Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2019 12:14:11 PM EDT
I went to a Sig event, got my first 2 suppressors with free tax stamps. Paid about $1200 total for 9mm and QD 5.56 cans. As I wait for the cans to be released from jail, I'm contemplating what rifle to put the 5.56 can on.

I have 3 KAC's (2 SR16 & a mod 2 14.5) and I'll only put a KAC can on those. I have an MK18, but wanted to get a SF can for that.

Anyone here have an MCX Virtus 11.5 and run it with a Sig can? Have a hard time dropping $2500 on a Sig rifle but already got the Sig can on the way, and with the tapered muzzle devices/ barrel, it's a perfect match. A cheap choice would be to grab a BCM 11.5 upper for the Sig can. Not really interested in anything like a PSA or Aero upper. Have an SBR LWRC lower.

To make the Virtus to my liking is pricey...

- $1900 MCX Virtus 11.5
- $125 SBA3 brace
- $200 16" rail to cover the can and give more rail space
- $300 Geissele trigger
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went to a Sig event, got my first 2 suppressors with free tax stamps. Paid about $1200 total for 9mm and QD 5.56 cans. As I wait for the cans to be released from jail, I'm contemplating what rifle to put the 5.56 can on.

I have 3 KAC's (2 SR16 & a mod 2 14.5) and I'll only put a KAC can on those. I have an MK18, but wanted to get a SF can for that.

Anyone here have an MCX Virtus 11.5 and run it with a Sig can? Have a hard time dropping $2500 on a Sig rifle but already got the Sig can on the way, and with the tapered muzzle devices/ barrel, it's a perfect match. A cheap choice would be to grab a BCM 11.5 upper for the Sig can. Not really interested in anything like a PSA or Aero upper. Have an SBR LWRC lower.

- $1900 MCX Virtus 11.5
- $125 SBA3 brace
- $300 Geissele trigger
View Quote
Hopefully the Virtus is better than the stock MCX.  I have a MCX and its a POS.  Too many plastic parts that had no business being plastic (charging handle for one).  The ambit selector switch did not work on the right side, the mag release on the right side didn't to work either.  And to top it all off the hand guards get hot enough to force you to wear gloves all the time.

IMHO Sig has a reputation for putting out products without a proper QC.  Then they issue "updates" instead of recalls and quietly replace parts that are shit.  I've replaced no much of my rifle its practically a new rifle.  It's just now starting to work correctly.

What is drawing you to the Virtus?  There are so many better options out there
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hopefully the Virtus is better than the stock MCX.  I have a MCX and its a POS.  Too many plastic parts that had no business being plastic (charging handle for one).  The ambit selector switch did not work on the right side, the mag release on the right side didn't to work either.  And to top it all off the hand guards get hot enough to force you to wear gloves all the time.

IMHO Sig has a reputation for putting out products without a proper QC.  Then they issue "updates" instead of recalls and quietly replace parts that are shit.  I've replaced no much of my rifle its practically a new rifle.  It's just now starting to work correctly.

View Quote
Well, I suppose the fact I have the Sig can on the way which has the whole taper lock thing going on and the Sig can should fit nicely on the Virtus with a longer rail covering it. I also already have plenty of good high end AR's, toying around with trying something different. Although I just started looking at the Virtus, I did hear it's much better than the original MCX but.... ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, I suppose the fact I have the Sig can on the way which has the whole taper lock thing going on and the Sig can should fit nicely on the Virtus with a longer rail covering it. I also already have plenty of good high end AR's, toying around with trying something different. Although I just started looking at the Virtus, I did hear it's much better than the original MCX but.... ?
View Quote
I hope the Virtus is much better than the MCX.  Good luck with the can
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I hope the Virtus is much better than the MCX.  Good luck with the can
View Quote
Appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I run a qd 7.62 Sig can on a 11.5” BCM.  Definitely requires an adjustable gas block and I paired that with H2 buffer and a Springco blue spring and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me know if I can help.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I run a qd 7.62 Sig can on a 11.5” BCM.  Definitely requires an adjustable gas block and I paired that with H2 buffer and a Springco blue spring and it shoots great.
View Quote
Hmm, Ok. "Requires" adjustable gas block? Wonder if the 7.62 can differs from the 5.56 in that regard? If I went BCM I'd just be ordering the upper from them. So, you're saying I'd have to swap out the GB? Curious about the Taper lock? Any issues there with the BCM shoulder?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Haha, awesome! Got my first suppressor on it's way, not sure what to put it on. The whole Taper lock thing seems to leave a question which non-Sig barrels it will work on? Being a (newer) KAC guy, not sure about diving into the Virtus world. Looks like you're a fan?! Have you tried installing an SBA3 brace on one?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Haha, awesome! Got my first suppressor on it's way, not sure what to put it on. The whole Taper lock thing seems to leave a question which non-Sig barrels it will work on? Being a (newer) KAC guy, not sure about diving into the Virtus world. Looks like you're a fan?! Have you tried installing an SBA3 brace on one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Full disclosure, I work for SIG.

