Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2020 5:17:33 PM EDT
My timing sucks, and I decided to start playing with my ACR again, including SBRing it, right before Remington decided to stop making them.  I found what the seller thought was a factory 10.5" barrel, for a good price, thinking it would be good to have some spare parts and all.

What I got was this.  A Remington defense 8.5" PDW barrel.  It's too short to suppress, and the gas system is different than the 10'5" guns.  But they seem kind of rare, so I decided to keep it.

I cant imagine any use for a 5.56 this short, but it looks kind of neat, so why not.

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you decide you don't want it, pm me :)
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
My timing sucks, and I decided to start playing with my ACR again, including SBRing it, right before Remington decided to stop making them.  I found what the seller thought was a factory 10.5" barrel, for a good price, thinking it would be good to have some spare parts and all.

What I got was this.  A Remington defense 8.5" PDW barrel.  It's too short to suppress, and the gas system is different than the 10'5" guns.  But they seem kind of rare, so I decided to keep it.

https://i.imgur.com/mXvKm2R.jpg

I cant imagine any use for a 5.56 this short, but it looks kind of neat, so why not.

https://i.imgur.com/YjwQqrR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZfPOwrl.jpg
View Quote
Why is it too short to suppress?   I know my Sandman has no minimum barrel length and others would be the same.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I’ve seen promotional pics of the PDW ACR but didn’t know any of the parts had leaked out. Def hang onto that as a piece of neat ACR history.

10.5” barrels shouldn’t be as hard to find, and if nothing else, you could find a 16” and have it cut down.  Hopefully someone gets the leftover barrels and blows them out like the ACR stocks at CDNN.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jhereg:

Why is it too short to suppress?   I know my Sandman has no minimum barrel length and others would be the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jhereg:

The shoulder is just under where the gas regulator, and cylinder meet, and the muzzle is just about even with the front edge of the regulator.  I don't think you could shim a muzzle device out far enough, to mount a suppressor.

Originally Posted By Findsman:
Wow, I’ve seen promotional pics of the PDW ACR but didn’t know any of the parts had leaked out. Def hang onto that as a piece of neat ACR history.

10.5” barrels shouldn’t be as hard to find, and if nothing else, you could find a 16” and have it cut down.  Hopefully someone gets the leftover barrels and blows them out like the ACR stocks at CDNN.
I had my factory 16" 1/9 cut down to 12.5", and I've also got a 10.5" that someone made from a Spikes tactical barrel way back when, but Id also like to find a factory 10.5" one of these days.

I really hope someone picks up the program, and keeps it going.  It's going to suck not to be able to get parts when needed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:

I really hope someone picks up the program, and keeps it going.  It's going to suck not to be able to get parts when needed.
View Quote
I agree - it seemed like we finally hit the stride on the ACR as a mature platform, and now Remington seemingly unplugs all of Bushmaster. The only upside would be if they continued as Remington ACRs, but I doubt it.

They survived Cerberus, just to get whacked by this? Sucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The pdw barrel isn’t long enough to suppress because the regulator will get in the way.  It looks really awesome on your setup.

I have one here for a customer and when I get to my pc I’ll show it versus a 10.5 and a 10.3” barrel.

The pdw is my favorite non suppressed Acr.  It’s so short and handy although it’s insanely loud. It’s fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr_Nimslow] [#7]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
The pdw barrel isn’t long enough to suppress because the regulator will get in the way.  It looks really awesome on your setup.

I have one here for a customer and when I get to my pc I’ll show it versus a 10.5 and a 10.3” barrel.

The pdw is my favorite non suppressed Acr.  It’s so short and handy although it’s insanely loud. It’s fun as hell to shoot.
View Quote
I imagine it's "rattle your fillings" loud.

Now I just need one of your trunnions, so I can run it.  I was kind of surprised they bothered with an adjustable U/S regulator, unless they were messing with a purpose built suppressor for the PDW.

Right now, the 12.5" is turning out to be my favorite barrel for this rifle.  I'm looking for a better 1/7 12.5" to send you for conversion, just trying to decide if I want to stick with the mid length gas system, or go with carbine.

Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I run carbine on everything.  It pushes the gas block weight back which helps with the front end weight.  I have a 12.5" grendel and it feels awesome.  The midlength is a little bit more nose heavy.  I personally don't notice a difference in carbine or midlength on an Acr.  They feel about the same to me.

Here's the Pdw barrel versus a 10.5" factory barrel.  As a reference, the 10.3" barrel ends right in front of the handguard with minimal gap from the rail to the can.  The 10.5" has enough of a gap that you can fit a finger if you get too aggressive.

Pdw Acr by bigdog2003_99, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top