Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/24/2020 9:00:44 AM EDT
Anyone have a TOPs Wild Pig knife?  Opinions on this blade?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely a stabber! What would you specifically like to know about it?

The first thing you should know is ditch the factory sheath quick. It will cause surface rust on your brand new knife.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely a stabber! What would you specifically like to know about it?
View Quote

It sure is. When I bought mine I used the tip to take a splinter out of my finger. That's how stabby-pointy it is. It's a nice hunk of blade, just make sure that you keep the edge oiled as tool steel will rust/patina quick and don't keep it in the leather sheath. I'm happy with mine. I;d like to find the CIA Agent? I think it is. Pretty much the same thing but grey finish.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a very sharp, tough knife. Keep it well oiled and DO NOT leave it in it's leather sheath for an extended amount of time.
It will rust.
Or you can buy a kydex sheath after market.  

I got mine and thought nothing about it and stuck it in the leather sheath that came with it and didn't touch it for 2 weeks.
The next time i looked at it the blade was pitted with rust freckles. I took the scales off, soaked it in Naval Jelly and scrubbed it down with scotch brite.

TOPS made a "night" version with all black scales and kydex sheath but that model has been discontinued.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
After the surface rust started I removed the incredibly stubborn finish and forced a patina on it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m thinking that’s a TOPs knife only fault ..... they rust easy. Huh?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have three TOPS, the Wild Pig Hunter is the only one that rusted. The Tahoma Field Knife, and Fieldcraft have had no problems.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have three TOPS, the Wild Pig Hunter is the only one that rusted. The Tahoma Field Knife, and Fieldcraft have had no problems.
View Quote

Did you keep any of them in the provided leather sheaths?

I believe the tanning salts in the leather are the cause of the rust. I lubed mine well and it still rusted.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The WPH is the only one that came in a leather sheath. I tossed it quick and made a new one for it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top