Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2021 3:21:42 PM EDT
I got one of the PW Arms imported Carcanos from PSA, a "cavalry" model to be exact. For $199 I couldn't pass it up. The gun looks pretty good, but is covered in so much dirt and grease I can barely hold it without covering myself. The barrel is packed with the stuff so I can't even see light through it. Any tips for getting the grease off without damaging the wood or anything else?

This is my first C&R gun I've ordered (besides a Garand I got from the CMP which was as clean as a new gun when I got it), so it's all new to me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it Cosmolene or something else?

I just use WD-40 and blue shop towels on the metal and a toothbrush and a small plastic scraper.  I take my time though because I find it therapeutic to take it al the way apart and clean each part individually.

Setting the wood in the sun and sweating it out of the stock or in black trash bag in the sun works pretty good for that part. You'll have to sweat wipe and repeat.  

Everybody has their personal favorite method though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got one of the PW Arms imported Carcanos from PSA, a "cavalry" model to be exact. For $199 I couldn't pass it up. The gun looks pretty good, but is covered in so much dirt and grease I can barely hold it without covering myself. The barrel is packed with the stuff so I can't even see light through it. Any tips for getting the grease off without damaging the wood or anything else?

This is my first C&R gun I've ordered (besides a Garand I got from the CMP which was as clean as a new gun when I got it), so it's all new to me.
View Quote

Don’t use gasoline!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Odorless mineral spirit melts the cosmoline pretty well.  Or if you have one of those hand-held steamers you can blast it out but don't use it on the wood and remember to oil the gun afterwards.  Just use a cleaning rod to push most of the cosmoline out of the bore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it Cosmolene or something else?

I just use WD-40 and blue shop towels on the metal and a toothbrush and a small plastic scraper.  I take my time though because I find it therapeutic to take it al the way apart and clean each part individually.

Setting the wood in the sun and sweating it out of the stock or in black trash bag in the sun works pretty good for that part. You'll have to sweat wipe and repeat.  

Everybody has their personal favorite method though.
View Quote
It feels like normal grease, same consistency I'd expect in grease I come across taking apart automotive drivetrain parts. I assume cosmoline is more like a thickening/hardening lacquer-like substance from descriptions of it I've read, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't use gasoline!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't use gasoline!
I don't intend to light it on fire so no gasoline will be involved

Is that something people actually do? Seems like it'd damage all sorts of things on a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Put it in the sun under a black tarp and it will melt off.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
For the wood, I prefer to scrub the stock with some 0000 steel wool dipped in linseed oil.  A linseed oil scrub if you will.  

For the metal, I use some bore cleaner and scrub it with a toothbrush.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
In summertime?  Hang it upside down in the attic with a pan of kitty litter under it.  Cosmoline melts off and drips into the kitty litter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I mechanically remove as much as I can, then use a pan of mineral spirits.
Those old tins surplus ammo came in work great.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is that something people actually do? Seems like it'd damage all sorts of things on a rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't use gasoline!

From what I understand it was the preferred method during World War II.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Gasoline is cheap and easy to get and does a pretty fair job.

But odorless mineral spirits does a great job without the hazards of gasoline.

Built up dirt and oils at the woodline and such can be loosened with regular gun oil and a thumbnail or popsicle stick.  And a little bit of elbow grease.  Won't harm the finish at all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is my two cents------

You are going to get a bunch of suggestions here from lots of different folks claiming their method is easy or best.
This is all well and good but my experience over many years shows "cosmolene" to be different from gun to gun. Some situations clean up pretty easy and examples go from there to "hard as concrete and nothing touches it!"

Not sure if the materials used are different or if storage conditions over time ages it and causes some to turn to crap.

My suggestions are:

Heat is generally good using hot water or steam or wrapping it in black plastic in the sun.

Some solvents are good but many will take the life out of the wood and with strong solvents you really don't want much on your skin as those strong solvents tend to head for your liver (not good).

With the stock the goal is to get the crud off the wood but not take all the life out of it. Heavy scraping , sanding or grinding might get crud off but tends to ruin any historical value if you hit it too hard.

Try to treat the wood and metal parts separately , start gentle with whatever works and step up your game as the project moves along.

Of course after the gun and stock are cleaned up you will have a gun and stock that will need to be protected , usually with boiled linseed oil on the wood and some type of gun oil on the metal
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Least destructive methods are always best (i.e. no harsh chemicals).

Other than that, there are several options listed. I use Ballistol and paper towels for the wood and metal.

One thing to do is clean the screw slots prior to disassembly. Use a toothpick or a pin to get all of the gunk out of the slots. It'll make things much easier, and you won't end up with chewed up screw slots. Use hollow ground bits too.

Oh, and be very careful when using heat, especially a heat gun. You can scortch your stock faster than you realize.

