Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2019 5:49:06 PM EDT
I want a folder that can be opened one-handed for general use, tactical look/feel preferred. Drop point or Tanto (but open to recommendations) blade with a belt clip. I’m right-handed fwiw.
I have several fixed blade knives, Fallkniven and Esee....hope I have those names correct. Anyway, I like them but need something smaller/discrete for EDC.
Thanks y’all.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to add......no budget and I do want something I’ll keep a few years. I do believe in quality but also know there are excellent ‘bang for the buck’ options in any category of life. I’d prefer a workhorse over a thoroughbred. Ceiling is probably about $300
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to beat ZT knifes for quality and price...

There are a ton of flavors though... at a certain point, its more about aesthetics than performance.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Emerson.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Kershaw Blur is a solid made in USA knife. $40-$100 depending on steel choice and coatings. Spring assisted opening, grippy handle, all metal besides the grip inserts.

Benchmade Griptilian $80-$150 more of an utility/work horse knife. Solid easy to use lock. comfortable handle.

Benchmade 940 and variations, $130+  well built kind of flashy gentlemens knife. Slim and lite but can be uncomfortable for heavy duty work.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Best "bang for the buck" right now in the $100-200 price range is the Hogue Ritter at $152
Here
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like the Kershaw Link in M390 steel, lots of belly for slicing, excellent ergos for medium size hands, large hands might need a handle with more real estate....

...like the Spyderco Endura 4, Emerson opening. VG10. Actually the Endura handle is a bit long for me but my what a sweet blade design.

I will never spend over $100 for a pocketknife and these came in at $80 & $90 respectively.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kershaw Blur is a solid made in USA knife. $40-$100 depending on steel choice and coatings. Spring assisted opening, grippy handle, all metal besides the grip inserts.

Benchmade Griptilian $80-$150 more of an utility/work horse knife. Solid easy to use lock. comfortable handle.

Benchmade 940 and variations, $130+  well built kind of flashy gentlemens knife. Slim and lite but can be uncomfortable for heavy duty work.
View Quote
I really like my Blur even though I don’t love the blade shape.  Great knife for the price and the assist open is very tactile and functional.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the Spyderco Endura or Delica Wave models.

I've had my Endura 4 Wave for 3 years now. I don't think anything will ever take it's place in my pocket. It's not spring assist or automatic but it's faster to deploy out of the pocket than either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I truly love the benchmade 940 series. https://www.benchmade.com/940-943-family.html The bugout https://www.benchmade.com/bugout-family.html is good too, especially if you replace the plastic handles. that ritter linked above is really nice too.
I also like the spyderco sage 5, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C123CFCL/995 and they have a plastic handle version with a bushing in it coming out seen that should be cheaper and arguably better. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C123BK/1790  I know the paramilitary 2 is everybody's favorite spyderco, but I like the sage size and shape better.
I've also got my eye out for the giantmouse ace biblio https://www.giantmouse.com/products/ace-biblio
but the bang for your buck award goes to the ganzo fh41. d2 steel flipper riding on bearings with a g10 handle for $25. unreal. https://www.powercutlery.com/search?q=fh41

if you don't mind buying a copy, a green thorn f95 from china for $60 is currently my favorite knife, and I have a LOT of knives. build quality shames my zt's for 1/3 the price. (I also have some crap from china, some it's something of a gamble sometimes. but reate, we, real steel, ch, green thorn, and kevin john make really nice stuff. avoid all the microtech and spyderco clones. they are pretty much garbage)
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forgot to add......no budget and I do want something I’ll keep a few years. I do believe in quality but also know there are excellent ‘bang for the buck’ options in any category of life. I’d prefer a workhorse over a thoroughbred. Ceiling is probably about $300
View Quote
@clubmanager1

That helps to narrow it down.  For most, a "workhorse" denotes a heavier duty folder with the 3.5-4" blade, solid locking mechanism and designed for hard use.  Do you have a locking mechanism preference?  There are numerous designs from the Benchmade Axis; Spyderco lock-backs, compression lock, liner locks (best IMHO are from Emerson Knives), Cold Steel's Tri-Ad (Dempko) lock, frame-locks, etc.  All have advantages and disadvantages...but as long as it's from a quality company, it really just comes down to preference.  Price is always relative and subjective.  For me personally, any folding knives over $250 end up in the safe and un-used.  I have several in the $200 range that I have and will continue to use hard.  On the flip side, I do have some very inexpensive folders under $50 that I can fully endorse and have used hard.  One that I think everyone should try is the $30 RUIKE P801. It's a heavy steel frame lock with a modest 14C28N blade steel, but it's surprisingly well made and finished better than my Emerson folders.  So, while price can be an indicator for value, it doesn't always relate to quality and performance...I just don't want you thinking I'm a knife snob

I prefer satin blades over coated blades, but some models don't offer the choice and if I like the design, a coated blade is inconsequential.  Pocket clips vary and fortunately most of the popular folder have after-market offerings.  Me personally, I've really appreciate the "deep-pocket" carry clips.

