Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2018 10:01:58 AM EDT
I searched for a similar topic but didn't see anything.

I have a Savage 300WSM with the normal Savage sporter contour barrel. I would like to use my suppressor on this rifle, but my understanding is the barrel is too small to thread 5/8x24 and have a shoulder behind the threads.

My understanding is that applies to direct threading a suppressor.

I have a Griffin Alpha.

What if the barrel was threaded and I attached one of Griffin's muzzle breaks, and then used the suppressor on the brake instead of the direct thread adapter?

Would the break be reliably mounted on the thin barrel, and would it be rigid enough to support the suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Your issue is twofold.

First, and most important, can your barrel handle the weight of the suppressor. You'll not know how accuracy is affected until after, unless someone has the exact setup.

Second, shouldering a muzzle device. This isn't that big a deal.
You can shoulder off the muzzle, provided what you're attaching allows this.
You can use a QD muzzle device, provided enough material to shoulder.
Or, you can cut smaller threads and make an adapter to the larger, with a larger shoulder.

For my kids' Rascal rifles, I went w/ the third option.
3/8-20 on barrel and 1/2-28 on adapter w/ larger shoulder, Rocksett to muzzle threads.
Not my pic, but same idea.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Using a thread adapter will solve the threading problem, but the bigger issue as pointed out, will be the thin profile of the barrel, and this is going to cause not only major barrel harmonics problems, but a major shift in POI as well.

Secondly, a can only helps to resolve the Boom muzzle report, but does not reduce the sonic crack of the bullet traveling super sonic speeds as it leave the can and travels down range.

Since this is a savage rig that allows for a barrel replacement easily, would suggest that you look for a thicker profile barrel to run the can on instead.  Here your not chancing the can getting off bore line axis to end up with a baffle strike, and less problems with barrel harmonics/ poi shifts instead.
View Quote
Yeah, I've had suppressors for a while, so I know about super and subsonic.

I've thought about getting a new barrel, and figured that would be the way to go. Just trying to explore all the possibilities here.

My problem has been that I figured if I get a new barrel I might as well get a Creedmoor or something easier to shoot besides a WSM. But it seems the large shank receivers are Savage's redheaded stepchildren, and really up the cost on a barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top