Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2023 11:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgun357]
I am thinking of getting a bolt action rifle, just feel I want a new toy to play with at the range. I am pretty sure I want it in .223 since I keep a lot of .223 and 5.56 on hand to feed the ARs. I don't plan on hunting with it, just want to punch holes in paper. What would be a good model to seek out? The only name I know of would be a Remington 700. I want something I can put a nice Scope on.

Also can bolt guns in .223 shoot 5.56 safely?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If it’s a target gun I would pick a Tikka if it has to do duty as a defensive or predator gun I might pick a Ruger American that runs AR mags. Almost all .223 bolt actions are accurate.

This Scope
Probably Talley lightweight 30mm ring mounts on the Tikka or on the Ruger Warne 30mm for picatinny rail.
If you go Ruger be sure to blue locktite the base screws just a little.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
FAQ: 5.56mm NATO vs .223 Rem
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have wanted a steyr scout in 5.56 but I know I'll regret not getting .308 or something
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
If it’s a target gun I would pick a Tikka if it has to do duty as a defensive or predator gun I might pick a Ruger American that runs AR mags. Almost all .223 bolt actions are accurate.

This Scope
Probably Talley lightweight 30mm ring mounts on the Tikka or on the Ruger Warne 30mm for picatinny rail.
If you go Ruger be sure to blue locktite the base screws just a little.
View Quote

Howa, but I'm not sure they run AR magazines

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Tikka Varmint would be a good choice.  If you're fine paying a bit more then getting a used CZ 527 off of Gunbroker would be a good option - they go just over $1,000 now and are really nice rifles.  Also the Ruger Hawkeye Predator.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Tikka T3x Varmint in 223.  Very accurate rifle!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d get a Tikka T3.  Don’t think they’re chambered in 5.56 though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:40:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#8]
Do you want an off the shelf rifle or a custom that you can put together yourself with minimal tools?

Here's my Bighorn/Zermatt TL-2:
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd go with a Ruger American or a Howa.

The Ruger accepts AR-15 style mags while the Howa doesn't right out of the box.

I think there is an aftermarket conversion available though.

I have an old 2000 vintage Savage Tactical that is amazingly accurate and a blast to plink with out to 600 yards!

I never got the hate for a bolt action .223. They are a very versatile platform in my book.

I shoot 5.56 in mine all the time with no issues, but it has a 5.56 throat even though it's marked .223 Rem.

I also shoot heavy bullets and even the M856 tracers through it and it stabilizes them well even though it has a slower 1/9 twist that is supposed to limit out at around 69-75 grains.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone should have a 223 bolt gun. I went with a Remington 700, still one of my favorite rifles.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Im a poor so Im ruuning a Savage FV from BassPro with a Mueller 8-32x scope and a single shot sled adapter (the blind box mag is impossible).  Spent some of what I saved to set up a single stage press, I can load sub-MOA ammo for what basic fmj from most makers costs.  Big heavy rifle tho

Next will be a Howa mini

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading this and a few other pages, I am leaning toward the Ruger Ranch in 5.56. The use of AR mags and 5.56 grabbed my attention. Throw a decent scope and Bipod should make it a gun shooter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The Ruger is a good utility rifle, but my favorite .223 bolt action is a Remington mdl 7.  Watch for a slow twist rate on .223 rifles in general, they require lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Tikka T3X Tac A1 223. Look no further!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
I’d get a Tikka T3.  Don’t think they’re chambered in 5.56 though.
View Quote

They are made for the European CIP spec instead of SAAMI.  CIP doesn't differentiate between 223 and 5.56 and can handle both.  You're good to shoot 5.56 through the Tikka 223 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a chance to buy a Ruger Hawkeye in .223.  Am I stuck with.223 or will the rifle function with M193?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
For punching paper, I would go .222 or 22 BR. It’s fun to punch teeny tiny groups.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#18]
this my 223 bolt gun Tikka Super Varmit
heavy modded though but it shoots lights out
when i do my part .

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up a CZ600 Alpha today. Still debating on a scope so I haven't shot it yet.
The Alpha has a 24" med/heavy barrel that is threaded and is a 1:7 twist.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Savage 25 that loves 45 and 50 gr VMAX

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cigardad:
I have a chance to buy a Ruger Hawkeye in .223.  Am I stuck with.223 or will the rifle function with M193?
View Quote

I'm not sure if the Ruger chamber is actually .223 or 5.56, but I suspect it's .223.  You could try confirming with Ruger.  Assuming it's .223, in your position, I'd check with my gunsmith to confirm that reaming the chamber to .223 Wylde is an option.  I believe it would be a pretty simple and low-cost operation.  Someone who knows for sure will probably be along shortly to confirm one way or another.  The Ruger Hawkeyes are nice rifles.