Taper lock will work on any barrel.  It’s designed around a taper-shoulder barrel, but works perfect on a “standard” barrel with a 90-degree shoulder, too.

I’m a big MCX fan, yes.  Go check out the SIG Rifles subforum and ask around to some of those guys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Full disclosure, I work for SIG.

Taper lock will work on any barrel.  It’s designed around a taper-shoulder barrel, but works perfect on a “standard” barrel with a 90-degree shoulder, too.

I’m a big MCX fan, yes.  Go check out the SIG Rifles subforum and ask around to some of those guys.
View Quote
Ahh, ok. The event I was at was a class with John Hollister. It was cool. I took the class and bought the suppressors on a whim, now wondering what to put it on. I played with the Virtus 11.5 today. Just so different than what I'm used to. Gotta say, seems pretty damn innovative.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- $1900 MCX Virtus 11.5
- $125 SBA3 brace
- $300 Geissele trigger

Wow that’s crazy. I’ve had the exact opposite experience with my Legacy MCX. I also have not had the issue with the handguard getting to hot.
I love the rifle and will be getting a 11.5 virtus when funds allow.
Attachment Attached File

Older pic. I have a SL protac rail 1k and the front sight is back on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#12]
One Sig rifle, several pistols and one can. SRD 45

Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow that’s crazy. I’ve had the exact opposite experience with my Legacy MCX. I also have not had the issue with the handguard getting to hot.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/0A39CEEA-A0BD-4F18-9B9E-A49252955AD5_jpeg-811749.JPG
View Quote
Thats awesome.  I wish I could say mine is an isolated issue.  We have had so many catastrophic failures with our MCXs that our SWAT team ditched the rifles all together.

I really want to like my MCX as it SHOULD do all the things I need it too but it just doesn't.  If I wasn't required to carry it I would scrap it for my Rock River again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- $1900 MCX Virtus 11.5
- $125 SBA3 brace
- $300 Geissele trigger

This seems to be a common thread amongst Sig guns. I would own a West German or German made Sig any day of the week. Ron Cohen USA Sig, no thanks. Too many issues with poor QC. With poor parts quality. Bad gun design.

Has happened to frequently that you buy a Sig rifle, only for it to be redesigned and your model no longer supported. Just isn't worth it when so many other great options are available.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thats awesome.  I wish I could say mine is an isolated issue.  We have had so many catastrophic failures with our MCXs that our SWAT team ditched the rifles all together.

I really want to like my MCX as it SHOULD do all the things I need it too but it just doesn't.  If I wasn't required to carry it I would scrap it for my Rock River again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/0A39CEEA-A0BD-4F18-9B9E-A49252955AD5_jpeg-811749.JPG

If it exist. I’d love to hear the AAR that they had on the rifle. Which generation/Models and the issues they had.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This seems to be a common thread amongst Sig guns. I would own a West German or German made Sig any day of the week. Ron Cohen USA Sig, no thanks. Too many issues with poor QC. With poor parts quality. Bad gun design.

Has happened to frequently that you buy a Sig rifle, only for it to be redesigned and your model no longer supported. Just isn't worth it when so many other great options are available.
View Quote
I've read this same internet regurgitated statement so many times it's physically making my eyes roll. I own a West German Sig and several Sig USA pistols including the MPX. No QC issues, solid design and never a hiccup. Several gun club members have also had the same experience and our LGS (Sig Dealer) who has a broader sample to pull from says the same.

