Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2019 9:24:39 PM EDT
I’m not new to bp, I used to hunt black powder, but I never owned a pistol. I’ll only have one, so I want a nice American one. What are some extra nice models?
Also, I’m a fan of the Clint Eastwood movies, what did his character use in those films?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uberti 1858 Remington.
View Quote
Awesome pistol but I want something made in the USA
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like colt made some modern repros of their famous pistols.  I want a Colt branded bp pistol.   I’m looking at either a Navy, or a Walker.  Which is best?  I understand the Navy is 36 cal and the Walker is 44 cal.  Any opinions?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
NAA Companion mini revolver C&B.  I have not fired mine yet.

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22m-cb/

I got the kit with the extra cylinder, extra bullets, bag and holster.

rob
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the Colt replicas were licensed by colt, and made from Italian parts.  The Italians kept the old guns alive because of the spaghetti Westerns, and to this day shooting old replicas of American guns is a passion with them, probably more so than it is in America today.  On several models the parts are completely interchangeable with the originals.   Which I think is the case with the 1860 Army.  You could put Uberti parts on an original and vise versa.

The only difference is the modern replicas have better metallurgy. That's important, the modern Walkers can actually hold their charge without going boom.

If you want a Walker then the only practical option is the Italians.   There were only 1100 Walkers made, and a third of those blew up because of their metallurgy.  The price for an original Walker is approaching a million dollars.  However, you can still get an original 1860 Army, if you want to pay a couple of thousand.  There were also a lot of Dragoons made, but they'll run you more.  I can't imagine shooting either of those on the regular, but I guess you could if you had your heart set on a made-in-America example.

Personally, I'd just get an Uberti and enjoy shooting it.  It's never going to be a collectable in our lifetime.  The price of admission is reasonable, and the quality is great. At least as good as the originals with better metallurgy. You can pay a little and get a gunsmith to slick one up for you, and you're good to go.

If you want one of the replicas licensed by Colt here you go...

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-modern-blackpowder-replicas/

Here's the story on the Colt signature series....

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/6/18/i-have-this-old-gun-colt-3rd-generation-signature-series-1851-navy/

They're Uberti parts, stamped Colt, and assembled at the Hartford plant, that will run you over twice the price of just buying an Uberti. But they were assembled in America by Colt.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, I’m a fan of the Clint Eastwood movies, what did his character use in those films?  Thanks
View Quote
In the Outlaw Josey Wales he used a brace of Colt 1847 Walkers and a Colt 1860 in his belt.  A Colt 1849 pocket was in his shoulder holster.  These can be had from Uberti from various importers.  I prefer the Dragoons over the Walker personally.  The 1860 is one of the most elegant looking of the black powder revolvers.

The other spaghetti westerns were mostly conversion revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
As I said in my thread, in my opinion the quality of the Uberti Walker is quite good.  So far I've lucked out on the dropping loading lever.  Which is a flaw that the originals had as well.  With a couple of hundred rounds through mine, it still holds tight.

It is a heavy gun, around 5 lbs loaded, but I've actually gotten use to it.  I like it's ability to hold 50-60 grains of powder.  With the right bullet, I'd be comfortable hunting with it.

I see no reason (for me) to buy one of Colt's Signature Series guns.  I guess they're more "collectible" having only been produced for a short time, decades ago.  But to shoot?  I don't think I'd pay 2 or 3 times more for a Colt assembled and marked, Uberti gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top