I like and own several ZT folders, but they've been suffering from some poor tolerances recently.  Many of their frame-lock folders have failed light spine-whacks, indicative of poor fitting.  While they feel heavy duty, I wouldn't put them in that category for hard-use right now.  The only one I've really used hard is the now discontinued 0630 model that had the Emerson Wave:

One-handed folders have a few different opening methods. Most typical are thumb studs or holes in the blades; both work.  Some variations now include pocket openers like the Emerson "Wave", and several knives are including a flipper method.  I don't mind options, but they all work just fine.

Here are some recommendations, all of which I own.  While there are some great EDC blades at very reasonable prices from Kershaw, CRKT, and Boker, if I was expecting hard-use, I would stick with Spyderco, Emerson, Cold Steel, Hogue, and Benchmade (if you can overlook their political SNAFU).  Many of these blades are good value, but often with less premium materials and not the most consistent QA/QC.

I carried a Spyderco Military for years and love the blade profile and while a little on the thin side, it's a heck of slicer and still quite tough.  On a similar note, the Hundred Pacer is another liner lock with a very unique blade that screams skinner to me.  My favorite recently for an outdoors knife is the Shaman.  I really like the compression lock and the handle is very comfortable with a hell-for-stout drop point blade.

Emerson knives have been my combat knives for the past two decades and I own several.  These are some of the few liner locks I fully trust even though it's not my favorite locking mechanism.  I honestly love the "Wave" opening feature and is one of the primary reason I favor Emerson.  My two favorite for EDC that crosses over from combat to recreational outdoors use are the CQC8 and CQC10.  These blades simply work and withstand tough use.

Politics aside, Benchmade makes good folders.  Most are expensive, but the quality is often well above average.  Their "Axis" lock is smooth and reliable.  For current models, I like the Crooked River, mostly because it reminds me of their old AFCK model.  The Presidio is another stout knife that surprised me.  The Adams can look a little too tactical, but is another very hard use and stout folder (I own the Auto).  Lastly, the Loco (just saw it's discontinued and on sale) has an angled grip if that works, but is an extremely robust work knife.

Hogue doesn't have too many offerings.  Most of their knives use a plunge-lock mechanism and while the handle is a little odd, I really love their X5 blade profile.  They are now producing the Ritter RSK knife (previously made by Benchmade) and it's likely the best value for an outdoors knife design on the market in that genre of knives.  The Axis lock patent expired, so they're making it with a similar design.

Cold Steel either is liked or hated.  I'm indifferent as I simply judge based on quality and performance, so despite their braggadocios marketing, Cold Steel makes some seriously hard-use folders.  Any of the Demko lock designs are excellent with the Tri-Ad being the most common.  The only one here I don't have is the new Scorpion-lock design, but from everything I've heard, it's solid.

Al Mar has had their Japanese-made SERE 2000 for several years.  I truly love the design and it's a quality build, it just lacks premium blades material and is way overpriced.  If it appeals to you, you won't be disappointed though:

Two quality Italian companies are Fox and LionSteel; they make some very good, hard-use knives as well:

LionSteel makes several variations of the SR1/SR2 line frame lock (aluminum frames are the "cheaper" versions); very well executed and secondary locking mechanism for the frame:

Fox Knives is solid (I think they make the new Cold Steel 4 MAX):

There are almost a dozen high-end Chinese made knives (WE, Bestech, Rike, Reate, Artisan, Stedemon, etc), these are all actually well made knives, but many avoid the whole "made in China" aspect, especially if not from a reputable, state-side company.

Recommend heading over to Knifecenter or BladeHQ, use their search functions to narrow down price range, blade length, even lock or opening preference and see what tickles your fancy.  Whatever you decide, make sure to follow up with your choice!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
To be able to easily and quickly open one handed and close one handed without using a fixed object, my leg, or the other hand to close and not have to push a liner or frame lock and close the blade toward my thumb in the path of the blade, I prefer a Benchmade Axis lock with the right blade weight. I find that to be a 551 or 556 variant. My daily carry is a 551-1 G10 drop point plain edge, satin blade, CMP 20CV steel.

I have other blades that are more money, but none that are as easy to use or as maintenance free. The only thing that wears is the pocket clip finish. If it had an uncoated stainless pocket clip it would never show any wear.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Really like my kershaw Brawler.

It may be on the lower $ spectrum from what you have in mind though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Some really nice options above.

I’m pretty happy with my Kershaw Knockout, made in USA, Sandvik 14C28N, drop point with a nice belly, aluminum scales keep it nice and slim/lightweight for EDC, deep-carry clip, and the semi-frame lock is nice and solid. It also comes with black handle/uncoated blade. All for $80.

Stock photos:

Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Best "bang for the buck" right now in the $100-200 price range is the Hogue Ritter at $152
Here
https://i.imgur.com/3pcMddr.jpg
View Quote
Hogue is putting out some really great knives right now, especially impressed with their HK and Sig lines.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top