Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2022 10:47:09 PM EDT
Ordered two cans through silencershop to be sent to my local dealer.
Spent over an hour trying to scan my left hand, wasn't able to get the prints to go through.
Going to attempt it again on Tuesday, any tips on getting them to actually accept them?
I have really poor prints, had them done at the sheriffs office she had them done in 10 mins - but said they're really poor and pushed through whatever would come over.
It doesn't seem like the silencershop software will let you do that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Put some lotion on your hands/fingertips a little bit before you try. Helped me when doing Live Scan prints.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a bottle of Corn Huskers Lotion, usually a grocery store item. Plumps the fingers up decent enough to help with the reading. Give it a few minutes to work before trying it on the scanner
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They had me wet my hands slightly after having some problems getting the full print.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Rub your fingers in the crease of your nose.

Works a treat at the kiosk.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a problem with my right pinky finger. I got a "Good" on 9 other fingers, but must have spent 45 minutes trying to get a "Good" on that pinky finger. Tried everything and finally accepted it with a "Fair". Hope that will be accepted...
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a problem with my right pinky finger. I got a "Good" on 9 other fingers, but must have spent 45 minutes trying to get a "Good" on that pinky finger. Tried everything and finally accepted it with a "Fair". Hope that will be accepted...
View Quote

Yeah, I had a couple that were just "fair", everything went thru though so guess it wasn't that big of a deal
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I had a couple that were just "fair", everything went thru though so guess it wasn't that big of a deal
View Quote

Good to hear!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get a bottle of Corn Huskers Lotion, usually a grocery store item. Plumps the fingers up decent enough to help with the reading. Give it a few minutes to work before trying it on the scanner
View Quote

The SOT actually had a bottle of that.
We tried that as well. Didn't do the trick sadly.

I actually bought a bottle myself to use hoping it would help.

Bought a bottle of this, it will arrive Tuesday -
https://www.hittmarking.com/products/4oz-live-scan-fingerprint-ridge-builder

Pray for me boys.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
We use a similar scanner at work (CBP)…

Few tips.

-Sometimes, less pressure gives better quality. We always get people slamming their hands down on the scanners when they do it themselves (I prefer rolling for people since I will get it right). I tell most people just to relax and look at something else besides the screen, because when they try to help… it never helps.

-If your prints aren’t showing up… first thing is to clean the scanner. Personally, I’d do it first just because people are dirty (sorry, people… it’s true). Alcohol wipes work best, but make sure to fan the screen so it dries completely before using.

-Still not showing up… are your hands cold that you feel like a corpse? Like mentioned to rub your nose, I suggest the back of your neck. Or put your hands under your armpits… not inside your shirt to get deodorant on it, but just to warm them up.

-Still problems? If it is the same scanner, there is a metal bar below the lower part of the screen. That’s a ground, which has to have contact to allow the screen to capture your prints. This is also a huge issue with rolls. I will take the off hand and touch that metal while rolling… since it doesn’t turn off the scanner in the process as your finger lifts away.

-Rolls… make sure the print doesn’t shift or drag on the screen. It will not capture correctly. When I roll, I start on the outer edge and roll in (either hand, edge near the pinky, and roll towards the thumb). If you have an issue with your arm/wrist, try the opposite. Another option would be to stand perpendicular to the scanner with your arm out… and allow your shoulder/elbow to rotate with the roll. Again, make sure you are in contact with the ground.

-With the roll procedure, you need an edge of the print to start off with. Again, if it is a similar scanner/program, you’ll hear a beep that the roll has started. Slowly roll the print to the opposite side. Once you get all the characteristics of the print (arch, loop, whorl), you’ll hear a second beep. Lift the finger off the scanner. It should have got the print… but sometimes an odd angle or “smudging” will cause the scan to start over… making the second beep another first. Again if it is the same program, you’ll see a red bar on the first beep… and then a green bar when the second beep.

-Corn Huskers… I never had good experiences with it. Mainly because people decide that more will do better, but those I know who use it regularly… they use as little as possible. We have bottles of that stuff at work, and some senior officers don’t think we’ve ever replaced them. I recommend going to the bathroom and washing with soap/water… then fully drying them. With COVID, I’ve seen good use with hand sanitizer… but again, let your hand dry completely before scanning.

-If none of that works, find an employee and ask for help. Electronic fingerprint scanners aren’t new, and you might get lucky and find an employee that used them in other employment (L/E, for example).
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#12]
mine started off a little weak and they had lotion there for it, just a little of that and the rest were perfect
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We use a similar scanner at work (CBP)…

Few tips.

