Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2020 6:13:44 PM EDT
Ok sifting through the mounds of information on her about plate carriers and shoot me if this has been covered a million times already but..............

What are the top 3 plate carriers?  I'm seriously leaning toward a Crye Precision JPC 2.0

I'm currently using a Condor quick release vest with Safariland soft armor.  The load out consists of double pistol mag Kywi pouch, Taco Radio pouch, Taco handcuff pouch, Kydex Axon case, Cat-T pouch and admin pouch.  

I want to switch out to hard plates for rifle protection on a light weight plate carrier.  the plan is to swap out the taco pouches to Kydex pouches and add a medical pouch and rifle mag pouches.

I've been scouring the plate carrier picture thread and have seen a bunch great setups but am curious what is the top three carriers to be looking at.  

ETA: The carrier needs to be one that I can take on and off easily. With my work I have to be able to get my carrier on quickly from inside a car before I get out.  My Condor is currently setup with the Blaze Defense Cobra buckles which work great for taking it on and off quickly.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
JPC is definitely up there. I love mine.

There's also the Mayflower, Spiritus systems, LBT, shellback banshee, strandhogg, esstac, and more.

What features are you looking for?

Edit: saw your edit. First Spear tubes are a great on/off system. Saber Solutions also has a kit than can convert the JPC 1&2 to use tubes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
JPC 2.0 is a fantastic carrier but for getting something on quickly in a car first spear tube system may be what your looking for. https://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
JPC 2.0 is a fantastic carrier but for getting something on quickly in a car first spear tube system may be what your looking for. https://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm
View Quote

I had the tubes system from Blaze Defense and they were complete shit.  If you didn't have it lined up perfectly there was no getting that thing together.  There is more often than not that I have to grab my gear and don it on the run after someone so fiddle fucking with the tubes system was an instant no go.  

I love the cobra buckle system I'm using now.  I say the other setup from AWC and it looks promising if the Blaze system doesn't work out.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
SKD PIG is the shit!  Comfortable...  No plate sag...  Ingenuity is off the charts.  

(At least that's what their website says.  Mine went down with my fishing boat in Lake Metonga... )  
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My T3 Geronimo quad release (1000D) is the nicest carrier I have personally seen, it's the one on the right. I painted it and added some ghillie camo. Having buckles makes it really easy and consistent to put on and take off. The central lever that releases all four buckles makes removing it very fast, if you're in a hurry. The T3 G2S is a more simple version of the Geronimo quad release, it's the one on the left. It uses side straps rather than the cummerbund but still uses buckles. I'm a fan of buckles, they're simple and quick to use, no sense making things more complicated than they need to be, IMO. The plastic buckles used on both carriers are high quality and lighter than Cobra buckles. I usually only unbuckle the bottom right buckle of either carrier when removing or putting them on and it only takes a couple seconds either way. I have the straps set to a certain length with Velcro so there is no need to adjust them.
Both carriers are very comfortable, mostly due to the shoulder straps I think. There are many carriers that are well made, comfortable and are going to be perfect for different people and different situations. The two carriers below are perfect for me.
I believe T3 made/makes some of Shellbacks carriers as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure about top three, so much of it is subjectice based on needs.

You can't go wrong with Crye, Ferro Concepts, Spiritus, First Spear, or TYR. I'm almost certainly missing some good ones.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Goback:

I had the tubes system from Blaze Defense and they were complete shit.  If you didn't have it lined up perfectly there was no getting that thing together.  There is more often than not that I have to grab my gear and don it on the run after someone so fiddle fucking with the tubes system was an instant no go.  

I love the cobra buckle system I'm using now.  I say the other setup from AWC and it looks promising if the Blaze system doesn't work out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
JPC 2.0 is a fantastic carrier but for getting something on quickly in a car first spear tube system may be what your looking for. https://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-STT-Plate-Carrier-SKD-Exclusive-p/fsr.550.htm

I had the tubes system from Blaze Defense and they were complete shit.  If you didn't have it lined up perfectly there was no getting that thing together.  There is more often than not that I have to grab my gear and don it on the run after someone so fiddle fucking with the tubes system was an instant no go.  

I love the cobra buckle system I'm using now.  I say the other setup from AWC and it looks promising if the Blaze system doesn't work out.

That makes sense.  Honestly that's the first negative thing I have heard about first spear tubes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]

That makes sense.  Honestly that's the first negative thing I have heard about first spear tubes.
View Quote

The best way I can describe the tubes system is if put you best on in a sterile / static location with no rush then it’s a great system. But if you are running and trying to get it on quick, forget about it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Ferro Slickster. Can't beat the cummerbund.

Get a Mayflower quad and some swiftclips.

Some lvl4 or lvl 3+ plates. Done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Stretchman:
Ferro Slickster. Can't beat the cummerbund. 

Get a Mayflower quad and some swiftclips. 

Some lvl4 or lvl 3+ plates. Done.
View Quote

Ferro absolutely makes top-notch gear.  I grabbed one of their elastic cummerbunds awhile back and never want to go back to anything else.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it is really hard to beat the JPC plate carriers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, Eagle offering is superior.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I was wanting a spiritus, then ferro, the crye, now I'm waiting for an esstac.

Pretty much all of the are put if stock
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
A lot of people talk about the JPC, the one thing to consider is what your load will look like.

If you're only planning to sport the minimum and you have lightweight plates, the JPC will work well. If you want to load up your PC with 6 mags, radio, ifak, dump pouch, level IV (or steel) plates, etc., the JPC is probably not going to be fun to wear for long. You will want to look at systems that are better designed for load distribution.

