BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2022 2:40:36 PM EDT
Timney went live with their MP5 trigger on their website:
https://timneytriggers.com/hk-mp5-two-stage-trigger/

$380, it's a 2-stage which uses the factory selector and advertises a 2lbs first stage and 2lbs second stage for 4lbs total.

You'll need the factory ejector (which means this can probably go on a G3 or HK33 clone?

Don't have the cash for it at the moment but I'll probably pick one up. I love my MP5 but the trigger is a bit heavy for my taste even with some modifications.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
From the site: "This trigger is compatible with HK 91/93 and 94 type firearms and their clones - SEF/ Semi-Auto trigger packs and corresponding safety selector levers."

Sounds like lots of options for HK / clone users.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Drop shippers online have listed their price at $290.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
They need to do one for ambi packs, since the SP5 series are ambi.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drop shippers online have listed their price at $290.
View Quote

Where are you seeing that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a reason the link isn't hot?

Hot links
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
No ambi compatibility? That's lame.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It's ambi with the Magpul ESK...
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, kinda pricey.  Maybe Flannel Daddy will get his hands on one and do a review.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  I wonder if it's actually a real 2 stage or a simulated 2 stage like their Calvin elite 2 stage bolt gun trigger?   Alot of timney triggers rely on weaker than stock hammerspring to get weight low, I hope that's not the case with this.  If it's 390.00, I'd personally opt for the shooting sight trigger.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
So this won't work with the HK SP5?
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Not until you swap the trigger pack to an SEF pattern one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Then wouldn't it make sense to just get the shooting sight trigger??
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I mean, if that's your jam - but that costs more and I don't like that he can't use OEM selectors like the Timney can.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So this won't work with the HK SP5?
View Quote
Hole in this trigger box is too small for the HK ambi safety strut, it's sized for the SEF type safety.

Technically, if you combined this with a clipped and pinned SEF trigger housing/grip and an SEF pattern safety, you could then pop that whole lower assembly onto an SP5 and it should work.  But you couldn't just drop this trigger box into the original SP5 pictogram trigger housing and ambi selector.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I mean, if that's your jam - but that costs more and I don't like that he can't use OEM selectors like the Timney can.
View Quote

I think the shooting sight cost much less for the SP5 since you don't have to purchase an entirely new grip trigger housing
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#17]
They lost me at "It is NOT compatible with Ambi/Navy/FBI trigger packs"
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a US made Zenith SEF trigger pack from HK parts in a Magpul lower on my SP5 for 922R compliance. It makes you forget about the HK ambi “Navy lowers”. It’s nice enough that I’m uncertain if I want to spend the $$$$ on a Heckfire or the Timney.

For collectors, I can see why they want to stick with the Navy lower look. If you shoot a lot though, the Magpul is the way to go. To conclude, one must buy both

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think the shooting sight cost much less for the SP5 since you don't have to purchase an entirely new grip trigger housing
View Quote

A Navy G3 trigger housing and selector from HKParts is $50 + shipping.

If you shop around you can find good prices.

Those plus the Timney trigger are still less than a ShootingSight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please show me your math.  The timney is 379.99 on their site, the shooting sight trigger is 399.00 on hkparts and available.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Please show me your math.  The timney is 379.99 on their site, the shooting sight trigger is 399.00 on hkparts and available.
View Quote

UPC code for the timney trigger is showing as 081950675005.  Google and find a few stores with it listed (not in stock yet).  They are pricing it in the $290-295 range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

UPC code for the timney trigger is showing as 081950675005.  Google and find a few stores with it listed (not in stock yet).  They are pricing it in the $290-295 range.
View Quote

Ok.  I've saw pre orders for 340-370.  I'll wait to see if street price is closer to timneys site price or 290.  I've been let down multiple times by timney triggers on 700 clones, I honestly can say I've never been impressed with timney quality or trigger feel.  Granted these were on precision rifles.  Their glock trigger is a train wreck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you post a link? I can't find it for anywhere near $50?
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's ambi with the Magpul ESK...
View Quote

Getting a second safety lever on the right side isn’t the point.  The SP5 series have an ambi lower with a larger hole for the HK ambi safety.  You can’t just drop a SEF trigger pack, or a pack made for SEF, in the SP5 lower.  You would need to also swap the lower to a SEF lower.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://hkparts.net/product/hk-g3-91-ptr-sef-push-pin-navy-style-housing-good-shape-p17354.htm/
https://hkparts.net/product/hk-sef-long-axle-selector-lever-for-polymer-trigger-housings-used-p1105.htm/

Quoted:

Getting a second safety lever on the right side isn’t the point.  The SP5 series have an ambi lower with a larger hole for the HK ambi safety.  You can’t just drop a SEF trigger pack, or a pack made for SEF, in the SP5 lower.  You would need to also swap the lower to a SEF lower.

Yes. I'm aware. I'm saying that if you get the Navy SEF lower, you can use the Magpul ESK if you still want an ambi safety.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I was waiting for this, but if I can’t use an ambi housing it’s pointless for me. Shooting Sight’s Heckfire works on all lowers. This is a big oversight by Timney. Since it’s street price will get close to $300, maybe it’ll drive down the price of the Heckfire a bit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I just went with the heck fire. The owner was very responsive to my emails and questions. Great customer service. He posts on the HKpro site and seems to be a really good guy. Nothing against Timney but this is going in a SP5 and ambi lower...it is just easier for me
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#28]
so how is this trigger? Conversation steered into a special ed econ debate...
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
so how is this trigger? Conversation steered into a special ed econ debate...
View Quote

I should be getting the trigger installed over Thanksgiving and will report back!
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I got mine two days after ordering. It's pretty close to perfect. The 2 pound take up feels less and the trigger breaks clean and crisp like a good AR two stage match trigger and little over travel. The first stage is short so it feel more like just take up a small bit of slack before hitting a light wall.

