Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2018 10:30:11 AM EDT
So my original plan was to sell my Omega MP5SD receiver and go back to a standard, fullsize MP5. However the thing is that I am getting nearly enough to purchase a B&T APC9 and definetly enough to purchase a GHM9. However I'm just torn between which to go with.

MP5:
Long service life
Parts everywhere
I have a brace and 14 MP5 mags and two C&P lowers.

Cons:
Non ambi
Outdated ergos
Clones of questionable quality under 2k.
Extremely heavy bullets can damage the gun.

APC9:
New kid on the block
Lifetime warranty
Swiss quality
Much more modern, ambi, great ergos.
MP5 brace section fits it.
seems to eat everything, including 158 grain loads.

Cons:
40-70.00 magazines.
Not threaded (except on the GHM9)
700.00 Adjustable stock.

However I feel if i do end up not liking the APC9, its so expensive i can easily go back to an MP5 for a small loss.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't add too much beyond:

1.) Do you actually need ambi controls?

2.) Are you sitting on a mountain of old 158gr Uzi ammo? And if not, why worry about 158gr loads?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I am in same boat.  I think APC9 is a better pcc all around.  GHM9 runner up. but the mp5 is pop-cultureiffic.  Alot of reviews of the apc9 flat out tell you it's better than an mp5 in terms of a functional weapon. mp5 is very outdated.  most people will tell you to get an mp5.  Mostly because of the pop-culture effect. here is a thread I had with a poll.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Help-me-blow-some-money-POLL-/5-2079500/

Something else to consider.  A B&T is a  bonefide B&T.  The mp5 will be a clone with zero service record.  B&T has service records.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am in same boat.  I think APC9 is a better pcc all around.  GHM9 runner up. but the mp5 is pop-cultureiffic.  Alot of reviews of the apc9 flat out tell you it's better than an mp5 in terms of a functional weapon. mp5 is very outdated.  most people will tell you to get an mp5.  Mostly because of the pop-culture effect. here is a thread I had with a poll.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Help-me-blow-some-money-POLL-/5-2079500/

Something else to consider.  A B&T is a  bonefide B&T.  The mp5 will be a clone with zero service record.  B&T has service records.
View Quote
This is a big factor right here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have all three... HK MP5, B&T APC9 and B&T GHM9. With all things considered I would suggest getting a B&T. I love HK firearms the most... I've had a love affair with them that will never end. I do however think that for the money to get a real HK MP5... it is not worth the price difference to the majority of gun collectors/enthusiasts. I personally would never purchase a HK clone because to me I prefer to own the real thing and get to have the pride of ownership that goes with it. I think the real choice you have to make is between the APC9 and the GHM9.

The B&Ts are truly much more modern weapon systems with a lot better ergonomics and you can put in drop in triggers which is amazing. They both offer the same sexy/awesome telescopic stock and almost the exact same features except for integral back up sights (APC9) and threaded barrel (GHM9). It would be great if you could get to handle each of them and that would probably go a long way to help you make your decision. They are almost exactly the same length with the telescopic stock fully extended (APC is around 1/2" shorter) so I don't think length is a factor even though the APC9 is around 2 1/2" shorter with the telescopic stocks in the collapsed position.

I really think it comes down to which one has the looks or features you like best. If I had to pick just one... I think I would go with the APC9 because I love the integral flip up back up sights and the fact that it is even more compact with the telescopic stock collapsed. I can assure you that you can't go wrong either way.

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
APC, do it

Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If you already have the main parts to build the mp5 the answer should be easy enough........... buy the apc9 and then build the mp5 later
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I actually like shooting my Zenith Z5rs more than my APC9 because it's smoother shooting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I actually like shooting my Zenith Z5rs more than my APC9 because it's smoother shooting.
View Quote
You know I keep hearing that the APC9 is just as smooth for a Blowback gun due to the buffer system.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You know I keep hearing that the APC9 is just as smooth for a Blowback gun due to the buffer system.
View Quote
I've had people shoot them back to back and they all agree the Zenith is smoother shooting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I've had people shoot them back to back and they all agree the Zenith is smoother shooting.  
View Quote
The Mp5 is significantly heavier according to their specs. The Mp5 is still 22% heavier than an APC9 with an Aimpoint and vertical grip! I'm curious as to the results if you were to add that much more weight to the APC9.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Mp5 is significantly heavier according to their specs. The Mp5 is still 22% heavier than an APC9 with an Aimpoint and vertical grip! I'm curious as to the results if you were to add that much more weight to the APC9.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I've had people shoot them back to back and they all agree the Zenith is smoother shooting.  
I have both the apc9 and the zenith z5rs it is heavier and shoots about ~10% smoother than the apc9( for reference my mp5 is an SBR and The apc9 currently has a brace, pending stamp). the mp5 is quite a bit larger in size also. I had a zenith z5p befor I sold it to fund the apc9  and would say that is more of a fair comparison to the apc9 then the full size mp5. The apc9 is only an half an inch longer than an mp5k with the stocks folded, and seemed to shoot the same, granted I have not shot a mp5k vs the apc9 in the same session.