Have they had issues that have been well documented that they've needed to correct?  Absolutely, no pass given there. But to make a broad comment about Sig USA like the one above is simply inaccurate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll throw another nuance in here. For the $2500 investment on the Virtus, I could buy an 11.5 BCM upper for the Sig can that's on it's way, plus grab a KAC suppressor for my KAC rifles I currently own. Many different ways to go here. Really appreciate everyones input. Keep it coming :)
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#18]
You could grab a Virtus upper kit ($1300-$1500), which will come with stock adapters for a standard AR lower. And then add the KAC suppressor. Still probably puts you closer to $3K, but would also give you lots of flexibility.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are set on a piston kit, I would just get a PWS upper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've read this same internet regurgitated statement so many times it's physically making my eyes roll. I own a West German Sig and several Sig USA pistols including the MPX. No QC issues, solid design and never a hiccup. Several gun club members have also had the same experience and our LGS (Sig Dealer) who has a broader sample to pull from says the same.

Have they had issues that have been well documented that they've needed to correct?  Absolutely, no pass given there. But to make a broad comment about Sig USA like the one above is simply inaccurate.
View Quote
I don't know about the internet but I can tell you from years of experience with Sigs in the field that I'm glad I do not have to trust my life to a Sig.  My first Sig was one of the P220Rs when they first came out.  Straight out of the box the magazines would not except ammunition.  Took over 30 magazines to get it corrected.  Then there were feeding issues.  I sent it back and was told they did not know what the cause was but polished the feed ramp.  Yup sold that

Then there was the P320.  Man I really like the feel and handling of that gun but it shot so high that at 25 yards and out if I aimed center mass it was shooting above the target.  Of course I thought the issue was me so I had several people shoot it with the same results.  Out of five P320s we had on the street 3 were having this same issue.  Sold that one.

Now I'm issued the MCX.  We purchased around 100 of them and have had so many issues with them our SWAT team ditched them for PWS.  I'm one of the armorers and I was less than impressed with the stance Sig took on the rifle.

I wills one thing I am impressed with is when there is an "upgrade" they quickly send out the parts needed for replacement.

The MCX and Sig as a whole is good company for people who collect guns and shoot at the range but not for field work.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are set on a piston kit, I would just get a PWS upper.
View Quote
I've been following the internet arguments for years--PWS sure seems to be the best bet to avoid all the drama so far.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Mines an 11.5". Not a Sig can but not sure why that would matter

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I personally don't think the Geissele trigger is needed if you have the newer SIG Matchlite trigger.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a  Sig SRD 7.62 can.  Its quiet.  Kevin Brittingham designed them, they good to go.  The tapered thing is genius.  Everything stays put, no matter what configuration of barrel or can you have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I personally don't think the Geissele trigger is needed if you have the newer SIG Matchlite trigger.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing. And that G trigger is pricier than the normal SSA-E's I usually buy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a  Sig SRD 7.62 can.  Its quiet.  Kevin Brittingham designed them, they good to go.  The tapered thing is genius.  Everything stays put, no matter what configuration of barrel or can you have.
View Quote
Kevin didn't design anything. Ethan Lessard and other SIG employees designed them. Regardless how long someone has been in the industry or how much expertise you'd think they have, they still made mistakes. After Kevin and Ethan left to start Q, SIG fixed their welding mistakes, particularly on the titanium models. That's why you see all of the newer SIG silencers from the last 2-3 years with the significantly narrower weld bead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the regular MCX and MCX Rattler of my own. We have three MCX Virtus SBRs on order for my PD (300 BO).  I have a 11.5 5.56 barrel for mine (along with th 6.75 and 9" 300 BO).  They system is very good and it is easy to work on.

I think you would enjoy a MCX Virtus.  I think you would also get addicted to all the available option.  I would recommend a pistol which you could SBR.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Appreciate all the input, but my KAC love wouldn't let me drop that kind of dough on a Sig. I'm sure it's nice, it's definitely innovative, but just bought another KAC 11.5 Mod 2. I'm gonna put the Sig suppressor on my MK18. Hopefully I can get it to run nicely without too much swapping buffers/ springs or having to add an adjustable GB. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top