Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2020 10:51:01 AM EDT
I discovered these sorts of plates, or I guess you could call them panels, while watching a MrGunsnGear video on a Botach Battle Steel panel that was called Level IIIA+. And basically it was a poly plate but made much thinner than the stuff they make for rifle threats. And what they ended up with was something the same weight as a IIIA soft panel but that could also stop stabbing thrusts and higher velocity pistol caliber hits.

Apparently even Hesco makes something similar which is their P210 model. Considering that one of these plates/panels weighs exactly one pound (10"x12" shooters cut) and is about a quarter inch thick, these seems really impressive for what they can do. I'm assuming it can't handle steel core versions of 5.7mm, since larger poly plates fail against M855 then a scaled down poly plate probably fails against a scaled down M855.

Does anyone know if any testing has been done, whether by a real laboratory or even just YouTubers (because some guy shooting at X with Y in his back yard and posting it on YouTube may not be ideal data, but it is data), on whether these sorts of panels can stop subsonic 300 Blackout, various kinds of 5.7mm, or 44 magnum and 357 magnum from rifle length barrels? I'd consider buying a P210 and testing it myself to find out, but I don't live in an area where I can easily just go out to the woods and shoot my guns without a bunch of nearby Democrats shitting their pants and calling the police. If they do indeed stop subsonic 300 blackout, 44/357 magnum from lever action rifle velocities, 9mm from PCC velocities, and most non-AP-style 5.7mm rounds, then this is basically the perfect lightweight low profile armor.

It would seem to make a worthwhile addition to ultra lightweight gear setups where you would normally only use a chest rig instead of a plate carrier. If you can protect your vitals from everything other than rifle threats for only one pound added weight, what's the logic of chest rigs that forgo any protection at all?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
.30 Carbine and .30 Tokarev would be interesting and relatively common test cases.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
P210 can stop 5.7 (unsure on what round but most likely just standard FMJ) and Tokarev
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Guessing consistent materials between say Hesco and other rigid plates (Dyneema?). Not sure which would have more layers, etc.

Sorry about the audio for the first three minutes in this video. Not sure what happened. But this is RMA's 1003 SRT IIIA+ plate. .8" thick. It had SS190 poke to the back at pistol speed, and complete penetration at SBR. It stopped M193 @ 3200 fps. It also stopped 7N6.

RMA Armament's Level IIIA+ 1003 SRT (Special Rifle Threat) Demo!

Here's a thinner IIIA+ that couldn't stop the high speed 5.7 rounds, except SS198LF. It could not stop a .223 FMJ either.

Veteran's MFG Armor; Can Plastic Body Armor Stop All Pistol Threats?

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged for interest. I was really curious about these as well. I know handguns are a much bigger threat in the conus, but the chances are if I’m going to put on armor it’s cause all bets are off and we’re roaming neighborhoods with rifles.

That said, these plates in a slickster or similar seems like a decent idea. Light enough I’d actually work out in them and wear them in the woods hiking. Cheaper than soft armor, and maybe worthwhile?

Last time I shopped I went with level 4 because I lived out west and everyone has a hunting rifle in their closet. Here in the SE now and I’m not sure if that’s still the case
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder if two plates would stop a rifle round.that would be right at 2 lbs. Still very light weight.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:
Wonder if two plates would stop a rifle round.that would be right at 2 lbs. Still very light weight.
View Quote

Maybe if you sandwiched then between a later of IIIA soft armor it would work sort of like some versions of non-explosive reactive armor they put on vehicles.

Sandwiching a layer of rubber between two layers of metal is known to be a good thing for vehicle armor. So how about a layer of soft armor between two rigid panels?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
Tagged for interest. I was really curious about these as well. I know handguns are a much bigger threat in the conus, but the chances are if I’m going to put on armor it’s cause all bets are off and we’re roaming neighborhoods with rifles. 

That said, these plates in a slickster or similar seems like a decent idea. Light enough I’d actually work out in them and wear them in the woods hiking. Cheaper than soft armor, and maybe worthwhile? 

Last time I shopped I went with level 4 because I lived out west and everyone has a hunting rifle in their closet. Here in the SE now and I’m not sure if that’s still the case
View Quote

A very thin light plate carrier/chest rig hybrid designed to take these thin IIIA+ panels but not full size rifle plates would be an interesting concept. If you've decided to forgo rifle plates and wear a chest rig for some application, why not add chest protection from all other non-rifle threats for only one added pound of weight? Pistols, PCCs, buckshot, slugs, stabbing thrusts, and explosive shrapnel covers quite a lot of threats for only one pound and 7mm thick. If these sorts of plates turn out to stop some subsonic rifle threats too, then that just makes them even more impressive.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:
Wonder if two plates would stop a rifle round.that would be right at 2 lbs. Still very light weight.
View Quote

I've wondered about this also. I'm considering adding one of these to my soft armor since my carrier has a pocket anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Wandell:

I've wondered about this also. I'm considering adding one of these to my soft armor since my carrier has a pocket anyway.
View Quote

I’m considering completely replacing my soft armor with plates like these. I have an old IOTV and that really makes more sense when you are worried about blasts and going by truck. For random idiots in America I would imagine it’s more handgun.