I really love my mp5 it's such a classic cool design and growing up watching diehard and all the other 80's & 90's action movies it will always have a place in my heart. However if you want a Duty sub-gun /ppc the apc9 is the better option.

I also think you will pay about the same for the apc9 vs the zenith once you swap the trigger group and other parts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The APC was designed from the ground up as an MP5 replacement.

B&T no longer does the volume of MP5 rebuilding they cut their teeth on.

Classic or contemporary?

Hard decision.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I also own a POF MP5pk and agree it's a better comparison since they're pretty close in size.  However, this version still shoots smoother than my APC 9 and just plain looks cool.  This one gets shot the most and probably my favorite.  I'd like to get my hands on an MPX for comparison too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought an APC 9, it should be delivered to my FFL sometime next week. I can't wait to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Any chance you live near cincinnati Ohio?

I'll let you shot an mp5 clone (zenith z5p).
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any chance you live near cincinnati Ohio?

I'll let you shot an mp5 clone (zenith z5p).
View Quote
I had an MP5 :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#17]
1) The thing with the heavy bullets is only applicable to a true SD- which ports off all the gas before it even accelerates the bullet to a lethal velocity. Is that Omega thing ported like a true SD?

Quoted:

View Quote
LOLOLOLOLLOL!!!

This "Emperor has no clothes" stuff with the "observe the Swiiiiiiss Quality" needs to stop.

Shoot both side by side and tell me that's not a total and complete lie.

APC9 is a dumb blowback gun- a block bolt running inside and extrusion- think "brick in a shoe box-" a Taurus CT-9 clone with a shorter extrusion and shinier paint for $1,600 more.

The only reason the B&T guns can't compete with the Scorpion is because of Swiss labor rates and month long vacations for assembly line monkeys.

MP5 is simply a more advanced operating system, with many advantages and perhaps increased maintenance being the only disadvantage (a block bolt is still a block bolt after 10000000 rounds).

Did MPX offer any real challenge? No. Will CMMG Guard? We will see.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1) The thing with the heavy bullets is only applicable to a true SD- which ports off all the gas before it even accelerates the bullet to a lethal velocity. Is that Omega thing ported like a true SD?

LOLOLOLOLLOL!!!

This "Emperor has no clothes" stuff with the "observe the Swiiiiiiss Quality" needs to stop.

APC9 is a dumb blowback gun- a block bolt running inside and extrusion- think "brick in a shoe box-" a Taurus CT-9 clone with a shorter extrusion and shinier paint for $1,600 more.

The only reason the B&T guns can't compete with the Scorpion is because of Swiss labor rates and month long vacations for assembly line monkeys.

MP5 is simply a more advanced operating system, with many advantages and perhaps increased maintenance being the only disadvantage (a block bolt is still a block bolt after 10000000 rounds).

View Quote
The omega receiver i had was a K barrel, so you could still get the benefits of the supersonic ammo, However if you want to try 158 or 168gr 9mm bullets, they are NOT recommended for the MP5 operating system. This came from people at HKpro forums.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LOLOLOLOLLOL!!!

View Quote
As much as I hate to admit it you're absolutely correct.  If I could go back I wish I would've purchased another MP5 clone instead of the APC9.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The other option is a Tavor 9mm, atleast I could shoot it in PCC without modifications to it, cheaper mags too and still as short as a SBR.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LOLOLOLOLLOL!!!

View Quote
I just about spit my coffee out when reading some of this drivel. I love the MP5 too... I know what an amazing gun it is... I have the real thing. But to insinuate the APC9 is nothing more than a Taurus clone... man you need to step away from the crack pipe. I am sick to death of hearing only about the "smoothness" of this or that PCC. There are sooooo many more factors to compare than just the smoothness of a PCC... way too many to try and list them all. I suspect many on here who are doing a lot of the comparing have never even owned or own all of the PCCs they are talking about.

Each firearm has it's own unique set of traits/characteristics that create the overall experience of shooting and owning it. Yes the MP5 is very smooth... but it is also much heavier and has horrible ergonomics when compared to the extremely modern APC9. I'm not trying to take anything away from the MP5... I'm a huge fan girl... but you have to consider the bigger picture.

