Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2023 2:23:34 PM EDT
I checked-out a Tippman yesterday and I really liked how that rifle felt in comparison to my Smith & Wesson MP 15-22; however, the safety switch was really stiff and just wasn’t as nice as the MP 15-22. It really bugged me and kept me from buying it.

With the above in mind, do you guys that own a Tippman have the same experience? And can I change out the safety selector parts in order to get a smoother feel to the selector?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Tippmann M4-22 and I really like it. I’ve not noticed an issue with the safety selector, but maybe I’m not that picky. I’m thinking some lube on it and breaking it in it will get a little less stiff. The rifle is super reliable and very accurate. And I really like how close it is to a real AR-15. I think you’d be happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the elite pistol and very happy with it. No noticeable issues so far.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, maybe it was just that particular sample.

I also posted this in GD and was informed by someone that his selector switch was also stiff but it smoothed out after some use.

Looking forward to getting mine.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes…the selector switch does feel different on mine but I got used to it in about 10 minutes.  I also ended up replacing the hand grip with the thin magpul one making operating the selector switch a little easier for me too  .  

The rifle is by far the BEST .22 AR that I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is really stiff which is way different than what I am used to. Ill be picking mine up tomorrow!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is really stiff which is way different than what I am used to. Ill be picking mine up tomorrow!
View Quote

Let us know how you like it! I've been shooting mine and the safety selector feels fine. Easy and smooth. I don't remember what it was like when it was brand new, but if it was stiff, it certainly has worked itself out. This rifle is very accurate and reliable - other than the normal .22 ammo related issues. I've found that CCI Standard Velocity works very well in it. If it gets really dirty, it will act up a little, but a few drops of lube on the bolt and a drop in the firing pin hole brings it right back. A full cleaning isn't necessary if dirt starts to slow it down. Enjoy!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Feels fine on mine.  I believe it will accept any ar15 safety so you could always try something else if you don't like.  Most of the parts other than the barrel and and BCG can be swapped for ar15 parts
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting. When I was looking it over at my LGS the stiffness of the safety selector is what really stood out to me. Sounds like it’ll break in with some use, though. Ill be making this my “pratice/training” rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
At what distance are you guys zeroing your rifles at?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the vast majority of the time, in my environment, I'm not shooting beyond 50 yards. So I have mine sighted at 35 yards. Drives tacks at that distance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For the vast majority of the time, in my environment, I'm not shooting beyond 50 yards. So I have mine sighted at 35 yards. Drives tacks at that distance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense…ill try that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes…the selector switch does feel different on mine but I got used to it in about 10 minutes.  I also ended up replacing the hand grip with the thin magpul one making operating the selector switch a little easier for me too  .  

The rifle is by far the BEST .22 AR that I have ever seen.
View Quote

Thanks, I was wondering if it was a standard setup with the spring in the grip.
That gives you the option of smoothing the top of the plunger, or lowering spring pressure by changing springs or drilling the grip a little deeper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
The setup is the same as a standard AR with the grip holding the spring and such.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
FYI… if you have any questions or issues call the service # in the manual.  They are very helpful and friendly!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FYI… if you have any questions or issues call the service # in the manual.  They are very helpful and friendly!!!
View Quote

Good to know!
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I may be going this route. The safety sucks big time on my rifle.

Ergo ambi safety
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#17]
This rifle is bad ass. I can’t say enough about this .22 rifle.

The safety selector has improved but i am still gonna replace it. Also gonna change out the trigger for the FCD Schmid trigger.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This rifle is bad ass. I can’t say enough about this .22 rifle.

The safety selector has improved but i am still gonna replace it. Also gonna change out the trigger for the FCD Schmid trigger.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22392/IMG_3209_png-2819818.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/22392/70577916207__9AA84FB3-C5FD-47AC-A7BB-A53-2819817.JPG
View Quote

I love mine!! The only things I’ve changed are the stock and I bought their extended charging handle.

https://tippmannarms.com/m4-22-extended-charging-handle/
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love mine!! The only things I’ve changed are the stock and I bought their extended charging handle.

https://tippmannarms.com/m4-22-extended-charging-handle/
View Quote

Oh, yeah, I'll probably change the buttstock out too and will add a Raptor-like CH. I'm trying to have this rifle set-up just like my "go-to" 5.56 rifle.