I'm in a similar boat in that I'm looking for a .223/5.56 bolt gun mainly as a range toy/practice gun.  Being able to shoot cheap 5.56 is important to me too and I'd like a fast twist barrel.  The added complication is that I'm left-handed.  If anyone thinks the pickings are slim in .223 bolt guns, they should try finding a decent lefty option.  Other than Savage, which I'm not interested in, they're pretty much unicorns.  I'm about ready to go custom; just need to decide on an action and barrel profile.  The stock will be an AG CAT to match my .300WM.  I'll use a Triggertech Primary and BDL floorplate for the same reason.  The barrel will probably be a Carbon Six prefit, just debating between Sendero and featherweight.  Action will be either a Kauger VPR or Curtis Scout.  The .300 is on a Mesa Summit.  I'd buy another of those, but they don't offer a .223 bolt face.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have numerous 223 bolt guns. I shoot them  out to 1,000 yards in matches and further when I’m not competing. I have Savages, Remingtons, and various custom builds. Each one is outstanding. But, they really excel with ammo way longer and hotter than AR ammo.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank You.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By WI-2021:

I'm not sure if the Ruger chamber is actually .223 or 5.56, but I suspect it's .223.  You could try confirming with Ruger.  Assuming it's .223, in your position, I'd check with my gunsmith to confirm that reaming the chamber to .223 Wylde is an option.  I believe it would be a pretty simple and low-cost operation.  Someone who knows for sure will probably be along shortly to confirm one way or another.  The Ruger Hawkeyes are nice rifles.

I'm in a similar boat in that I'm looking for a .223/5.56 bolt gun mainly as a range toy/practice gun.  Being able to shoot cheap 5.56 is important to me too and I'd like a fast twist barrel.  The added complication is that I'm left-handed.  If anyone thinks the pickings are slim in .223 bolt guns, they should try finding a decent lefty option.  Other than Savage, which I'm not interested in, they're pretty much unicorns.  I'm about ready to go custom; just need to decide on an action and barrel profile.  The stock will be an AG CAT to match my .300WM.  I'll use a Triggertech Primary and BDL floorplate for the same reason.  The barrel will probably be a Carbon Six prefit, just debating between Sendero and featherweight.  Action will be either a Kauger VPR or Curtis Scout.  The .300 is on a Mesa Summit.  I'd buy another of those, but they don't offer a .223 bolt face.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WI-2021:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a factory 223 bolt gun that had issues with 556. Most aren’t going to have super tight chambers and the actions are crazy strong.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#25]
223 bolt guns are just fun to shoot and don't beat you up.

I have a Rem 700 tactical and really like it. Chassis or MagP hunter stock for detache mag. Tons of aftermarket for 700.

Biggest gripe with 223 factory guns is twist rate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tangeant:

I have a Rem 700 tactical and really like it. Chassis or MagP hunter stock for detache mag. Tons of aftermarket for 700.

View Quote

Lots of good twist options now from Remington Ruger and Tikka. Probably more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. 👍
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Ive got a ruger hawkeye african in .223. (Seriously) I love it. She swings and points like a fine english bird gun and the express sights are fast and fun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm in the same boat OP.

I'm looking for a mag fed, bolt action, with 1/8 twist, threaded barrel, 16-20" barrel.

The Rugers were a contender, but online reviews are not great.  Gritty bolt throw, avg accuracy.

Tikka, Howa, Remington, CZ are in the running.

Ill shoot it out to 600yds or so,  but don't need a competition level rifle.  This is for plinking and pest control.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Ruger American Ranch in MDT Chassis
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View All Quotes

Yes, looks like new production Rem 700 Tactical and SPS Varmint are available in 1:8 .
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
The Ruger is a good utility rifle, but my favorite .223 bolt action is a Remington mdl 7.  Watch for a slow twist rate on .223 rifles in general, they require lighter bullets.
View Quote

It's my understanding the new 700 in .223 have a 1/8 twist.  That is a huge improvement over the 1/12's.  Unfortunately, I have all the .223's I need.  

kwg
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

The newer .223 Hawkeyes have a 1/9 twist but I would get that confirmed before you buy.    I can't confirm that all Hawkeyes have the 1/9 twist.  A call to Ruger might be the right answer.   Be prepared to give them a serial number.  

kwg
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you.  It does have the 1/9 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By rob78:
I'm in the same boat OP.

I'm looking for a mag fed, bolt action, with 1/8 twist, threaded barrel, 16-20" barrel.

