Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2022 2:54:45 PM EDT
I'm just over 70.  In decent physical shape, but could easily stand to lose 20# on 6'3" stout frame.  From what Gov't sites say, I should be around 200#, and that seems on the almost non-existant fat level.  Fair enough.

Have had recent cataract eye surgery to "corrrect" eyes to 20-20 "far" vision, but require "cheater" glasses for close vision.  Best thing I ever did.  YMMV.

I'd appreciate comments from folks in similar situation.  I haven't "needed" to see a Doctor for many decades.  

I have noticed some loss of "muscle mass" over the decades, and I'd like to reverse that, without using objectionable substances.

As for myself, considering some Tai Chi classes offered at local Senior Center in order to increase body flexibility.  Postponed due to Covid.

Don't get me wrong, in a static position, I might be fairly useful, given longstanding experience in shooting, and "new" eyes.

I'd like to think that even given my diminished capacities I can be useful.  The other day, I had to restrain an inexperienced person from creating a full-blown mess.

Was not a full-blown conflict, so trivial.

Asking for advice from folks in a similar age/body situation.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No advice besides saying I have been on objective with dudes only 5-6 younger than you and I would not want to cross any of them.  No bifocals jokes here.

Mad respect to the over 65 crowd still training and doing the good lords work.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Will be 71 in Sept. Just keep moving. I go to a gym twice a week, use flexibility machines - ski, rowing, treadmill, stair climber, ect. Walk 2 miles at least three times a week, use a push mower, weekly trips to the range, swim, kayak, quit deer hunting last year but bought new backpack equipment. I'm going to keep moving and doing something as long as I can.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will be 71 in Sept. Just keep moving. I go to a gym twice a week, use flexibility machines - ski, rowing, treadmill, stair climber, ect. Walk 2 miles at least three times a week, use a push mower, weekly trips to the range, swim, kayak, quit deer hunting last year but bought new backpack equipment. I'm going to keep moving and doing something as long as I can.
View Quote

That is the key. Keep moving.

Walk, run, swim, row, etc. Just do something to get your blood flowing and stay in the game.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Try your regular doc first (but they are usually clueless on TRT) and insurance may cover. If not, out of pocket isn't too bad. It'll change your life.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Try your regular doc first (but they are usually clueless on TRT) and insurance may cover. If not, out of pocket isn't too bad. It'll change your life.
View Quote
Haven't seen a Doctor in a very long time.  Except for Dentists and Opthamologists as in getting cataract surgery.

Might be time to get a check-up, and maybe get some minor things taken care-of.

The testosterone therapy might be useful in counteracting muscle mass loss due to age.  

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Raf, what's the actual question?

As for "not needing" to see a doctor, plenty of folks drop dead from not treating simple things (as is their right).  Not saying you have something wrong, but I bet they would find something.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Tai Chi and swimming will do wonders to preserve your motion and give you decent low impact exercise.

The local Y put in a "therapeutic" (lukewarm) pool about a decade ago and their senior classes took off like a rocket. From water aerobics to water dancing, with all kinds of other classes in the middle. As corny as some of it looks, its 360 degree, 3d resistance to every motion you make. Lots of the folks were eventually able to eliminate some of their meds like BP stuff.

Blood sugar drops, bone stays strong, cholesterol drops some, BP drops and cardiac health increases. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps consider a thread move to the self defense & fitness forum. You'll probably get a lot more relevant responses.

For fitness you might explore some yoga and stretching. Yoga with Adrienne on youtube is a great free morning activity. Bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, squats, jumping jacks could also be beneficial combined with some cardio like walking/jogging/hiking.

If interested in resistance exercises a couple resistance bands or sandbags can provide a nice challenge with reasonable expense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top