Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 6:25:29 AM EDT
So, I'm planning on ordering a Winkler hawk (longer wait-times, but good .mil discount); looking hard a the Sayoc RnD (no front spike).  While marcata is likely the toughest handle material, I'm also considering their maple or walnut; neither are treated, so they would be less durable than micarta.  From all my research, maple is harder than walnut (it's also been used for baseball bats), so I would lean more toward maple for a wood handle.  Aside from the aesthetics of a wood handle, they are also lighter than micarta.  Just curious to see what the ARFCOM blade-crowd thinks...

Maple:

Micarta:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool 'hawk! Appears to be full-tang construction, so how much stress is there on the scales (assume you're not going to be throwing it)? Ash is popular around here for ax handles and probably what I'd use for a traditionally constructed 'hawk, but it's pretty plain-Jane wood. I'm partial to Desert Ironwood (very hard and dense, doesn't even float) for knife scales, but a nice curly Maple looks great, too. With the right finish, I'd think it would hold up nicely. JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
While I really prefer wood from an ecstatic point of view, the micarta is likely the way to go if you really plan on beating on it.  Better gripping, tougher material and not effected by the elements would be just a few reasons.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen broken scales on a Winkler facebook group, wood and micarta both iirc.  I don't know if there's anything that will stand up to an unlucky strike on the scale at just the right angle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It's very plain Jane but hickory has interlocking grain, splinters and doesn't break clean like alot of woods.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Curly maple for scales like that!

Aesthetically, the nicest.
It should hold up very well. I have an antique Woodsman's Pal with curly maple scales and a sheet steel scabbard that has a very dark patina but still shows the figure.

Unless you are throwing hawks and hit it with another, it should last

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Given the choices available, I'd go with the maple. Hickory is my favorite for tool handles.

ETA: Just occurred to me that the maple handle hawk would also match my ax....

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, I'm planning on ordering a Winkler hawk (longer wait-times, but good .mil discount); looking hard a the Sayoc RnD (no front spike).  While marcata is likely the toughest handle material, I'm also considering their maple or walnut; neither are treated, so they would be less durable than micarta.  From all my research, maple is harder than walnut (it's also been used for baseball bats), so I would lean more toward maple for a wood handle.  Aside from the aesthetics of a wood handle, they are also lighter than micarta.  Just curious to see what the ARFCOM blade-crowd thinks...

Maple:
https://s.yimg.com/aah/knifeart/winkler-sayoc-rnd-full-size-front-spike-caswell-and-maple-hawk-108.jpg

Micarta:
https://s.yimg.com/aah/knifeart/winkler-knives-ii-sayoc-rnd-axe-black-caswell-finish-micarta-handle-92.jpg

ROCK6
View Quote

Of the ones I've handled at SHOT, the signature Winkler handle is the one that uses recycled car tires / horse stall matts (some type of sturdy machined rubber.)

Those grips are fantastic and really unique; thats what I'd get.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going with maple  It won't be used to breach steel doors or chop through cinder blocks, but I'll do some field work with it.  I figure if the maple doesn't hold up, I'll have them replaced with micarta.  It's a 12-16 week wait, but I get a healthy .mil discount.

I do have the first generation Spyderco Szabo hawk and the CRKT Kangee which have the full tang and scales almost to the head.  My Kangee (I think G10 handles) have chipped on some rough use, so it's very much a possibility.  I may just tape around the handle just a few inches below the head, but I suspect it will get nicked and dinged up some...just adds character!

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top