Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2021 6:54:41 PM EDT
I'm new to Thompsons and just picked up a new AO 1927A1. I noticed the fit between the frame and the upper receiver is pretty loose and wanted to find out if this is normal. When holding it, I can feel the frame and the receiver clunking into each other if I just move it slightly. If I twist or move it from left to right you can see the gap between the frame and receiver get larger and smaller.

Below are pics of how much the gap changes between the frame & receiver when slightly twisting the rifle. Is this normal?

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have an M1A1 that did that. Drive me whacky. One of the dealers fixed it did me. Then I bought some parts kits. And noticed no 2 were dimensionally the same. Lots better QC  nowadays than in WW2. But they are cool.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 27 sbr I bought back in '08, pretty sure it's normal, I'll dig it out of the safe and check.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya that’s normal. Look please do not.  Do not  alter magazine ok alter the magazine catch.  Your Thompson will run much better than screwing up magazines.  Go to machinegunboard. They will have all the info you need to do this mod.
http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a couple of Taiwan drums from Numrich, they work great, don't have to be altered either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a legit Colt mfg.1921AC machinegun and it is just as loosy-goosy as you describe OP. It used to bug me until a true TSMG expert explained that the internal parts have to be allowed to work together without the upper and lower receivers adding a binding force to the geometry.

Mine still hums along after 100 years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya that’s normal. Look please do not.  Do not  alter magazine ok alter the magazine catch.  Your Thompson will run much better than screwing up magazines.  Go to machinegunboard. They will have all the info you need to do this mod.
http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127394/33561609-9E14-4FE1-8913-620C0BB7E492_jpe-1824871.JPG
View Quote

That is beautiful! I’d love to build a M1928A1 SBR like that. The full auto flavor is a tad out of my price range.

I sold all my surplus TSMG mags back during the Obama years and don’t want to try accumulating them again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I purchase a 1928 lower and did the mod myself.. Ya the full auto stiff is out my price range also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top