Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2021 4:15:20 PM EDT
I have a handfull of factory suppressors.  I have a R9 currently in jail and it pains me that it takes that long for them to clear.  I wandered into this section because I am debating doing a F1 suppressor.  I am thinking this would be primarily for .22lr and occationally .223.  I have looked into a little and as a child of the 80's the idea of a maglight suppressor peaks my interest.  It appears this route would be a much shorter wait time.

So it appears that NTC Trading Co sells a kit with aluminum cups and end cap and mount.  These cups are supposed to seal the rubber button hole in the body.  So will Aluminum cups hold up to .223?  I don't mind the weight or the length.

The long term plan would be to eventually send the body out and have it cut right after the button holes and have it threaded for the factory end cap and then drilled to use it as an end cap.  Also have a stainless blast sleeve installed for .223 use.  Once these mods were done, I assume that it woudl be a better fit for use with .223.

So regale this noob with your collective experiences and knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, aluminum has no business in a center fire rifle can except for very niche, lightweight hunting cans that never see prolonged strings of fire.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My advice would be to have a dedicated 22lr can and get a seperate can for 556.

For 22lr cans you cannot go wrong with XRT. His kits are the end all be all for 22lr form 1 cans. I mention his work to everyone because there really isn't a need to go with any other supplier for rimfire cans. His parta are just that nice and they're really cheap for what you're getting. I think my 5.9" set up was around $150.

Go with a 5.9 tube and shove anywhere from 9-11 baffles in there and not look back. I'd start there and if you have fun putting that together you can travel down the form 1 rabbit hole.

His website is: www.xrttactical.com

If you go this route and need some help with what to buy people here can contribute some good recipes.

The only reason I'd use a D Cell maglite is for an IDF clone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The more I look at it/think about it... I will more than likely not go the maglight route.  I will look into the linked site.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If you’re entertaining the idea of a maglite, look at the rechargeable version. No button hole, threaded the same pitch at both ends. You use the tail cap on one end, and a muzzle mount at the other. Fill the inside with all sorts of solvent trapping goodness
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:If you’re entertaining the idea of a maglite, look at the rechargeable version.
View Quote

At that point, why buy a maglite? Why not just start buying D cell solvent trap parts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top