrel, and not the standard barrel.
http://www.bearblain.com/images/Barrel%20Full%20Contour.png

As for barrel thread section at the receiver, that is not going to change, so all the enlarging we did to the bolt face and barrel chamber ID size, just produced weaker parts a the receiver barrel threaded section.
https://sep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-24947587498613_2542_23391696.jpg

As for feeding the beast, 300 win rounds are not going to fit correctly in Garland clips, so this means at BM-59 type mag conversion on the receiver, and bases on BM-59 300win mag as well.

As for working pressures we go from the 30-06  of having a max at 60K, while 300win mag at 64K isntead; and again on parts that we just weakened, and on a receiver that was only designed for 60K max to begin with.  Also, very easy to bend a Garand opt rod, so even another tune off, even if the gas port was sized correctly as well.

So if all of this alone has not turned you off on the project, then not sure your seeing the big picture here to start with.  
So it really boiling down if you could, verses if you should, and the answer is no, since ever if you did, the rifle would have a very short live before parts did start to fail quickly instead.

Hell, smith'g time, would only take about 4 Hrs to do the needed mods, but no smith in their right mind is going to do the work, since when the rifle does start to crack parts and puts the users life in jeopardy, it will be their insurance/livelihood on the line instead.
View Quote
@Dano523

Sorry for my late delay in response. Last week has kept me from doing any form of online work of any kind.

Thank you for the info you shared. It wasn't that I was trying to argue. It was that without the evidence you showed me here, I was under the impression that it was just a no. Seeing what you are saying, I do see many problems from what you are saying.

I guess I will just take a step back and wait for another idea to come to my head.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]
If you manage to get your conversion completed, make sure that you install a Schuster adjustable gas plug instead of the non-adjustable USGI one.  Open the plug all the way, closing a little after firing each shot until you captured just enough gas to operate the gun.  Otherwise your op rod will look like a pretzel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you. I had thought about going to an adjustable gas block. However, from the post above mine, it looks as though I am weakening the parts to the point of quickly wearing it out and making it more of a hazard than not.

I do appreciate your thoughts though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top