Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2018 5:36:05 PM EDT
Sometimes I just get tired of humping around a 16" AR with a KAC PVS26 and day scope, so I've had an older ITT dual double A battery PVS14 sitting around so I want to add it behind an Aimpoint T-1 via a LaRue LT670 on an MK18 with 10.3" barrel.

Anyone see an issue with the older 14's doing this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Per the ITT original patent, the PVS-14 was mentioned OK on a 5.56.  Just don't loose that stupid dual batt cap!

Edit, Plus those Omni IV's (my guess on your system) were the toughest shock resilient tubes out there.
View Quote
Thanks Vic.

Losing the battery cap, that is why I have extra's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Per the ITT original patent, the PVS-14 was mentioned OK on a 5.56.  Just don't loose that stupid dual batt cap!

Edit, Plus those Omni IV's (my guess on your system) were the toughest shock resilient tubes out there.
View Quote
+1. Those systems were specifically designed to be mounted on top of AR15's. Way back before the whole filmless problem, that was anticipated to be a common way for soldiers to use them. Turns out it never was, but civilians found it a good solution nonetheless.

But I never knew about the caps... Are they not available as spares any longer?

David
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
+1. Those systems were specifically designed to be mounted on top of AR15's. Way back before the whole filmless problem, that was anticipated to be a common way for soldiers to use them. Turns out it never was, but civilians found it a good solution nonetheless.

David
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David
You can acquire them, but fuck they suck.

I’m thinking about buying the single battery housing and trying to convert it myself (I’ve got zero experience doing much with internals or electronics).
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

David
View Quote
ebay from $10-30
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]
So I just tried out the T-1 with the PVS14 with 3x lens and it sucked! It was like a mirage, sometimes almost seeing double. It left me wondering what the heck was going on. FYI I have a very light script for being near sighted but no other eye issues.

Now I have used a few a PVS14's behind day scopes throughout the years including this particular 14, and the only one that I ever had an issue with was when it was behind an old Leupold 2-7x compact on my 22 rifle. The problem there was when you zoomed passed 5x the center of the image became blurry. Obviously better glass would help to eliminate this.

Is the glass of the Aimpoint T-1 less than stellar, so when coupled with a 14 3x lens becomes totally useless? When I removed the 3x lens from the 14 the image was dramatically better but without the zoom it is useless to me. I know RD's like this are coupled with magnifiers for day time use all the time so it leaves me wondering what is happening. Is the glass of the 3x PVS14 much better than the glass on the 3x day magnifiers thus showing the inferior glass in the T-1?

Why can't someone just make a collimated PVS14 without having to add all of that other crap to it aka Zero Lens.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately the issue with the T1 and magnification is not unique to the NV world, happens with day magnifiers too.  I've done the same thing with the same results.  Sold my T1S years ago, Holosun doesn't do that LOL.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unfortunately the issue with the T1 and magnification is not unique to the NV world, happens with day magnifiers too.  I've done the same thing with the same results.  Sold my T1S years ago, Holosun doesn't do that LOL.
View Quote
Can you recommend a Holosun that is NV compatible. I know SkyPup used an Eotech with a 3x magnifier with good results.

I was so hoping that the T-1 and the 14 w/3x was going to be the answer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why can't someone just make a collimated PVS14 without having to add all of that other crap to it aka Zero Lens.
View Quote
The PVS-14 is collimated. I think you mean Boresighted.

It's not that difficult to make a PVS-14 that's boresighted, but the lenses aren't exactly optimal so you won't get perfect repeatability on all weapons, and you'd probably pay $1000 per housing extra for someone to boresight it in the first place.

But no one wants to pay $1000 more for a PVS-14 that is, most of the time, just a PVS-14.

David
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Had less than the best of luck with some red dots thru NV. The front optical surface is coated to be reflective to red and as a consequence the coatings don't necessarily transmit near IR very well. Optimally, the coating is designed with a reflective notch around the desired red wavelength but usually it's cheaper to just make a shortpass filter and that would cut off a lot of NIR energy as well. Not a good match for NV that sees best in red and NIR.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Ideally, you want the NV lens to "see around" the red-dot.

So ideally something like an aimpoint, or something without much solid material on top, and then lift the scope as high as you can while still maintaining the image of the reticle.

You need to make sure you have a really good system too, with parallax at least out to 100m, ideally at infinity, but 100m is OK.

Also, there are dedicated systems for this - Armasight sell one that, while it can be used without optics, it's really designed for optics to support both day and night use.

David
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok guys I picked up an Eotech EXPS 3-0 and just got as chance to mount the 14 w/ 3x magifier lens behind it. Very happy with the view, very clear unlike the T-1 that I had previously wrote about, but something has me wondering.

While looking at the Eotech without the 14 behind it the center dot of the reticle appears fine, nice dot, but when I put the 14 with 3x magnifier on the center dot appears to be a reversed comma. Is this an inherent issue with the Eotechs or is this just noticeable because it is under NV or under magnification.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top