So I can't really make a recommendation for you because I'd need to know a lot more about what your rig would look like, what pouches, how many mags, what plates, etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]
you might want to check out the agilite k19 carrier

K19
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Love my JPC 2.0. Just wish the shoulder straps werent so wide.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
All of the name brands are going to be good to go. It’s more if what works for you type of thing.

I bought the Banshee 2.0 elite because it had features i was looking for and the original Banshee was so good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
you might want to check out the agilite k19 carrier

K19
View Quote

That looks legit. Agilite makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SethP:
A lot of people talk about the JPC, the one thing to consider is what your load will look like.

If you're only planning to sport the minimum and you have lightweight plates, the JPC will work well. If you want to load up your PC with 6 mags, radio, ifak, dump pouch, level IV (or steel) plates, etc., the JPC is probably not going to be fun to wear for long. You will want to look at systems that are better designed for load distribution.

So I can't really make a recommendation for you because I'd need to know a lot more about what your rig would look like, what pouches, how many mags, what plates, etc.
View Quote

I listed the pouches I'm going with in my original post but what I'm going to put on it are:

2 handcuffs cases
radio pouch (may go with the Safariland Mast but undecided)
double pistol mag pouch
rifle mag pouch
Ifak
body cam
admin pouch

The plates I'm looking at are the RMA Armament III+
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
you might want to check out the agilite k19 carrier

K19
View Quote

That K19 is very nice but the tubes system is a deal breaker for me.  I cannot stand that system.  Now the K5 looks like a nice PC
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File
I use the K5 for work and used a JPC for years before that.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:43:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Jpc 2.0

Slickster

Pig

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Timbo:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123815/0F5ED8B2-1E42-4390-A8BB-2CAEE8D7261B_jpe-1400214.JPGI use the K5 for work and used a JPC for years before that. 

View Quote

What do you think of the K5? Any complaints on it?  Curious what made you change from the JPC?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Been using a JPC 2.0 at work for almost 2 years now.  Super comfy.  I love it.

1 year of that was with a relatively light load out.  2 cuffs, radio, spare pistol mag, Taser, multi-tool, flashlight, IFAK, and TQ.

Past year has been 6 M4 mags, cuffs, pistol mag, flashlight, multi-tool, gloves, radio, IFAK, TQ, and ASP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I really like my JPC 2.0, upgraded to the Spiritus molle tubescummerbund and Axl velcro adapters.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ferro absolutely makes top-notch gear.  I grabbed one of their elastic cummerbunds awhile back and never want to go back to anything else.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ferro Slickster. Can't beat the cummerbund.

Get a Mayflower quad and some swiftclips.

Some lvl4 or lvl 3+ plates. Done.

Love my Slickster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the hive have any experience with the ICE carrier?

https://www.qoreperformance.com/products/ice

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
https://www.esstac.com/product-page/daeodon-light-ass
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm trying to get my hands on one of the lbt 6094 g3's. I saw one in the wild and got to play with it and I'm in love.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What do you think of the K5? Any complaints on it?  Curious what made you change from the JPC?
View Quote
The K5 feels more robust than the JPC. However, both serve different roles.

The JPC is really meant for mobility and a minimalist loadout. With my Hesco 4401's, it wasn't very comfy without the aid of shoulder pads.

The K5 has built in pads, a unique design for weight distribution, and hugs my plates better than the JPC.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Timbo:
The K5 feels more robust than the JPC. However, both serve different roles. 

The JPC is really meant for mobility and a minimalist loadout. With my Hesco 4401's, it wasn't very comfy without the aid of shoulder pads. 

The K5 has built in pads, a unique design for weight distribution, and hugs my plates better than the JPC. 
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  The more I read about both the more I am leaning toward a more robust carrier.  

I'm also still looking for plates.  The RMA III+ seem to be the best bang for the buck so far
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Esstac Daeodon Light
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
Does the hive have any experience with the ICE carrier?

https://www.qoreperformance.com/products/ice

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/G0300339-Ice_MultiCam_29c3f1d6-b8b8-4c5a-1400606.JPG
View Quote

Never heard of this PC but looking at the picture is that the plate that's exposed at the bottom?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Im really liking my slickster the cummerbund alone is awesome you can hold up to 4 m4 mags on either side , i use my right side for tourniquet and ifak. On the left i have 2 mags and my radio in the back slot . The front is all velcro so if you go with a simple three mag shingle with hook and loop on the front you dont even need to lift your chest rig just attach to the front of the shingle. The fcpc v5 is built for a larger load out with a cobra buckle qd on the shoulder
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#35]
from what I have seen here I would say esstac, Ferro, and maybe jpc are the top 3. I would have bought an esstac but they were hard to get before the covid panic and they shut down production due to covid. not interested in gucci prices crye stuff. and the ferro was a little TOO low profile for my taste.

Ended up getting a Velocity sys, LEPC for a under 200 new and I want to swap the cummerbund to a cobra style.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Spiritus Systems 119 Overt is awesome.
-Has Tubes Cummerbund
-Has Molle
-Can accept front placard of chest rig attachment
-Has rear panel zipper attachment.

I also like my JPC 2.0. I think overall the Spiritus is way more customizable. Can post pictures of both if needed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered the Agilite K5. Hopefully it does not take too long to get here. Damn this Covid bullshit.

Still need to find a JPC for testing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered the Agilite K5. Hopefully it does not take too long to get here. Damn this Covid bullshit. 
View Quote

Let us know your thoughts when it comes in. For some reason the K5 kind of intrigues me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mattjedi:

Let us know your thoughts when it comes in. For some reason the K5 kind of intrigues me. 
View Quote

Will do. Hoping the shipping doesn’t take months to get here from overseas.  Received an email yesterday that it has already been shipped and left their facility so fingers crossed it doesn’t get lost in the international sorting facility like my workout clothes have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top