Another thing, I used to clean all of the grease off the metal under the wood line.  Lately, I've left some of the grease on the metal to protect it from rust (the metal under the woodline).
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
This will sound crazy but it works incredibly well.

Couple ways to start here.
1) wrap it in a towel/rag whatever and a black plastic garbage bag. Put in the hottest sun you have.. even dash of your car. Let it bake a day.

Disassemble and clean metal with mineral spirits or acetone. Bore too.

Stocks can be funny. You have a shooter or collectible? It matters here.
Assuming a shooter, you can do well with mineral spirits but oil will bleed for years.

A bit more aggressive is acetone and denatured alcohol mixed 50/50 wiped on wet and then off.

Dont like chemicals? No problem.  Use Smooth Fast Orange hand soap. This is the shit! Slather on, work with a soft nylon brush, wipe off. Repeat as necessary. I've even boiling water rinsed after and towel dried to no ill effect.

Real bad oil stains I used old fashioned whitening powder (powdered gypsum) and 50/50 acetone, denatured alchohol.  Make a wet paste, paint it on good, bag it up and let it dry. It simply sucks out the oil. You can use baby powder too..

When done I'd simply reoil with whatever was original and rub with 0000 steel wool.

Worked pretty well on a few dozen I've done over the years.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Results of the above process.  Note you can now see the cartouches.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Gasoline makes quick work of cosmoline.  A little mineral spirits gets any gasoline varnish off.  Dishwasher on steam will get rid of some dents and some of the dirt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Mineral spirits, a pan for soaking parts, and an old toothbrush.

For the stock, wipe off what you can with a rag, then put it in a black plastic bag with some kitty litter or any kind of clay absorbent, and leave it in the sun.  Turn occasionally.  Season to personal taste.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Gasoline.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe brake cleaner for the metal and heat and soapy water for the stock?  Clean the stock with soapy water, dry, then leave in the sun. Repeat as needed.

I had good luck using brake cleaner to clean off cosmoline from metal parts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#19]
OPNI

Linseed Oil and rags, towels or brushes can spontaneously combust. Be careful how you dispose of things. Even having your trash can burn could be expensive, embarrassing or hazardous.

I would try to separate the stock and action as soon as possible. Treat them different and you might want to spray down the action (only) with de chlorinated brake cleaner. That strips off everything so need to oil it immediately after or it will rust.

Some cosmoline you need to scrape off with plastic putty knives etc. Be careful with the wood, maybe test cleaners on the inside first before working on the exterior.

I have put wood stocks in black trash bags with coarse corn starch on the roof of my patio for a day or two. Wrap tight and seal with duct tape. Check weather reports beforehand.

It is fun though.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#20]
On my WWII jeep I usually use brake cleaner, toothbrush and a heat gun to clean the inch thick cosmo off the NOS parts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Surprisingly the stock is pretty good, a bit dirty but not slathered in grease or anything. It's the metal parts that really need cleaning.

This is basically going to be a nice wall hanger. It's a functional gun by the looks of it, but I have no intention right now of firing it. I just want to clean it up so it doesn't leave grease and dirt on everything it touches.

Looks like I'll need to go buy some mineral spirits.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Conservation 101: Stop the decay!

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I have really started to like using boiling water. Melts it right off, let it dry, then apply your favorite gun oil to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Any issues with using a ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and Simple Green for the small parts (fully disassembled of course)? I used to use that combo for small engine parts when I worked as a mechanic and never had any issues, but I don't know if it might harm old finishes or something.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Should be fine, just don't leave em in the water too long, and dry them quickly afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Should be fine, just don't leave em in the water too long, and dry them quickly afterwards.
View Quote
For sure. Dry while hot, oil, reassemble. That should at least make the small parts a lot easier. The wood is actually decent and the barreled action should be easy enough to clean by hand.

Anyone know if Pledge or Murphy's Oil Soap works for wood stocks? That's what I use for old wood furniture so I'd assume it'd work for the stock.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't think Pledge does much other than get dust off and make it look shiny.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I've used kerosene, left over from an emergency space heater, on the metal parts

Soak and scrub

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any issues with using a ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and Simple Green for the small parts (fully disassembled of course)? I used to use that combo for small engine parts when I worked as a mechanic and never had any issues, but I don't know if it might harm old finishes or something.
View Quote

I used an ultrasonic cleaner on a 1903A3 bolt. Seemed to alter the color of the Parkerizing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't use gasoline!

I was probably 10 years old when dad handed me an SKS and said "Strip it, put some gas in a coffee can and clean all the cosmoline off. Here's a brush." It works well on all of the metal parts, and doesn't damage anything. ( When SKS rifles were in every gun shop, stuffed into a drum, $79 each.)

I don't use gas anymore. Paint thinner, Brake clean, mineral spirits- they all work well. While you're cleaning the metal bits, put the stock into a black trash bag, then put it in the sun. The cosmoline will run off, and you'll be able to clean most of the rest with a rag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top