Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2023 11:18:34 AM EDT
Im setting up various pieces of gear for various uses. I have a 3 mag kangaroo type pouch, and i cant for the life of me decide where one would use one of these. I dont think it makes sense on a battle belt because of how big it is, and I dont believe it would work well on the front of a chest rig or plate carrier because you wouldnt be able to go prone if needed... so im wondering how/where you guys have used these and had good success?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
They work fine on PCs. There are other positions besides prone to work from.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Lemme ask mine....

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm anti-bulk and against being the Michelin Man so I like things as pulled in tight to me as possible.  I am also a firm believer that the closer the weight is to your frame the less punishment on your body, because a body is designed by God to be perfectly in balance when we're naked but as humans we pack on all this stuff on our bodies and start messing with God's perfect equation.    Plus, everyone discounts the possibility of having to go hand-to-hand in a modern era, but to me that's an all too real possibility still and so I want to be ready to get into an entanglement and roll if necessary and I don't like to have a lot of bulk up front on me. So, I like Kangaroo Pouches, they keep the mags nice and close up against you.  I do a line of three magazine up front in a Kangaroo Ferro Concepts placard and then carry an additional two magazine on my belt line (if I need more magazines than that I put on my 24 hour assault pack that carries an additional three magazines that can rotated out of the pack and into the carrier or belt (not every single magazine has to be a fast draw mag).  

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Fully Rigged Plate Carrier vs Slick Carrier and Chest Harness, Which is best?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand that, but I would hate to rule a position out just for the sake of gear. Maybe im looking at it from the wrong perspective.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That’s exactly what they were made for.
View Quote

Well maybe im overthinking it then. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I understand that, but I would hate to rule a position out just for the sake of gear. Maybe im looking at it from the wrong perspective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything is about compromise. Just have to train with your gear or figure out what works. I have things where I compromise my height in prone so that I can carry more ammo...
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Everything is about compromise. Just have to train with your gear or figure out what works. I have things where I compromise my height in prone so that I can carry more ammo...
View Quote

I am weighing pros and cons. We are talking an inch or two of mag and fabric when prone. wont be comfortable probably, but probably worth it, keeping weight off the belt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]

You mean a kangaroo pouch like this? Yes, they were made to be out there. I think having a single row of magazines  Is a reasonable compromise and having It in the kangaroo Is a reasonably low profile solution, considering that a layer or two of material that would be used in making a pouch that mounts on front Is substituted by the already present layers of cummerbind closing flap material. Granted that It was invented prior than 10-speed pouches or guys Will stack two or three layers of pouches in front of the kangaroo, negating the low profile effect

Having a slick front carrier Is rare among US soldiers, more commonly seen in UK.

In some older armor carriers kangaroo type pouches May be sandwiched between the sides of the front flap and the cummerbind, so lets Say moved around 45° to the side.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://images3.imgbox.com/6e/dc/xsEAD7LH_o.jpg

You mean a kangaroo pouch like this? Yes, they were made to be out there. I think having a single row of magazines  Is a reasonable compromise and having It in the kangaroo Is a reasonably low profile solution, considering that a layer or two of material that would be used in making a pouch that mounts on front Is substituted by the already present layers of cummerbind closing flap material. Granted that It was invented prior than 10-speed pouches or guys Will stack two or three layers of pouches in front of the kangaroo, negating the low profile effect

Having a slick front carrier Is rare among US soldiers, more commonly seen in UK.

In some older armor carriers kangaroo type pouches May be sandwiched between the sides of the front flap and the cummerbind, so lets Say moved around 45° to the side.
View Quote

I guess what im calling kangaroo pouch is the rifle mag pouches with built in handgun mag pouches on the front. Mine for example, is a 3 rifle mag pouch with 3 handgun mags, all in one molle unit. I thought kangaroo is what that type of pouch was called. What you are showing is different, but makes more sense to be called kangaroo lol.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]

One of these?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#13]

EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Why would you ever have a problem going prone in a PC with mags up front?  Works fine for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

EXACTLY!
View All Quotes

I use a placard like that for my slickster. That way I need no belt and can just throw it on and go. I keep my IFAK in a small dangler. I can also ditch the placard and go slick for less bulk. It seems to work OK right now but I need to go actually train with it rather than wander around my house practicing reloads.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

EXACTLY!
View Quote
Those strike me as pretty stupid,  if you're gonna ass bulk when carrying a rifle it should be more rifle mags.

I use a blue force three mag pouch on the front of my PC so when the mags are gone there is no bulk. I have one rifle mag on my belt and two pistol mags.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is an interesting thing to say. In the prone, with only front and back plates, the plates are doing nothing. That said, being low as whale shit becomes your only cover.

I'd appreciate if you would explain that further. It seems counter intuitive to me, but maybe it's a better way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Oh, those. I refer to the as 3+3

Yes, they were made to be put in front of armor or vests. they predate the front flap closure however, so they were not strictly made for the flap. You could also move the pouches a little on the side and mount them on the cummerbunds of armor that have a front zipper closure like the paraclete RAV, a narrower flap like the Land Ciras or whatever open front like the OTV.  
One of my NCOs more than a decade ago had one mounted 90° on the weak side dangling on a molle belt. Definitely not a good load of ammunition for the average civilian.

Oh, btw i have one that holds 6+6 and is double the width of that
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is an interesting thing to say. In the prone, with only front and back plates, the plates are doing nothing. That said, being low as whale shit becomes your only cover.

