Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2021 9:11:03 PM EDT
Took almost an hour to figure it out. Now I have to wait until the holidays are over time find out if I screwed it up or not.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Explain please
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Paper patch bullets, what caliber and I hope it's black powder.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a dowel purchased from "Guns of the West" for .44 but for .36 I use a plastic Bic pen cap. I leave paper over the top of the ball and give it a tight pig tail and trim it off with a little nub on top. I use hair curling paper and it works perfectly with a stick glue to seal it. Once you figure out your technique you can roll these out pretty fast.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, this is the Guns of the West kit, in 44. The hardest is getting the balls to roll on the glue the right way - need colored glue! I spilled a couple thinking the glue had set when it had, but was not on the damn paper! I'll probably wait to apply lube until on the line - I will need to get one of the conical bullets to see if it will work better in the kit like he shows in his video. On the other hand, a buddy sent me a video on skin cartridges, and THAT is both borderline gross AND a complicated pain in the butt that makes these look like a walk in the park! I'll be making some more tonight, since the range is kind of closed and everyone is at work on the holiday. Oh well.

@51-140 - 25 grains of Goex FFFG in cigarette paper cartridges using the above kit and Hornaday .454 caliber balls.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, this is the Guns of the West kit, in 44. The hardest is getting the balls to roll on the glue the right way - need colored glue! I spilled a couple thinking the glue had set when it had, but was not on the damn paper! I'll probably wait to apply lube until on the line - I will need to get one of the conical bullets to see if it will work better in the kit like he shows in his video. On the other hand, a buddy sent me a video on skin cartridges, and THAT is both borderline gross AND a complicated pain in the butt that makes these look like a walk in the park! I'll be making some more tonight, since the range is kind of closed and everyone is at work on the holiday. Oh well.

@51-140 - 25 grains of Goex FFFG in cigarette paper cartridges using the above kit and Hornaday .454 caliber balls.
View Quote

You don't have to roll the balls in the glue at all. Just leave enough paper to twist over the top of the ball and that will hold it in place, hair curling paper is much more forgiving than cigarette paper. If you want you can glue the pigtail after you trim it to a nub. In other words, make a tube longer than you need and twist it over the top of the ball so there is no exposed lead, you don't even have to glue the nub if you don't want to. I just glue the bottom and sides of the paper, I don't even make a separate part for the bottom. I just fold the paper on the bottom and glue that in place. Makes a completely paper encased cartridge. For lube, I place a wax cookie between the powder and the ball.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen that, but I was following the instructions from Guns of the West, since it is his kit. I already cut the paper short, so i would have to buy more to make it work that way, but thank you. You don't have any issues with the left over paper in front of the ball when loaded?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen that, but I was following the instructions from Guns of the West, since it is his kit. I already cut the paper short, so i would have to buy more to make it work that way, but thank you. You don't have any issues with the left over paper in front of the ball when loaded?
View Quote

I have had some paper (at times) with both cigarette and hair curling papers leave remnants in the cylinders but randomly and they never seemed to be smoldering. I always look before I load. I like the hair curling paper because it is easier to work with and more forgiving (less tares) and you get a billion of them in a box. Funny thing though, I had to order them on line as no hair stylist or even box stores carried them anymore. I guess it's just not a thing anymore. I really like the Guns of the West dowel I have and I bought that one before he offered the full kits but I almost always mod things to my liking.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Look up Eras Gone molds and look into making nitrated papers. There is a book out there with complete instructions as well as cutting patterns and former sizes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
how well do they load and fire for you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd like to try that Eras Gone stuff when I can.
Between 12 hour shifts and a LOT of rain, I haven't been out to the range yet. Forecast says cool and dry this weekend, so, fingers cross, I will be out to try them out!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
how well do they load and fire for you?
View Quote

In my experience with paper cartridges, they make loading much quicker and a lot less messy. It's as fast as you can ram a ball and turn the cylinder, then cap up and you are ready for shooting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
A buddy also showed me a new capper that looks like a Texas star, holds the caps way out on plastic wings, and it apparently is VERY fast and easy to snap 6 on. Only on E-bay but payday I think I will order a few.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top