-Sometimes, less pressure gives better quality. We always get people slamming their hands down on the scanners when they do it themselves (I prefer rolling for people since I will get it right). I tell most people just to relax and look at something else besides the screen, because when they try to help… it never helps.

-If your prints aren’t showing up… first thing is to clean the scanner. Personally, I’d do it first just because people are dirty (sorry, people… it’s true). Alcohol wipes work best, but make sure to fan the screen so it dries completely before using.

-Still not showing up… are your hands cold that you feel like a corpse? Like mentioned to rub your nose, I suggest the back of your neck. Or put your hands under your armpits… not inside your shirt to get deodorant on it, but just to warm them up.

-Still problems? If it is the same scanner, there is a metal bar below the lower part of the screen. That’s a ground, which has to have contact to allow the screen to capture your prints. This is also a huge issue with rolls. I will take the off hand and touch that metal while rolling… since it doesn’t turn off the scanner in the process as your finger lifts away.

-Rolls… make sure the print doesn’t shift or drag on the screen. It will not capture correctly. When I roll, I start on the outer edge and roll in (either hand, edge near the pinky, and roll towards the thumb). If you have an issue with your arm/wrist, try the opposite. Another option would be to stand perpendicular to the scanner with your arm out… and allow your shoulder/elbow to rotate with the roll. Again, make sure you are in contact with the ground.

-With the roll procedure, you need an edge of the print to start off with. Again, if it is a similar scanner/program, you’ll hear a beep that the roll has started. Slowly roll the print to the opposite side. Once you get all the characteristics of the print (arch, loop, whorl), you’ll hear a second beep. Lift the finger off the scanner. It should have got the print… but sometimes an odd angle or “smudging” will cause the scan to start over… making the second beep another first. Again if it is the same program, you’ll see a red bar on the first beep… and then a green bar when the second beep.

-Corn Huskers… I never had good experiences with it. Mainly because people decide that more will do better, but those I know who use it regularly… they use as little as possible. We have bottles of that stuff at work, and some senior officers don’t think we’ve ever replaced them. I recommend going to the bathroom and washing with soap/water… then fully drying them. With COVID, I’ve seen good use with hand sanitizer… but again, let your hand dry completely before scanning.

-If none of that works, find an employee and ask for help. Electronic fingerprint scanners aren’t new, and you might get lucky and find an employee that used them in other employment (L/E, for example).
View Quote

Oh boy, I've tried little pressure a lot of pressure - no pressure lol. Everything in-between. Zero luck with the Silencershop software.

He cleaned the scanner between every attempt.

No, it's quite warm here - no issue with hands being cold (Florida)

Couldn't even get to the roll. It won't take the first four fingers.

Tried everything from corn huskers, to baby wipes to sanitizer. The Silencershop software won't accept the prints.

Sadly my SOT is a one man show, no one else to scan them. (The Sheriffs office just did my prints as well, she said they're some of the worst shes seen)

I just bought this -> https://tritechforensics.com/fingerprint-ridge-builder/

It made the prints appear WAY better. But for whatever reason, the software won't accept them.

He used his livescan software (Which mind you is exactly the same as the silencershop one) and he was able to get good/poor prints.
So he was able to generate an EFT file. He's going to contact silencershop and see if he can send that to them.

Silencershop software has no way to pass crap prints even, keeps demanding a rescan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
OP.......have you had ink prints turn out acceptable?
If so, mail those to SS and they'll scan them in.

I have a kiosk and about one in ten requires Jergens Lotion to get a decent print.
In six years I've had four customers unable to get past the first four finger slap.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP.......have you had ink prints turn out acceptable?
If so, mail those to SS and they'll scan them in.

I have a kiosk and about one in ten requires Jergens Lotion to get a decent print.
In six years I've had four customers unable to get past the first four finger slap.
View Quote

I haven't had ink done in years.
The same SOT was able to get the prints in livescan. (same software as silencershop)

Sadly silencershop has no way to upload the EFT file.

Plan Z in this saga is going to be printing them and mailing them in.

I'll jergen is up when I go to pick up my rattler and try again. If it doesn't work I'll mail them in.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright boys, finally got my prints through.

The SOT I bought my cans from has a mobile scanner -
I went to another SOT by me, paid $25 and used their kiosk.
Scanned my prints without any issue.
A bit frustrating, but glad it's done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top