Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 9:35:30 AM EDT
Got offered in trade a Winchester 43 in .218 Bee.  Been looking for a replacement for a vacancy left by Marlin 783 in .22WMR.  This will be a pure small/medium game gun.  Looking at this as a walk about gun on the NC coast/swamps.  I do have numerous ARs in 5.56 from 10.3-20" guns.  Do know that Bee is a .22-20 ie necked down .25-20 WCF and can also use .32-20 cases.  Another cartridge I'll have to load for.  Anyone ever run a heavy hard cast bullet for it?  Ranges will be under 100yds.

CD
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Never messed with it, always preferred the .22 Hornet.

I'd REALLY try and lay in a brass supply before trading, both of the parent cartridges are very hard to find themselves.

Just a note, 43's tend to develop excessive headspace over time
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Anyone ever run a heavy hard cast bullet for it?

CD
View Quote

I forget what twist Dad's Bee is, but he had to grind about half the nose off Sierra 50gr SP so you might be limited to ~50gr/0.6" long.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I always wanted one. In a Martini Henry would be first choice.
Jim Carmichael used to write about it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#4]
And I have a Martini Cadet altered to .218, and for a small centerfire it is huge fun to shoot, will take crows at 2-300 yds just fine. I seem to remember Harvey Donaldson talking about it in "Yours Truly," but it's been a while since I read it-- but it would have been right up there in his personal war on crows. Then my Dad took a couple of my empties and reamed out the primer pocket to take shotgun primers and pushed a .22 air rifle pellet into the neck-- we shoot it all winter long out in the shop for the cost of the primers and pellets.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for you thoughts.  Understand on the brass situation.  Been reloading for over 40 yrs.  I have time as I'm still down range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have some oddball calibers, IMO they are overrated. High velocity .22 LR is every bit as useful as a .218 Bee IMO. A lot cheaper and easier to source as well.

I own a Baby Browning in .25 acp.
A .32 acp Beretta 81.
Two 6mmWOA uppers.
6.8 SPC uppers
6.5 Grendel uppers
6.5x47mm
Several .41 Magnum revolvers.

My curiosity has cost me a lot of money. Because I reload, I am well stocked for everything except .25 acp and .32 acp. I can't imagine buying ammo at retail for my .41 Magnums.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some oddball calibers, IMO they are overrated. High velocity .22 LR is every bit as useful as a .218 Bee IMO. A lot cheaper and easier to source as well.

I own a Baby Browning in .25 acp.
A .32 acp Beretta 81.
Two 6mmWOA uppers.
6.8 SPC uppers
6.5 Grendel uppers
6.5x47mm
Several .41 Magnum revolvers.

My curiosity has cost me a lot of money. Because I reload, I am well stocked for everything except .25 acp and .32 acp. I can't imagine buying ammo at retail for my .41 Magnums.
View Quote

Also had a Baby Browning but never reloaded for the .25 either.  I reload for my cz50 7.65 and lots of .41 Mag also.  .41 was the cartridge my uncle taught me to reload back in 84'
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought .25 acp and .32 acp dies for emergency use, but never opened them yet. I purchased a bunch of CCI aluminum cased Blazer ammo in both calibers for cheap, on sale, decades ago. Still working through it...
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I forget what twist Dad's Bee is, but he had to grind about half the nose off Sierra 50gr SP so you might be limited to ~50gr/0.6" long.
View Quote

The Bee was designed to be levergun compatible hence the flat tip bullet dimensions.   They‘re a neat gun, never owned one, just a CZ hornet in my rack.

A 25-20 or even .32-20 trips my levergun trigger.

One has to look at these old cartridges in the timeline they were made.  We didn’t have 5.56, .22 Nosler or even .243 yet.  Inside a 100 yards they killed stuff, sometimes bigger stuff like deer that were out of the cartridge’s class.

These guns put pot meat on the table.  Back when people still ate coon and possum.  

A rimfire will do most of anything that a 25-20 will do other than scratch that nostalgia itch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#10]
My only lever gun currently is my Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag.  Only shot squirrels with it so far.  Bigger stuff refuse to come around when I carry it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My only lever gun currently is my Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag.  Only shot squirrels with it so far.  Bigger stuff refuse to come around when I carry it.
View Quote

my buddy had a .41 Marlin Cowboy.   I was surprised at how heavy it was with the octagon barrel.  Round barrels for me just for the weight even though they look ho hum.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the .218 bee and have often thought about picking up a model 43.  I had a Ruger #1 in .218 bee but way too heavy for that cartridge.  Fun little cartridge.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the .218 bee and have often thought about picking up a model 43.  I had a Ruger #1 in .218 bee but way too heavy for that cartridge.  Fun little cartridge.
View Quote

I had eyes for a Winchester low wall .22 Hornet.  They have been around under Browning and Winchester guise.   The sad part is my better days with irons are near over and I am a bit negative on scoping the 1885.  

Oh they had a ruger No3 carbine in .22 Hornet, Not sure if the Bee was ever chambered in the No3.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I used a Win 43 in 218.    It's a decent little cartridge, and very much fits the .22 Hornet or .222 Rem role....

First, DONT loose that 43 magazine.  replacements are unobtainium, and well north of $100 if you find one...

The I loaded 50 grain  Nosler Ballistic Tips.  It hammered crows and chucks with authority to  about 150 yards.  I'm assuming it would be decent well beyond that, but just never actually shot it further.  I had no issues or complaints with the .218.    

When loading, I treated it like a 30-30 or 303 Brit.  There was no need to full length resize on that rimmed cartridge.  I simply left the size die "up" a little, sized the neck and didn't resize the shoulder.  No need to work harden the shoulder.  Pressures are mild. Case life was good.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used a Win 43 in 218.    It's a decent little cartridge, and very much fits the .22 Hornet or .222 Rem role....

First, DONT loose that 43 magazine.  replacements are unobtainium, and well north of $100 if you find one...

The I loaded 50 grain  Nosler Ballistic Tips.  It hammered crows and chucks with authority to  about 150 yards.  I'm assuming it would be decent well beyond that, but just never actually shot it further.  I had no issues or complaints with the .218.    

When loading, I treated it like a 30-30 or 303 Brit.  There was no need to full length resize on that rimmed cartridge.  I simply left the size die "up" a little, sized the neck and didn't resize the shoulder.  No need to work harden the shoulder.  Pressures are mild. Case life was good.
View Quote

Good info.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do the same on a few cartridges, .22 Hornet, .303 Brit, and .38-55 off the top of my head.  That unsized portion of the neck also helps center the bullet in the bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top