Isn’t it like only 400 deaths a year due to rifles? Granted I bet that goes up in the boog
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

I’m considering completely replacing my soft armor with plates like these. I have an old IOTV and that really makes more sense when you are worried about blasts and going by truck. For random idiots in America I would imagine it’s more handgun. 

Isn’t it like only 400 deaths a year due to rifles? Granted I bet that goes up in the boog
View Quote

And considering that approx 2/3rds of America's gun deaths each year are from suicide, how many of those rifle deaths are actually from a person shooting another person?

The more you think about it, the more Level IIIA/IIIA+ lightweight low profile armor makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been wondering about the P210s as well. Seems like a nice lightweight/budget option for the guy who wants and can't afford U210s.

I'll probably end up with RMA 1094s. But P210s might make a nice option for now and get rifle plates later.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Brian01:

And considering that approx 2/3rds of America's gun deaths each year are from suicide, how many of those rifle deaths are actually from a person shooting another person?

The more you think about it, the more Level IIIA/IIIA+ lightweight low profile armor makes a lot of sense.
View Quote

@Brian01

right... In all my life I've never been shot at, so arguably I don't need armor at all.
My thoughts are mostly for the big igloo. BUT if we get to that point I'm thinking rifles will rule the day and numbers for that year will skew. BUT again from everything I've read armor only saves you if you have dedicated combat medicine nearby, as rifle hits to the pelvis /extremities/face are game over, just not as quickly. I don't know, I'm trying not to spend much money at the moment, especially on "non-essentials" and I'm not sure where body armor fits into this equation.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Id definitely be looking at this if i felt the need for daily armor in todays environment.

My slick carrier is low pro enough for random craigslist sales.

Id still probably prefer soft lllA due to comfort.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Id definitely be looking at this if i felt the need for daily armor in todays environment.

My slick carrier is low pro enough for random craigslist sales.

Id still probably prefer soft lllA due to comfort.
View Quote

I’d trust your opinion more than most on plates and their effectiveness. Do you think there’s any non-boog reason to have stuff like this currently? I don’t typically meet people for deals except off this board
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And considering that approx 2/3rds of America's gun deaths each year are from suicide, how many of those rifle deaths are actually from a person shooting another person?

The more you think about it, the more Level IIIA/IIIA+ lightweight low profile armor makes a lot of sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm considering completely replacing my soft armor with plates like these. I have an old IOTV and that really makes more sense when you are worried about blasts and going by truck. For random idiots in America I would imagine it's more handgun.

Isn't it like only 400 deaths a year due to rifles? Granted I bet that goes up in the boog

But what about the Boog?

I don't think it'll be 6 shooters at 20 paces. Could be wrong. It may be a gentlemanly Boog where old fashioned conventions of honor are employed. Not sure,

All kidding aside, light weight, low profile sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I have pondered this as well. It's crossed my mind a minimalist PC setup with 3A hard plates for use with my Scorpion wouldn't be the worst thing to have. Figured it would be a good backup to have for the wife or even a buddy as well. I don't know, it's not really in the finances right now but it's on my radar
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By M4:

But what about the Boog?

I don't think it'll be 6 shooters at 20 paces. Could be wrong. It may be a gentlemanly Boog where old fashioned conventions of honor are employed. Not sure,

All kidding aside, light weight, low profile sounds good to me.
View Quote

Even during various SHTF-type scenarios, there's value in looking no different than every other random civilian rather than screaming tactical SEAL-larper in your appearance. You can avoid a lot of problems by not drawing attention to yourself.

Take the current pandemic as an example of how SHTF/boog conditions can slowly build up rather than immediately happen overnight. Obviously we're on a good path now and the boog didn't happen, but it easily could have gone that way. And you'd still have to go to the grocery store during potential civil unrest.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take that a step further and realize that if the boog kicks off, it will probably be preceded by months of really really bad times. During these times, everyone will try to act normally, but with increased vigilance. The main threats during that time may very well be jackings and various robbery/tipoff, mostly with handguns due to ability to easily conceal the weapon. I would say there could definitely be a place for these.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’d trust your opinion more than most on plates and their effectiveness. Do you think there’s any non-boog reason to have stuff like this currently? I don’t typically meet people for deals except off this board
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Id definitely be looking at this if i felt the need for daily armor in todays environment.

My slick carrier is low pro enough for random craigslist sales.

Id still probably prefer soft lllA due to comfort.

If you think you may need it someday than today is a good day to start training with it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Just how "flexible" are these panels?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just how "flexible" are these panels?
View Quote

no flex at all. I have a trauma plate sized sample as well as the full size one and they have zero give.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Id definitely be looking at this if i felt the need for daily armor in todays environment.

My slick carrier is low pro enough for random craigslist sales.

Id still probably prefer soft lllA due to comfort.
View Quote

Pics of your slick carrier?  I have an Eagle Lo-Vis carrier designed to be worn under a golf shirt/short sleeve button shirt.  I just haven't decided on what soft armor to put in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top