The Rugers were a contender, but online reviews are not great.  Gritty bolt throw, avg accuracy.

Tikka, Howa, Remington, CZ are in the running.

Ill shoot it out to 600yds or so,  but don't need a competition level rifle.  This is for plinking and pest control.
View Quote

My RAR in 300 BO suck(s/ed) and broke (trigger stopped resetting) after about 100 rounds.... and it feels like a $300 rifle, not a $550 rifle.  Sure, it takes AR mags... but that is about its only good point in my experience. And even then it ain't such a big deal (for me anyway)

My Howa mini is a dream, and I'm about to buy a second (first is in 762x39, second will be 223).  Mag and release are kinda weird (you need to be aware of it if walking with the gun, otherwise you could find yourself missing a mag)

My Savage is a big honkin' monster compared to the Howa, not that that is a bad thing (you need to decide... but that 26" heavy barrel is long and heavy...), if you are looking for bench or varmint work (not a walking field gun) it would work fine.  If you were gonna go hiking over hill and dale, I'd go lighter/shorter/smaller.  Plenty accurate though (sub-moa)

Haven't played with Remington or Tikka, of the two I'd go with the Tikka though simply because of all I've read about Remington quality decline over the past few decades and bankruptcies

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NukeThemTillTheyGlow] [#36]

View All Quotes

I too have an older R700 SPS .223.  Put it in a Magpul Hunter stock, and have a bunch of Magpul mags and other accessories, but really want to rebarrel it for 5.56 and be able to shoot everything I have for AR's, esp. 77g BH/IMI MK262 style ammo.   And suppressor ready.  What barrels, chambers (thinking 223 Wylde), twist rate (thinking 1/8)  do other .223/5.56 bolt gun owners suggest?  Ideally, I'd like to do the swap myself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked this up. Adding an Arken 4-16. Trying to keep it semi cheap. Will see how it shoots in this stock then may stiffen it up a bit.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Looking into this also and will probably go with a Ruger since it will be mostly range and plinking.  what are you  thoughts on a something like a vortex 1X8 Strike Eagle? or would this scope be better suited fora scout rifle?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By capnjim:
Looking into this also and will probably go with a Ruger since it will be mostly range and plinking.  what are you  thoughts on a something like a vortex 1X8 Strike Eagle? or would this scope be better suited fora scout rifle?
View Quote

It's not a Scout scope so you couldn't mount it forward on a scout gun if that's what you're asking. A 1-8 is pretty good for plinking it just depends on what you are doing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#40]
Lots of good info here. I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 26 barrel. It’s accurate but has the slow 1-12 barrel.

I would really like to upgrade to a 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel. It’s probably cheaper to sell this and buy a whole new rifle than to rebarrel this one.

Why don’t the big companies make a 5.56 bolt action?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:
Lots of good info here. I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 26 barrel. It’s accurate but has the slow 1-12 barrel.

I would really like to upgrade to a 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel. It’s probably cheaper to sell this and buy a whole new rifle than to rebarrel this one.

Why don’t the big companies make a 5.56 bolt action?
View Quote

You mean like Ruger? Most of the bolt guns shoot 556 just fine. A Remage barrel is cheaper than a new gun whether it's worth it is up to you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#42]
OP I’ve thought about doing the same just for something fun and different, and easy for the kids to shoot that would use the same ammo I already have.

I think the Ruger is a great choice but never delved too far into the weeds on twist rate or anything as in my mind it would just be for plinking.  It just seems to have good features for the price and have great aftermarket support.  I haven’t picked one up yet, but it’s on the short list.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I think my 223 bolt gets out the most of any of my gun-safe critters. Simple REM SPS in an HS stock... I do have to change out that trigger
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#44]
For budget pick, I'd vote Howa mini or Ruger American.  Tikka too...

My Howa

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Mounted a pic rail to the Ruger American and tried it out.
Pretty amazed at the results for a sub $500 rifle with 77gr rounds.
Scope is a $399 Arken ELP 4-16.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#46]
I really like and will probably get me a Hera H6  Bolt action when it comes out at the end of this year

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
I really like and will probably get me a Hera H6  Bolt action when it comes out at the end of this year

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/208058_c0318d5482f04892b87b53cc1d156285_-2839994.jpg

View Quote

That thing is fucking weird.

I kinda dig it
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#48]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326068/208058_c0318d5482f04892b87b53cc1d156285_-2839994.jpg

View Quote

God Damn, I like it, but its pricy... But if its good, then I would likely put the money down for one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

1/9 twist?

Nope.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top