I really liked my M&P 15-22, but the TIPPMAN is way better.  

RESILIENT ARMS M4-22 AMBIDEXTROUS CHARGING HANDLE BLACK

Magpul CTR

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh yeah. If you haven’t already, get a suppressor for it. It is SO much fun to shoot quiet. Sounds quieter than a pellet gun. Coolest thing ever.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh yeah. If you haven’t already, get a suppressor for it. It is SO much fun to shoot quiet. Sounds quieter than a pellet gun. Coolest thing ever.
View Quote

Unfortunately, I live in a state that I can’t buy a suppressor.

On another note, the safety finally broke in and it feels just fine now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I live in a state that I can’t buy a suppressor.

On another note, the safety finally broke in and it feels just fine now.
View Quote

#1 - That sucks.
#2 - Good to hear.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad you got it!!
I love mine!,
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad you got it!!
I love mine!
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#25]
It’s been a great rifle so far.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ve had my Tippman Arms .22 for a little over a year. Honestly it was one of the most cursed guns I have ever owned. It would fire maybe three or four rounds and then have a dead trigger. It would eject a live round with no rim strike. I called their customer service and they were extremely helpful and offered me some tips. One of which was unscrewing the buffer tube one rotation. That helped a bit, but I would still have a failure to fire almost every magazine and then the bolt never locked open.

Under a microscope and using the tiny tools of my dental laboratory, I gently polished some wear surfaces that were showing up on the bolt and that seemed to help. I also polished the hammer where the bolt rode during the firing cycle. Those seemed to really help with the cycling and pretty much cleared up everything from a functional standpoint except the LRBHO. This past week after a mildly frustrating range session of perfect function but no bolt locking open (I bought this rifle specifically as a trainer because it locks the bolt open on the last round), I removed the bolt catch and noticed a slight ledge in the casting that was catching on the receiver. Under the microscope I polished this surface and now the bolt locks open perfectly. I feel like I have finally gotten this thing to function like it should. In retrospect I should have sent it back after that first session but I like to tinker and figure out why things don’t work.  

I too had a really crappy safety and replaced that plastic piece of crap the first week I owned it. I also added an extended M-Lok rail, Magpul grip and Magpul stock. I have a riser that allows the quick swap to my Thermal unit, with a QD Viridian dot sight. It’s also set up for Night Vision with a Viridian IR laser as well as an IR illuminator and a fake Surefire Scout.

On the plus side the gun is extremely accurate even with a dot sight.

I’ve since changed sights to a Viridian micro.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Sucks you had such a bad experience, but looks like you got it running well, now.

Apart from the safety issue, which is no longer issue due to actual use, I haven’t any issues. Maybe I just got lucky? I had a lot of issues with my S&W MP15-22 failing to eject, but messing with the ejector (per YouTube tips) fixed that issue.

I hope my Tippman rifle continues to function as well as it does right now.

Nice set-up, by the way!
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sucks you had such a bad experience, but looks like you got it running well, now.

Apart from the safety issue, which is no longer issue due to actual use, I haven’t any issues. Maybe I just got lucky? I had a lot of issues with my S&W MP15-22 failing to eject, but messing with the ejector (per YouTube tips) fixed that issue.

I hope my Tippman rifle continues to function as well as it does right now.

Nice set-up, by the way!
View Quote

I think I just got a bit of a lemon. Slowly it’s getting better. I really want to love this rifle. It’s the only one that truly replicates a centerfire AR.

I bought a Ruger LCP II in .22 at about the same time. I expected it to be a jam-o-matic and the Tippman to be perfect. Quite the opposite has been true. I’ve put over 2,000 rounds of mostly bulk pack through the LCP and I’ve only had maybe five malfunctions and those were dead rounds. I’ve put 500 Mini Mags through it and those have been absolutely perfect. Not a single problem. It’s become my pocket gun when I’m wearing shorts. I can also hit a full sized IPSC steel plate 5/10 times at 100 yards and nearly 100% at 50. It’s really been an incredible gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top