The box dropped right in my metal 0,1 frame and the safety dropped right in with the right amount of resistance and no pack movement on the rifle.

The rifle can't be placed on safe with the hammer down, for whatever that may matter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Where are you guys that have them ordering from?
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got mine two days after ordering. It's pretty close to perfect. The 2 pound take up feels less and the trigger breaks clean and crisp like a good AR two stage match trigger and little over travel. The first stage is short so it feel more like just take up a small bit of slack before hitting a light wall.
View Quote

Sounds like timneys other "2 stage" triggers.  Fake/simulated 1st stage masking take up, not actual 3 lever design.  It will be interesting to hear how reliability is after a couple thousand rds, see if hammer spring is still strong enough to ignite primers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#33]
These are shipping from Optics Planet now...Was expecting more of a wait.  Now I need to hurry up and clip and pin the metal lower that this will be dedicated to.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Any more feedback on these?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered from Timney
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any more feedback on these?
View Quote

Some people having been having reset issues. I think one person reported needing to oil heavily and then manually cycling a couple hundred times before the issue went away. None of pics or videos below belong to me.

Timney HK trigger reset problem

Last vid of functional one.

https://imgur.com/a/an6oLze
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I received my trigger today and it passed initial functions test with full reset.

I'm going to get it out for dryfire tonight and then range time over the next two weeks.

*update 9:15pm - dryfire went well, full reset after ~100 cycles. Consistent 4lbs trigger break compared to ~9lbs on my US-parts pack.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I received my trigger today and it passed initial functions test with full reset.

I'm going to get it out for dryfire tonight and then range time over the next two weeks.

*update 9:15pm - dryfire went well, full reset after ~100 cycles. Consistent 4lbs trigger break compared to ~9lbs on my US-parts pack.
View Quote

Good news.  Looking forward to range report.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
How's the reset? I find the lazy reset more annoying than the heavy, creepy pull.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't notice anything, honestly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I installed the Timney trigger on a PTR clone.
Factory 147gr ammo, KE (I think) metal mags, suppressed.
1st mag with semi-rapid fire there were no issues.
2nd and 3rd mag one would fire, next one light primer strike, Rack it and get a burst fire, then repeat a light primer strike, then a burst.

Guess I need to talk to Timney.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Did they fix these yet or are people still having problems?

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#43]
They attempted to fix mine. They loctite the set screw right behind the trigger. Had the same results.

I used red loctite but have not taken it out yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not smart and I'm also tired of ordering things to see if they will work only find out they won't or I need buy more stuff to make them work.  

Will these work with the HK SP5 trigger housing?  

Do I need to order a non-ambi selector?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.

You would need to get an SEF type housing, and corresponding SEF compatible safety selector.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No.

You would need to get an SEF type housing, and corresponding SEF compatible safety selector.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Well that's BS.  Thanks for letting me know though.  Saved me from some major frustration.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well that's BS.  Thanks for letting me know though.  Saved me from some major frustration.
View Quote
It sucks, but the reality from the aftermarket maker's standpoint is that the HK SP5 is the only current model that comes with the Navy Pictogram Ambi housing design, and being the most expensive way into an "MP5" right now, it has a smaller market share than the various clones.  The MKE, PTR, Zenith, Old HK94s, and a bunch of other small makers all use the SEF pattern, so it's where there's more demand.

Ideally they'll eventually release a version for the Navy Ambi housing as well if they see the value in it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#48]
So I'm at over 2,000 rounds through the trigger - and I still have soft or sticky reset issues every few hundred rounds. I've cleaned out the trigger pack and I think (!) that this issue is due to the design of the trigger and the use of a lighter trigger reset spring to mask pull weight. I suspect, but cannot prove, that if they used a stronger return spring on the trigger that the reset issue would resolve.

I've also found video evidence of incorrectly assembled hammer springs, which can contribute to trigger issues.

I like the trigger (I do) but it's certainly not worth the money they're asking (I paid ~250 direct from Timney by stacking ExpertVoice and CyberMonday discounts - and that's borderline too much for me). There are apparently two other aftermarkets working on competing SEF-pattern triggers right now, I've spoken to both of them, but I don't know who will come to market and at what price point.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I'm at over 2,000 rounds through the trigger - and I still have soft or sticky reset issues every few hundred rounds. I've cleaned out the trigger pack and I think (!) that this issue is due to the design of the trigger and the use of a lighter trigger reset spring to mask pull weight. I suspect, but cannot prove, that if they used a stronger return spring on the trigger that the reset issue would resolve.

I've also found video evidence of incorrectly assembled hammer springs, which can contribute to trigger issues.

I like the trigger (I do) but it's certainly not worth the money they're asking (I paid ~250 direct from Timney by stacking ExpertVoice and CyberMonday discounts - and that's borderline too much for me). There are apparently two other aftermarkets working on competing SEF-pattern triggers right now, I've spoken to both of them, but I don't know who will come to market and at what price point.
View Quote
Who else is working on triggers
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Not at liberty to say, sorry - they should announce in the next 6mos or so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top