Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 11:26:40 PM EDT
I've been reloading for about two years on a Rock Chucker.  I recently purchased a Dillon 650 and have only ran two sessions so far. I'm starting with 45 ACP.  During my first session, I ran into a few small primer cases. Being that it was my first time using the press, and I hit the first SP case on the fifth pull, I panicked a little and sat there trying to figure out what to do.  Everything worked out and nobody died!

Tonight, before adding powder or primers, I resized and recapped a dozen cases and sat them on the side. Then I got going.  When I experienced a SP case, I simply removed it from station 2 and replaced it with one of the decapped/resized cases and kept on pulling.

I hope this helps other new progressive users.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yours is a great idea.  I took a different approach but yours is a good one.

I've taken to sorting my 45 ACP brass (before sizing) to cull the small primer cases.  There's nothing wrong with them and I have nothing against the design, so I save them.  I have well over 100 now and will someday reload them and use them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
that works or just pull the case and move on and keep an eye on the runaway truck ramp for the primer that wasn't used
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think making a run on a progressive is al about the set up.

Sort your brass, could be as simple as making sure they are all the same caliber (9MM/9MM mak/380 acp) or checking for small primers, or chrimped primers. Any one of the aforementioned mix ups will cause a stoppage in your procsess which would not be a big deal if you were loading on a single stage where you would just take that single case out of the batch and move on.

Powder hopper full. When I first started progressive, I would only fill the hopper to about what I thought it would take to get my run done. I don't do that anymore. Fill it up. Makes for a more consistent powder throw and you don't have to stop to top it off as often if you decide to keep going. Plus at the end, it takes the same amount of time to empty a half full Powder measure as it does a 1/8 full powder measure back into the storage bottle.

Primer tubes. Nuf said.

Bullets near by and easy to reach.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep bins with pre-sized cases for all of my pistol rounds for various reasons, including the SPP issue with .45. I also keep a stash for each round that are sized AND primed. They come in handy when something screws up somewhere!
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Good ideas here.  I do sort my brass, and cull out the SPP (saved in a separate container), but one or two always seem to slip through.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If something feel's wrong good chance it is.

I've had a die that was "undersized" forever. (in my defense i got this when i was brand new to reloading no internet back then .... i didn't know what i didn't know)

This weekend when i went to use my "new to me 550c"  to load some 45 acp.  I found that my shelplate that i've loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds with on my old 550b doesn't work with the new press.

Luckily i have 308 shelplate it's the same thing ( you never know this unless you look up part numbers dillon doesn't advertise it that way )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top