Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2020 10:54:28 PM EDT
I came across the Compass Compact while looking for a short, light weight suppressor host that would do some work during deer season.

Ordered it from Smokey Mountain Guns in time to get the $50 rebate to bring it down to $310.  I will be buying more from them.

The gen2 advertises an improved trigger.  Having not experienced the gen2, this ones not bad. Very little creep or over travel and feels crisp around 4lbs.

The compact model comes with a 16.5" barrel and a 12.5" lop but also had a 1" spacer in the box.

I'd heard about the flimsy plastic stock but found it to be more substantial than expected.  It's stouter than the old savage Tupperware. It's comfortable and grippy enough. Has a nice palm swell in the forearm.  The barrel on this rifle rides closer to the right side but is still free floated.

The rifle didn't come out as light as expected.  They call it 6.5lbs but after a Weaver Kaspa 3-12 scope and some leftover badger rings, it tipped the scale at 8.6lbs. With a 30 cal swr omega can, it balances right on the magazine.  It carries nice and points offhand naturally.  It balances in the middle so well probably due to the massive tubular reciever that appears to have a 1/4" wall thickness.  The chamber area of the barrel is also beefy looking before it tapers to a more pencil like profile at the threaded muzzle.

The bolt travel in the reciever seemed a bit sticky at first but is quickly smoothing up after some oil and a couple hundred dry firings. There was a murkiness to the oil like I was wearing some of the finish off inside of the receiver.

After 5 sighted shots I ran a bore snake through it and fired a group with a hornady 129 interlock bullet loaded over 42 grns of h4350. The first shot was an inch high and the next 4 went into a 1/2"ish cluster.  I tried some hotter and heavier loads without much luck thanks to a 20mph wind that kicked up.  I'll load up some more loads to shoot next week at deer camp and maybe shoot a deer with it. For a 16" barrel, those 129s thump the gong pretty hard.

Everyone that shot it was surprised at how it handled and shot for its price tag. It lives up to all the hype from the gen 1 with the compact features. I'm happy with the purchase having only read reviews from the internet and not handling one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Got to thinking about the trigger this morning after another member mentioned that the trigger was adjustable.  I had found a gob of hard epoxy like glue covering a screw hole the day I brought it home that I'd picked at with a razor without luck.

I pulled  the action and put a heat gun to the glue this time.  After a while it softened to a point I could pick it out and get to the set screw.  Then backed it out a bit until the glue rehardened and reassembled.  

I'd guess it's under 3lbs now, much nicer.

Glue filled screw hole at the front of the trigger assembly.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a 6.5 compass II from KyGunCo. It was the combo package with vortex crossfire for $350 after rebate. Went through and took the rifle out of the stock and degreased everything and reassembled with blue loc-tite. Got the scope mounted. Everything seems solid and tight. Gun handles well. Bolt and safety aren’t particularly smooth: hopefully it will get better with use. Overall pretty damn happy for the price. Hope to get it sighted in on Friday.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure you'll like it.

I get the sticky bolt thing. It's like what ever the bolt and inside of the receiver are coated in like to stick to each other. The good news is they get less sticky the more wear you put on them.

I guess I've been stuck on playing with semi autos and heavy precision rifles so long that I forgot how much fun a light bolt gun is to play with. Every time I walk past it, it gets picked up and dry fired. I try to have a perfect offhand trigger break at a target and then run the bolt as hard and fast as I can without picking up my head.  Probably have 500 dry fires through it and the bolt keeps getting slicker. Developing a few shiny spots on the bolt. Guess I'll find out how much dry fire the pin will hold up too before it breaks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Got the compass out to see if we could find a deer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
129 interlocks out of a 16" are hard on deer (and a coyote) .

270 and 200 yards.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My son took a doe this morning with what is now dubbed the "Orphan-ator" at 156yrds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
my brother just got one, likes it quite a bit.
have note loaded for it yet, and only have a fixed 4x on it for now.
quite a handy little rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm seriously thinking about picking one of those up, in 308 Win. Don't own a bolt rifle now and those look like a real bargain.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I purchased two Gen 1s (.308 and 6.5C) for $219 each on a Academy sale and rebate a while back.  Both were lights out 1/2 MOA accurate.

Google Winchester trigger spring mod and you can tune the trigger up even more. There are also bolt handle swaps and a few other mods that make a huge difference in the feel of the bolt.  Boyd makes a very nice drop in stocks for them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased two Gen 1s (.308 and 6.5C) for $219 each on a Academy sale and rebate a while back.  Both were lights out 1/2 MOA accurate.

Google Winchester trigger spring mod and you can tune the trigger up even more. There are also bolt handle swaps and a few other mods that make a huge difference in the feel of the bolt.  Boyd makes a very nice drop in stocks for them.
View Quote

I talked a friend into a gen1 6.5c as his first rifle.  The trigger is just as heavy but there's like no adjustment with that spring screw set up.  I told him to look into getting spring kit.  The gen 2 trigger adjusts down to an acceptable level.
I thought about a boyds stock but I think they're heavier and dont seem to help accuracy and usually need bedded.  There's a chassis that I'd look at if it was light enough and it's $400.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I talked a friend into a gen1 6.5c as his first rifle.  The trigger is just as heavy but there's like no adjustment with that spring screw set up.  I told him to look into getting spring kit.  The gen 2 trigger adjusts down to an acceptable level.
I thought about a boyds stock but I think they're heavier and dont seem to help accuracy and usually need bedded.  There's a chassis that I'd look at if it was light enough and it's $400.
View Quote

I put a Boyd on the .308.  Still shot the same.  In a way the factory stock is real light but there is flex.  The trigger kits fixes the Lawyered up trigger and the bolt handle makes all the difference in the field.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Gen 1 in .308. The spring kit cost me about $10 with shipping and gave me a very acceptable 3ish pound hunting trigger.

As a bargain hunting gun the Compass works great, but before I started sinking. Obey into a chassis Id just upgrade to a better rifle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a gen 1 in 6.5 CM and a gen 1 in .30-06.

The MCARBO trigger springs are worth the money hands down.

The 6.5 is shooting repeatable .43 inch groups with deer season XP. The 06 is hanging around .65 and I haven’t tried anything but core lokt and deer season XP in it.

I bought a wilderness ridge Bergara in 300 WM and that led to a press set up and that led to 7mm RM dies and that led to a 7mm REM Mag rifle so I haven’t fooled with the T/C’s in a while now.

I’ll start loading for the CM next if dies and tooling ever return to normal. If not I have a case of Deer season XP.  The trigger and barrel warrant further exploration.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the shorty compass out to some longer range.
First 3 sighters at 100 were .75" and about an inch high. Which probably lead to the high hits on out.

1.5Mil hold with 129interlock handloads at 300
Attachment Attached File

Took it out to 400 with a 2.5mil hold and was 50/50 with hits on the top edge of the plate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#15]
A year later and this is still my favorite deer rifle. Just hammered a toad of a 10 point tonight. 140 yard quartering shot right through the shoulder, exiting behind the rib cage. Bullet found just under the hide.
Attachment Attached File

129grn 6.5 hornady interlock out of a 16" creedmoor @ 2725.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow! Looks like a handy little gun! I may need to snag one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow! Looks like a handy little gun! I may need to snag one.
View Quote

With the supressor on it, its shorter than a 24" bolt gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top