Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/14/2022 1:16:09 AM EDT
To avoid cluttering up the blades section, I'll just continually update this thread. I hope y'all enjoy.  

This is a damascus knife that I made somewhat recently, the pattern was pretty tight so I went with a lighter etch than maybe is "traditional." The handle was made from whitetail deer antler, and spalted magnolia with black g10 liners.  I did not make this leather sheath either, leathermaking isn't something I've dove off into quite just yet, but I figure I will start trying it out here pretty soon, it'll be about time. The damascus is constituted of 1095 and 15n20.

" />
" />
" />

The rest of these completed knives were made a good while ago, eventually I'll get around to posting some more recent creations, I'm just working my way through the albums.  

This knife was made from 1084, with a layered black and blue g10 scales.  I don't deviate much from 1084 if I am making a mono-steel knife, I say if it isn't broke don't fix it, but I do occasionally use 80crv2 or 1095.

" />
" />
" />

These two knives went out together, kind of a nessmuck-ish deal on the design. The handle of the all wooden one was made from dogwood, and the other was black walnut and murano sheep's horn.

" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />

These are some pictures of a damascus knife I am currently making, I thought it looked pretty good out of the etch, so I figured I'd go ahead and put a couple pictures up.

" />
" />

Here is a dagger style knife I made awhile back, it was the first dagger style knife I ever attempted. I actually made a brother to this one as well with black walnut handles, I don't guess I got pictures of that one but I know the individual that has that one pretty well, so I may grab it up and take some pictures of it.  I wouldn't say he's been nice to it, but it is still going strong.

" />
" />
" />
" />

This is a knife I just finished, the leather sheath is one of my first attempts at leatherworking, I don't think it's terrible, but I wouldn't say it was all that good either, also when I was sanding the antler smooth on one side that concentric dark mark appeared while I was hand sanding it, and I'm not sure what that is, I've never seen that before.  The handle is spalted magnolia and smoothed whitetail anter.

" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I forgot to mention that the last damascus knife pictured is a combination of 5160, 15n20, and ni200.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are are very nice looking work and practical use designs. Very impressive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
good work! I really like the antler handle

how do you do your heat treat?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
good work! I really like the antler handle

how do you do your heat treat?
View Quote

There is a short story and a long story.

Short story is that I use a propane forge that has been somewhat modified for as much consistency as I can get out of it, it has an inner chamber so the flame isn't directly heating the blade, sorta like a muffle tube but a little more engineered, thermo-couple and PID, the chamber heats up thus heating the blade, it's much more even that way, which I'm sure you know, and whatever quenchant is appropriate for the steel, parks 50 or AAA.  Around two and a half to three years ago I had access to a chemistry lab at a university, that combined with a lot of trial and error, I hammered out processes for the steels I listed above, especially the 1084, and a little bit of 5160, which I don't think I included in my list, but I don't hardly ever use 5160 unless its in a damascus mixture, and it's always in the mixture of 5160, 15n20, and ni200, which I incorrectly listed as s200 above. With the homogenization of the materials, carbon migration, ect. It seems to behave alot like plain 5160 in the heat treating process, that's what I gathered from tinkering with it some, but I started using it after I had the lab access so I am just comparing it to what I already know, but I've made several and people have been using them and I haven't heard that there is an issue, they definitely get as hard.

The time the chem lab was available to me, and what I was able to discern there is why I pretty much never deviate from 1084, 80crv2, or 1095, other than simple damascus mixtures, that coupled with the fact that while my propane forge is pretty modified, it is still a propane forge and those steels lend themselves to that method pretty well.  I could talk about all the things I did, processes, and tests I tried before I was satisfied while I had access to the lab equipment, but that would be quite the write up.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are are very nice looking work and practical use designs. Very impressive.
View Quote

Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are some great looking blades.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Added one more to the original post.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just added another knife, one of my first leather attempts, and I'm not sure what that circle around the pin on that one side is.  I find it odd that it is perfectly concentric with the pin, I didn't overheat them, and the pin hole wasn't loose, but I don't think it detracts from the overall look much if at all.  I haven't sharpened this one yet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Sound off y'all, I'd like to get some feed back.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That first one is a Stunner.

I like the color combinations and the low tip shape.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top