Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 12:07:01 PM EDT
Greetings all,

I have a HK SP5 which has both a tri lug, which I use, and threads with a protector.

My question is when using the tri-lug should I leave the thread protector on? or remove it?

TIA
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't own a 3lug like that but my guess would be to keep the TP on to protect the threads from being exposed to carbon build up, but will be curious to see what the experts have to say on here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve done it with both without issue. That being said, thread protectors are important and prefer to use mine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I used rocksett on my thread protector so I dont have to worry about it coming lose. 3 lug ftw
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Install your suppressor without the thread protector..... see how much side to side movement there is

now do it with the thread protector installed
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave it on for two reasons: less carbon buildup on the threads, and more support for the spring driven tensioning bushing along its entire inside length.  You might be able to feel more wobble without the thread protector to confirm that it’s good practice to leave it on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Most suppressors for the 9mm HK 3-lug mount use the diameter of the barrel forward of the lugs as the alignment surface, not the back of the lugs. For this reason, alignment is problematic without the thread protector. Some knurled thread protectors are too large to fit in the mount. The OD of the protector should be 0.590-0.591 inches for best results.

Also, on original factory threaded 3-lug barrels, HK says the weapon should not be shot without the thread protector. While this may be German over-engineering or may be related to wall strength over the threads, it is a good idea to prevent dinging the threads if you hit something..
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had an end cap slightly grazed without the thread protector. Never again. (old silencerco 3lug mount)
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If I plan on never using the threaded part, then I red loctite on the thread protector. I even had used smooth thread protectors instead of the knurled ones for this application.

But if you don't have a three lug suppressor, then I guess use your thread on suppressor and use the threads. Probably don't care about the thread protector as much in this case.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Both CGS and Phoenix told me to always run the TP on with their mount/can.

I can't remember if Dead Air told me that too or not.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Well look at that l was right ??l
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Question- I forgot to mention, I have done a range session with the protector on, it loosened during the shoot.

Is this cool? Is there a non-permanent (No Rockset) way to keep it tight?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#12]
idiot question - I just bought a SP5 myself & was trying to research tri lug vs other adaptor(s).

say, would my wolfman pop on to trilug or would i need a different muzzle device?
IIRC, i will need the fixed barrel spacer as well, since it’s a fixed barrel.

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
idiot question - I just bought a SP5 myself & was trying to research tri lug vs other adaptor(s).

say, would my wolfman pop on to trilug or would i need a different muzzle device?
IIRC, i will need the fixed barrel spacer as well, since it’s a fixed barrel.

thanks!
View Quote

The Wolfman only comes with a 1/2x28 direct thread adapter, so you would need to buy a 3-lug adapter if you wanted to use the 3-lug mount on the SP5.  Fixed barrel spacers are only for use with the booster piston setup, which the Wolfman doesn’t come with.  Since the end of the SP5 barrel is threaded 1/2x28, and the included direct thread adapter works fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there the possibility of the thread protector coming loose and off the end of the barrel, and getting in the way of the bullet?  or is the end of the thread protector close enought on most or all cans to the baffles that they would keep it on the threads?

I need to put a can on my 3 lug at some point with the baffles out, and see what room there is for something bad to happen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is there the possibility of the thread protector coming loose and off the end of the barrel, and getting in the way of the bullet?  or is the end of the thread protector close enought on most or all cans to the baffles that they would keep it on the threads?

I need to put a can on my 3 lug at some point with the baffles out, and see what room there is for something bad to happen.
View Quote

Is it possible for the TP to loosen?  Yes it’s possible in theory, but it seems very unlikely that it would complete unthread itself while inside of the sleeve of the 3 lug adapter.  Many people put a little Teflon tape or an O-ring on the threads to keep the TP from getting loose.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is it possible for the TP to loosen?  Yes it’s possible in theory, but it seems very unlikely that it would complete unthread itself while inside of the sleeve of the 3 lug adapter.  Many people put a little Teflon tape or an O-ring on the threads to keep the TP from getting loose.
View Quote

Mine loosens every range session, this is kinda why I am asking about to remove or not.

Teflon tape, or Teflon specifically melts at 600 degree's. Any o-ring made of rubber would fair fare less.

Is there another option for securing, but not permanently, the TP?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mine loosens every range session, this is kinda why I am asking about to remove or not.

Teflon tape, or Teflon specifically melts at 600 degree's. Any o-ring made of rubber would fair fare less.

Is there another option for securing, but not permanently, the TP?
View Quote

Unless you’re doing full auto dumps, a 9mm isn’t going to get that hot.  I use viton O-rings on my SP5 without any issue.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#18]
A drop or two of blue thread locker.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A drop or two of blue thread locker.
View Quote

Sounds like a winner
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Thread on another 3 lug device?

But in all seriousness, I keep the thread protector on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top