To hear you compare the Scorpion and B&T gives me a pretty good laugh also. I'd take a B&T GHM9 ALL DAY LONG over any scorpion and I've owned both versions (still own one unfortunately). I think the scorpion is a great little gun for it's price point compared to many PCCs but not so much when compared to the GHM9. I've spent plenty of money trying to upgrade my Scorpion but it will never be as good as the GHM9 IMHO. No matter how much I spend on it... that frog ain't ever gonna turn into no prince.

MPX... don't even get me started on this one. I traded mine within a week of getting the APC9. The only thing good about the MPX was the magazines. The fit and finish of the MPX was abysmal... the charging handle flopped around like crazy and the suppressed blow back was horrible.

You know most Kalashnikov type fan boys I know have the exact same attitude about almost all higher end/more expensive firearms. I say go be poor somewhere else and take that "Emperor has no clothes" crap with you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought an X95 in 9mm instead, much more versatile..cheaper mags, Love bullpups anyway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought an X95 in 9mm instead, much more versatile..cheaper mags, Love bullpups anyway.
View Quote
Pics, do you have them?

I've been thinking about the APC9 and came back to this thread. I still want one, when I'm finished paying for the guns I bought in 2017 this will be my next and 'last' gun purchase.
I'm always saying last gun purchase btw.

Bishop3
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pics, do you have them?

I've been thinking about the APC9 and came back to this thread. I still want one, when I'm finished paying for the guns I bought in 2017 this will be my next and 'last' gun purchase.
I'm always saying last gun purchase btw.

Bishop3
View Quote
It will be here wed/Thursday.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The omega receiver i had was a K barrel, so you could still get the benefits of the supersonic ammo, However if you want to try 158 or 168gr 9mm bullets, they are NOT recommended for the MP5 operating system. This came from people at HKpro forums.
View Quote
Just get a #28 locking piece and blaze on.

HKPro members don't know anything about guns. When they "shoot" their guns it usually means with a camera under special lighting and with an arrangement of 80's junk around them. IF they happen to fire 50 rounds in a year, they cram feeler gauges in before and after and make lengthy posts about it on the board... which keeps them busy for the next 2-3 years until it's time to shoot another 50 rounds.

The goofy ported barrel that dumps all the gas before adequately accelerating the round is the main reason why we don't shoot heavy bullets in the SD.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As much as I hate to admit it you're absolutely correct.  If I could go back I wish I would've purchased another MP5 clone instead of the APC9.
View Quote
It's absolutely true.

For whatever reason, people just lie to each other about these guns- and not on the internet... I'm talking eyeball to eyeball.

Somebody will bust out with something that says, "B&T" on the side and the rational man will be like, "Oh, nice... someone is making a TEC-9 clone with a LRBHO..." and dudes will be like "TEC-9 CLONE?!?! WHAT??? Bruh... feeeeeeell the Swiiiiiiiss QUALITY!"

And I'm just like, "Ummm... looks like a piece of crap to me... Also, it's not exactly in dispute that this is a TEC-9 Clone... I mean... it IS a TEC-9 clone..."

It is both hilarious and absurd.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

HKPro members don't know anything about guns. When they "shoot" their guns it usually means with a camera under special lighting and with an arrangement of 80's junk around them. IF they happen to fire 50 rounds in a year, they cram feeler gauges in before and after and make lengthy posts about it on the board... which keeps them busy for the next 2-3 years until it's time to shoot another 50 rounds.

The goofy ported barrel that dumps all the gas before adequately accelerating the round is the main reason why we don't shoot heavy bullets in the SD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol I thought this was the tech forum.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's absolutely true.

For whatever reason, people just lie to each other about these guns- and not on the internet... I'm talking eyeball to eyeball.

Somebody will bust out with something that says, "B&T" on the side and the rational man will be like, "Oh, nice... someone is making a TEC-9 clone with a LRBHO..." and dudes will be like "TEC-9 CLONE?!?! WHAT??? Bruh... feeeeeeell the Swiiiiiiiss QUALITY!"

And I'm just like, "Ummm... looks like a piece of crap to me... Also, it's not exactly in dispute that this is a TEC-9 Clone... I mean... it IS a TEC-9 clone..."

It is both hilarious and absurd.
View Quote
LOL, I'm glad that there's someone else out there that shares my opinion on this matter. All of these cobbled together B&T blow back contraptions are ugly as balls with the exception of the TP9. I'd like a TP.

Looks like the B&T designers are big Minecraft fans...
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#29]
HK slap > everything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top