Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2018 6:08:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting consideration, but does make a good comparison.  I've never had issues with any of my Benchmades or ZTs, but I do hate the fact that a simple issue should result in a having to send it back for repairs when I could do some basic maintenance on my own (especially when you're working over in Afghanistan).  I really think CRKT really hit the nail on the head with their new tool-less take down series:

Not everybody needs to take their blade apart, but when you do...simplicity is nice.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep I switched over to ZT when my Axis spring broke and Benchmade told me I had to send in my 551 to get it fixed.  I already had the knife apart and broken spring taken out but they refuse to send out Axis springs.  Ill eventually send in the knife but I now have a framelock 0630 that is my edc.  I also have a 0620 but for utilitarian duties I much prefer a non tanto blade.

I really appreciate the straight forwardness and simplicity of a framelock in general and ZT does a damn good job at producing them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My only ZT; the thing is a tank.

DSC_0301-ZT566BW by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no way I’d trust a liner or frame lock over and Axis lock.

To each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no way I’d trust a liner or frame lock over and Axis lock.

To each his own I guess.
View Quote
Based on experience?  All folding locks will fail and while I would prefer a lock-back, plunge, or axis lock to a liner lock, a quality frame lock (like Sebenza, ZT, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc.) are pretty damn reliable and can take plenty of "normal" hard-use.  Hell, I've carried a Spyderco Military (and Para-Military) with their liner lock for years...in jungles, deserts, and the lovely environment of combat with zero issues. If you start talking about spine-whacking, that's not what I would consider normal use.  While I agree that the Axis lock is well proven and tough, the point is about disassembly for maintenance.  I don't break my knives down all the way, but I can understand the OP's reasoning; the frame lock is far simpler than the Axis lock...IF, that's something you're concerned about.

Unless you start talking mega folders, the locking mechanism just have to be reliable for normal use...

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top