I'd appreciate if you would explain that further. It seems counter intuitive to me, but maybe it's a better way.
View Quote

Three different setups for three different scenarios. One of them is set up with double mags in mind. It is meant to be an ammo hauler primarily for rifle. That is bulky and will limit my ability to completely prone out. It is a compromise. Even on the open plains, there is shit to use for cover...

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh, those. I refer to the as 3+3

Yes, they were made to be put in front of armor or vests. they predate the front flap closure however, so they were not strictly made for the flap. You could also move the pouches a little on the side and mount them on the cummerbunds of armor that have a front zipper closure like the paraclete RAV, a narrower flap like the Land Ciras or whatever open front like the OTV.  
One of my NCOs more than a decade ago had one mounted 90° on the weak side dangling on a molle belt. Definitely not a good load of ammunition for the average civilian.

Oh, btw i have one that holds 6+6 and is double the width of that
View Quote

What do you mean about not a good load of ammunition for the average citizen?

I didnt know they made them 6x6? what the hell would you do with that?!
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I only meant it is uncommon to put 3 rifle magazines on the belt (not that that pouch is well suited for a belt). i would object also that as of today on the belt is unusual to see pistol magazines stacked over the rifle ones and also the way that how the pouch is built with pistol magazines centered in front of each rifle pouch makes for a loss of pals estate and also quite different muscle memory when reloading, usually a triple pistol magazine pouch has the mags seated tightly one next to the other in a smaller package.
to be nitpicky getting the leftmost and the rightmost pistol magazine from that pouch definitely makes you do different arm movement.

I didnt know they made them 6x6? what the hell would you do with that?!

i think that when i was younger i was always told that a direct action loadout was made of 6 rifle and 6 pistol magazines (at the same tie they were still teaching that greenside would be 12 rifle and no armor), so why not putting it in a single pouch that occupies the whole front panel of the armor.
here it is, the lower part is just a single large pouch, you can tell it is old school as it has loop velcro for magazine retention, you were to put little pieces of adhesive hook to the magazines.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep in mind that most folks aren't going flat hugging the earth prone.  

There does exist things like micro-terrain and underbrush even in urban areas.  

There are no perfect solutions, only trade offs, but I don't think the trade off of a few inches in the kangaroo pouch position out does its utility for easy unimpeded magazine access. Also there is definitely something to be said about keeping your width down in size, because although in CQB houses the hallways are always big and the doors always standard in real life spaces can get narrow.  A lot of criminals and people in general aren't very clean and orderly in life so moving through a place with all kinds of crap forcing you to squeeze through places is not abnormal at all.   Wearing a ruck is a thing sometimes.  Point being if you're placing all your magazines on the sides that's going to come with trade-offs too.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I only meant it is uncommon to put 3 rifle magazines on the belt (not that that pouch is well suited for a belt). i would object also that as of today on the belt is unusual to see pistol magazines stacked over the rifle ones and also the way that how the pouch is built with pistol magazines centered in front of each rifle pouch makes for a loss of pals estate and also quite different muscle memory when reloading, usually a triple pistol magazine pouch has the mags seated tightly one next to the other in a smaller package.
to be nitpicky getting the leftmost and the rightmost pistol magazine from that pouch definitely makes you do different arm movement.

i think that when i was younger i was always told that a direct action loadout was made of 6 rifle and 6 pistol magazines (at the same tie they were still teaching that greenside would be 12 rifle and no armor), so why not putting it in a single pouch that occupies the whole front panel of the armor.
here it is, the lower part is just a single large pouch, you can tell it is old school as it has loop velcro for magazine retention, you were to put little pieces of adhesive hook to the magazines.
https://images2.imgbox.com/f9/98/hG5alkk1_o.jpg
View Quote

Thats wild. On another note, I need to get some woodland stuff... Thanks a lot. lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
They are a good basic option for a light load. And in practice they are less than or equal to the bulk of a lot of micro rigs.

All ammo is easy to get to. And sometimes getting pistol mags off the front of your belt makes it a lot easier to bend and crouch without them jamming into your belly, thighs, or vest.

Even if you don’t load up with pistol mags you can still fit flashlights, multitools, tourniquets, and some flash bangs in the pistol mag pouches.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why would you ever have a problem going prone in a PC with mags up front?  Works fine for the rest of us.
View Quote

I don't know. I had what I thought was pretty low profile placard on my PC but I felt like a teeter-totter going prone so I currently have no placard on my PC at all and rely on my cummerbund for carrying mags/etc.. I may go with a single layer placard (thinking Spiritus Mk. V) as an option if I feel it is necessary.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Those strike me as pretty stupid,  if you're gonna ass bulk when carrying a rifle it should be more rifle mags.
View Quote

From an Infantrymans perspective yes. From a Home Defense Standpoints i am more likely to having a Handgun i Hand than a rifle (at least for me) and therefore i want Reloads for that on every Armor or Belt i have.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

From an Infantrymans perspective yes. From a Home Defense Standpoints i am more likely to having a Handgun i Hand than a rifle (at least for me) and therefore i want Reloads for that on every Armor or Belt i have.
View Quote

Agreed on all of this, and also keep reloads for handgun on everything.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the wide expanse of the hypothetical I have a difficult time imagining a situation where I would have my plate carrier and not have access to a rifle.

In an HD scenario the rifle comes out before the PC.

I suppose I could be "covert" with my PC under a jacket, and my pistol concealed. But that use would negate the stacked pistol pouches as well. A situation is covered by the PC I showed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top